The Viners Again - This Time in another Field......

NewHolland2

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How much of the year do the peas take up for you Andy with seeding, vining and whatever else is involved with the growng process??

Basically we start drilling as soon as poss in March then drill right through to the end of May hopefully not into June too much.  Then harvest usually kicks off mid June (depending on when we started drilling) running through to mid August.  Thats it in a nutshell.  The rest of the year is time to take holiday ;D.  We start planning the next harvest before the current one ends so it is the ongoing job of planning it all through the winter.

Thanks for the info Andy/Ollie.  :)

Does the land need much preparation before drilling, ie ploughing etc or can it be done with minimum cultivation??  Does it need spraying at all or fertiliser applied??

I'm still sorting through this year's vining pics and I came across this one which I thought made quite an interesting scene...... :) :) ;)

i bet that eletronic sign says something along the words of

" oh you stop gawping at those fine machines,it can cause an accident you numpty"

must have been distracting all that kit there like that

Great pics mart

Cheers mate...... :) :) ;)

Does the land need much preparation before drilling, ie ploughing etc or can it be done with minimum cultivation??  Does it need spraying at all or fertiliser applied??

This field was ploughed prior to seeding and then was run over with a Vaderstad NZ Galant cultivator and Kongskilde Triple K......Pics on my website...... :) :) ;)

i bet that eletronic sign says something along the words of

" oh you stop gawping at those fine machines,it can cause an accident you numpty"

must have been distracting all that kit there like that

Could well be possible mate...... :D :D ;)

Could have an interesting site next season mart as the viner people are on about buying a JD 8530 for cultivations etc before and after peas etc so will have a big machine up your way  ;)

Sounds good mate...... :)

Could you ask your mate to give you some field locations if that would be possible just so I can track them down?  :);)

I'll ask him mate but dont see him till after xmas as he's now gone home so i will let you know what he says when i next see him.  And be warned i may be up your way next year with them if all goes to plan ;):D :D :D you have been warned :D  so may find more info

I'll ask him mate but dont see him till after xmas as he's now gone home so i will let you know what he says when i next see him.  And be warned i may be up your way next year with them if all goes to plan ;):D :D :D you have been warned :D  so may find more info

Excellent mate......Cheers......Any chance of a ride if you do come up?  ;D:D;)

Peas are realy versitale in the way the are grown as they seem to enjoy growing in stiff soil so direct drilling poses no problem if the condtions are right.

Were I work all the vining peas are sown in rye grass with direct drilling to cut costs with out cutting yeild.Other farmers grow there peas back to back or once every 4th year the guys doing that tend to plough as a means of disease control and then roll the paddock once the peas are about 1inch high.

A common senario.

Peas grown after barley that has had the straw baled and worked once.

4L/ha of Round up on before drilling to clean up any regrown grain and a flush of spring weeds.

300kg/ha(high rate) of seed and 300kg/ha of fert(15.10.10) sown with a Vaderstat rapid or the likes.

Pea seed hates being close to the fert and can be burnt because the fert is to "hot" for the seed if the drill can't put the fert down in a band away from the seed then often the fert is spread on just before drilling.

Once the crop is growing you could come in with basic weed spray of 3.5L/ha of MCPB to tidy up grass weeds.

If the wheather has been overcast for a few days mildew can be a real sod in peas 1L/ha of Bravo more often than not keeps mildew at bay.

If aphids are around because the planting was late then 40mls/ha of Karatie once will often is enough to see the crop through untill harvest.

Hope that helped.

:-\ :-[

Peas are realy versitale in the way the are grown as they seem to enjoy growing in stiff soil so direct drilling poses no problem if the condtions are right.

Were I work all the vining peas are sown in rye grass with direct drilling to cut costs with out cutting yeild.Other farmers grow there peas back to back or once every 4th year the guys doing that tend to plough as a means of disease control and then roll the paddock once the peas are about 1inch high.

A common senario.

Peas grown after barley that has had the straw baled and worked once.

4L/ha of Round up on before drilling to clean up any regrown grain and a flush of spring weeds.

300kg/ha(high rate) of seed and 300kg/ha of fert(15.10.10) sown with a Vaderstat rapid or the likes.

Pea seed hates being close to the fert and can be burnt because the fert is to "hot" for the seed if the drill can't put the fert down in a band away from the seed then often the fert is spread on just before drilling.

Once the crop is growing you could come in with basic weed spray of 3.5L/ha of MCPB to tidy up grass weeds.If the wheather has been overcast for a few days mildew can be a real sod in peas 1L/ha of Bravo more often than not keeps mildew at bay.

If aphids are around because the planting was late then 40mls/ha of Karatie once will often is enough to see the crop through untill harvest.

Hope that helped.

:-\ :-[

Hate to be picky but Peas don't require Nitrogen and MCPB doesn't control Grass weeds, only broad leaved.

Vining peas in NZ are sown with nitrogen,In some case the best thing you can do with a legume crop is start it off with a little nitrogen because the plants don't fix there own from day dot.

Clover that has had a light shot of nitrogen is often a beter crop the next year.

That scenario was taken from what is done here in NZ having never been to the UK.

As a rule arable soils in the UK need less fert to grow a crop than here.

Yes you are right MCPB is a broad leaf spray (ops) best add Galante to the spray program.