At work with Martin (NH2)

NewHolland2

Well today was the first day of my new job at a local stock farm......Was overall a great day and I learned a lot and had good fun too......

Jobs throughout the day included feeding the cows with straw/barley/silage, moving some of the cows from the fields into their Winter housing, general work with the forklift and Merlo telehandler and I also got a drive of the Nissan Navara pick-up...... ;D

Was a great day and very informative too so back tomorrow at 9am to feed the cows again and then we're moving some between the farms I think...... :);)

Any questions fire away......

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Mart, nice day all over the farm by the sound of it. Well chuffed for you mate. How did you find the Merlo, what age is she?

Cheers Tris......Merlo wasn't too bad, seemed ok, was just using at as transport between the two farms so not much work for her but seems not a bad machine......I do appreciate having the shuttle for shifting between reverse and forward, makes life so much easier and I'm used to using it with the John Deere's on the other farm...... :);)

She's a T Reg machine...... :)

Well done Mart... glad to hear you had some fun mate  ;)

So what's in store for you tomorrow... more of the same  ???

Do you think the gaffer was happy with you today mate  ???

Cheers Marky...... :)

More of the same tomorrow and some shifting cattle around as well I think......I'll be getting to do some more on my own as well I think as I get used to the machines and set-up of the two farms...... :)

Gaffer seemed happy yeah, said I was doing things correctly and well and not rushing around like a headless chicken so was pretty pleased I think...... ;)

Cheers Marky...... :)

More of the same tomorrow and some shifting cattle around as well I think......I'll be getting to do some more on my own as well I think as I get used to the machines and set-up of the two farms...... :)

Gaffer seemed happy yeah, said I was doing things correctly and well and not rushing around like a headless chicken so was pretty pleased I think...... ;)

That's good news Mart.. it's him you have to keep happy... I am sure you will be his best employee in no time mate... It's really great to hear you are enjoying it as well... what do mum and dad think to their "wee lad" becoming a farmer  ???

That's good news Mart.. it's him you have to keep happy... I am sure you will be his best employee in no time mate... It's really great to hear you are enjoying it as well... what do mum and dad think to their "wee lad" becoming a farmer  ???

They're happy for me as they know it's what I've wanted to do for the past 6-8 years and it's finally coming true...... :)

Dad does think I'll end up getting bored of it especially if I do get the job of my dreams as a tractor driver for an arable operation but I'm quite happy to prove him wrong...... ;D

It is really great though having farmers on my doorstep who are willing to let me get the experience...... ;)

They're happy for me as they know it's what I've wanted to do for the past 6-8 years and it's finally coming true...... :)

Dad does think I'll end up getting bored of it especially if I do get the job of my dreams as a tractor driver for an arable operation but I'm quite happy to prove him wrong...... ;D

It is really great though having farmers on my doorstep who are willing to let me get the experience...... ;)

Well done Supermart... be nice to prove the ol' fella wrong eh  ;):D :D

what tractors is this guy running again. what type of cattle does he have.

Tractors:-

Massey Ferguson 3095

Massey Ferguson 6475 Dyna6

Massey Ferguson 135

Massey Ferguson 165

Massey Ferguson 175

Massey Ferguson 1080

Massey Ferguson 698

Merlo Telehandler

CAT Forklift

Massey Ferguson 50B Back-Hoe

Stock:-

80 Aberdeen Angus cows with 3 bulls and not sure on the number of calves...... :) :) ;)

Well done Supermart... be nice to prove the ol' fella wrong eh  ;):D :D

Very, Very nice Marky...... :D;) ;)

thats not to bad a size of herd. he has a fair few tractor for you to test drive. liked driving a 135 when i was younger. does he show any of his cattle

He's in the process of cutting the number of cows down to around half that but we're not much into that process......

There's also an old International with Massey front loader I forgot to mention so aye, there's plenty of tractors to be had...... :)

Not sure if he shows any the now but he plans to in the future I think...... :);)

:o - WOW... pic of that 1080 ASAP please Mart  :-*:-*

Thought you'd like that mate...... :)

It's a real beauty, stays tucked away at the back of the barn, fully cabbed etc...... :);)

Its good to know there is  new blood going into the industry

I remember my first job after leaving school on the farm

Topping with a  PZ two drum mower on the back of my CASEIH 1394 2WD

all 250 acers of thistels ,only problem was boss had all those acers split up in to 4 farms and nor one farm 10 miles away from each other  so he was running around setting up the next farm then having to pick me up and drop me off at the tractor as i was only 15 ,

As soon as i was 16 he paid for my tractor test and let me drive it back and to from home

to work ect which beat cycleing 6 miles to work and back each day  OK in the summer but a little chilly and wet in the winter  ::)

Excellent news that Mart :) Good on yer, we could do with more of you in this industry.

Will you be doing the silage next year for the herd ??? I take it with that many tractors you'll have a fair few implements to go behind them too :P :P Pics mart, pics ;) ;)

Its good to know there is  new blood going into the industry

I remember my first job after leaving school on the farm

Topping with a  PZ two drum mower on the back of my CASEIH 1394 2WD

all 250 acers of thistels ,only problem was boss had all those acers split up in to 4 farms and nor one farm 10 miles away from each other  so he was running around setting up the next farm then having to pick me up and drop me off at the tractor as i was only 15 ,

As soon as i was 16 he paid for my tractor test and let me drive it back and to from home

to work ect which beat cycleing 6 miles to work and back each day  OK in the summer but a little chilly and wet in the winter  ::)

All good fun eh mate...... :)

3095  ;D tidy tractors they are we have a 3095 turbo, datatronic with dynashift  :P,has yours got a turbo mart ???

Not sure mate, haven't had anything to do with the 3095 yet, it's sitting powering the crimper for the Winter......It's an Autotronic model though I think...... :)

Excellent news that Mart :) Good on yer, we could do with more of you in this industry.

Will you be doing the silage next year for the herd ??? I take it with that many tractors you'll have a fair few implements to go behind them too :P :P Pics mart, pics ;) ;)

Cheers Nath...... :)

Aye there's a fair few implements including ploughs, harrows, balers, trailers, an old grain drier, straw chopper etc. etc. Pics as and when I can get them...... :)

Probably will be helping with the silage next year......  ;)

I'm glad you enjoyed it mart and make the most of the opertunities as there few and far between is what im finding :D Hope you keep at it and we want silage photo's ...

Cheers Phill......I'll get them if I can mate...... :)

Another good day today......Started off feeding the cattle straw/silage/barley in the morning on my own and then we went up and fed the cows on the other farm (me driving the Nissan pick-up, the boss following in the Massey 6475)......Once they were fed we started up the old Massey 165 and International with MF loader to make sure they were running ok......

The boss took the Massey 6475 back with the mower and I took the Nissan back and then we came back in the Nissan and I then drove the Massey 165 back to our other farm......What a wee gem of a tractor...... :)

Pic of the Massey 165 and Massey 1080 to follow later this evening...... :);)

Another good day today......Started off feeding the cattle straw/silage/barley in the morning on my own and then we went up and fed the cows on the other farm (me driving the Nissan pick-up, the boss following in the Massey 6475)......Once they were fed we started up the old Massey 165 and International with MF loader to make sure they were running ok......

The boss took the Massey 6475 back with the mower and I took the Nissan back and then we came back in the Nissan and I then drove the Massey 165 back to our other farm......What a wee gem of a tractor...... :)

Pic of the Massey 165 and Massey 1080 to follow later this evening...... :);)

Glad you had another good day Mart... I still remember driving 165's around the dealers yard when i was 14... made my spine tingle with excitement... can't wait to see those pics mate  ;):P :P :P