tractors, machinery & trucks on my journeys

MJB1

You'd of thought that would make for more paper work runing 2 systems like that? :-\

where the drivers are concerned it does , but the mill opperatives & office staff have to use this system, in time the drivers weekly sheet will dissapear & the daily sheet will incorparate our start times , but the fear is some drivers clock in but dont insert the tacho till they've loaded & ready to leave the yard , all well & good , but you then have conflicting start times , effectively some drivers might be  working 'off the card'which is technically illegal

I know a chap that got done for working off the card Marcus. He got pulled up for a defective headlight, when asked if he had checked his lorry before leaving he said he had. The officer asked to see his tacho and it showed he moved off straight after inserting the tacho, because he said he had checked his lorry over before he moved off he effectively admitted to working off the card. I'm guilty of it many a time but it makes you think about what to say in the event of getting pulled over!!

Can some one please eplain the tacho thing?

effectively nick , a tachograph is a paper/card disc that is inserted into a device that records all the work done during the drivers day by an automatic scribe. it records the start of my working day , the ammount of time the vehicle has been moving & at what speed ,how long the vehicle has been stationary while the driver does any manual work & a daily rest period that is a legal requirement. & the end of my working day.

the drivers day can be no longer than 15 hrs.

daily rest should be a minimum of 11 hrs but can be reduced to 9hrs twice a week, when away from base, but these hrs must be made up within two weeks of the weekly rest period

the driver is allowed to drive for a period of 9 hrs a day , but can be extended to 10 hrs for two days of that week.

the drivers actual driving limit is 45 hrs per week , no more than 90 hrs per fortnight

the daily break period is for every 4.5 hours driven, the driver must take a 45 min break, but the break can be split in to two,

eg ; i can drive 2 hrs & break for 15 mins , then drive another 2.5 hrs before having to stop for a break of a minimum of 30 mins. 

if  my first break lasts 30 mins , my second also still has to be a minimum of 30 mins

thats pretty much the basics . :-\ there's a lot more than that , but it all gets complicated & boring.

at the moment , we have two sets of rules . rules for domestic driving  eg; dustcarts, milk collection vehicles , & EU (european union), that covers all other vehicle movements .

the tachograph card, is becomeing redundant , as newer technology takes over , any new vehicle now is fitted with a new drivers card recorder , instead of a paper chart the driver is issued with his own card , bit like a credit card with an electronic chip containing all the drivers details , this card records all the same information as a paper card but only for 28 days , so the driver will have to have the card downloaded every month for company records .

at the moment very few new vehicles are being pulled over as VOSA (vehicle & operator services agency)/ & the police dont yet understand or have the equipment to read the new drivers cards , bit of a farce really !

• 5 months later...

Got a few more to put up seeing as i been away for a while , some for the massey massive , a few for the blue crew , a couple of 'other' reds including a british rail special & even a green one  ;)

post-211-132638789132_thumb.jpg

post-211-132638789139_thumb.jpg