Is there such a thing?

This can't be right?

Before anyone says I picking on it - im not - but there can't be such a thing ever produced just to use as a silage trailer.  A farmer would be destroying a ?50,000+ machine and turning it into a ?12,000 trailer!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Claas-silage-trailer-Conversion_W0QQitemZ300048170145QQihZ020QQcategoryZ117196QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know of a contractor who got rid of two self propelled outfits and bought three Pottinger Silage Wagons for his grass silage business.

He kept one SPFH for harvesting maize and he uses the Pottingers for carting it. The main advantage of the wagins is their low ground pressure compared to normal silage trailers.

I haev been told of another contractor who hires in silage wagons as trailers for maize when the going gets very wet.

I know of a contractor who got rid of two self propelled outfits and bought three Pottinger Silage Wagons for his grass silage business.

He kept one SPFH for harvesting maize and he uses the Pottingers for carting it. The main advantage of the wagins is their low ground pressure compared to normal silage trailers.

I haev been told of another contractor who hires in silage wagons as trailers for maize when the going gets very wet.

Its good to hear some real life situation spn  :) :)- Visiting a lot of farmers each day, I see many different systems used which are different to the norm.

re. to your comments - I understand what your saying if you have an old one to use, as the secondhand price for this machine would probably work out better to keep them as trailers - but if you were buying new and only wanted low ground pressure you would buy a trailer with low ground pressure tyres as a trailer is a lot lighter than a forage wagon - are you sure they don't use the forage wagons for there purpose in grass and then utilise them as trailers for the maize? This would explain why he bought them.

I found it interesting to hear that you local farmer uses hired forage wagons as trailers, if the top is covered in rope does he remove them?

This can't be right?

Before anyone says I picking on it - im not - but there can't be such a thing ever produced just to use as a silage trailer.  A farmer would be destroying a ?50,000+ machine and turning it into a ?12,000 trailer!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Claas-silage-trailer-Conversion_W0QQitemZ300048170145QQihZ020QQcategoryZ117196QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i saw that on there the other day, i thought i posted it up :D :D :D

once read an article a while back of a farmer , who bought two pick up silage wagons with knackered pick ups. to use as silage trailers , the benifit being able to unload out the back in low buildings ,

after all ,mad designs all over the place , remember the chap in CT who used the back half of a SP jag690 to power his mowing out fit !

once read an article a while back of a farmer , who bought two pick up silage wagons with knackered pick ups. to use as silage trailers , the benifit being able to unload out the back in low buildings ,

after all ,mad designs all over the place , remember the chap in CT who used the back half of a SP jag690 to power his mowing out fit !

Anyone got that  photo??

I feel the need to reproduce  :D

Not every farmer can afford to have the exact right machine for every job, especially if its just for one day in the year, so lots of guys make do with what they have, turning machines to uses they weren't necessarily designed for. I see no reason why somebody couldn't adapt a forage wagon as a silage trailer, maybe to get a contractor to do first cut and do second cut with the wagon. Maybe theres no point in buying a trailer with silage sides for a very small amount of work.

As regards the model itself, I get the feeling that guy used the pickup for something else like a trailed forager, and then converted the wagon to get some of the cost back? Not sucessful obviously ;D