In what circumstances would you use on of these then ???

Lord Ferguson

Just wondered as I thought the 168 in the pic looked similar......The poor 1080 at work is in need of a good doing up as it's just sitting falling apart, the interior is anyway...... :'( :'( ;)

Oh I want that 1080 Mart... that would make a lovely resto project mate  :o

spring tined cultivator, can be placed straight into stubble after a subsoil, or after discing to break the ground up more. but it simply breaks the ground up like matty a said! a proccess not using a plough.......... the tines break up weeds (like matty said ;)) but can make rows ready for the bed prep........

they can help with drainage but not a great deal as they dont reach the pan.............

Oh I want that 1080 Mart... that would make a lovely resto project mate  :o

I know......She's in not in bad condition looking at it from a distance but when you get closer and open the doors (I didn't do that obviously, not as far as the boss is aware anyway...... :D;)) the cladding inside is falling away and she's home to who knows how many spiders......I'm sure she'll still start though...... ;)

spring tined cultivator, can be placed straight into stubble after a subsoil, or after discing to break the ground up more. but it simply breaks the ground up like matty a said! a proccess not using a plough.......... the tines break up weeds (like matty said ;)) but can make rows ready for the bed prep........

they can help with drainage but not a great deal as they dont reach the pan.............

so that means im not as thick as i look  :D

well from what ive learnt at college, from what i remember (hangovers) you can use them on stubble feilds, might take another run over, but it will start the proccess. the springs on the tines simply stop obstructions, but also create a 'flciking affect' on the soil if you can see what i mean..........

you do know something matty ha ha!

I'll take that as an order for me to shut up then...... :-[:D;)

No No Mart... it's me that keeps getting myself into trouble mate... I'm making a cincious effort not to OT so much (well at all really)... doesn't seem to be working mind  :-[

so that means im not as thick as i look  :D

Bright as a Button Matty  ;)

well from what ive learnt at college, from what i remember (hangovers) you can use them on stubble feilds, might take another run over, but it will start the proccess. the springs on the tines simply stop obstructions, but also create a 'flciking affect' on the soil if you can see what i mean..........

you do know something matty ha ha!

I thought they just flicked back when they hit an obstruction... didn;t know that that was part of the design (to flick the clods)  ;)

No No Mart... it's me that keeps getting myself into trouble mate... I'm making a cincious effort not to OT so much (well at all really)... doesn't seem to be working mind  :-[

I'll let you off then...... :D

Do you think if I gave you a real Grey Fergie to be your second tractor you'd stop going OT......Here we go OT again anyway......This time my fault...... :-\ ;)

those tillers were good going into stubble, i had a 9 tine one for my tef20 (now both sold on) and it made a grand job in stubble, i used to drag round broken bales then fire them, (bad bailing contractor ::)) 2 or 3 passes was as good as ploughing and it didnt leave a deep furrow ridge ;) my dad keeps toying with the idea of making a 4m one out of scrappers so if you have powerharrowed land down for drilling and it rains you can "open" it up to dry with it as they move the soil well ;)

Before power harrows they were a good bit of kit to create a seedbed after ploughing (mostly spring cropping then) and would be followed with a spring tine cultivator or harrow to leave land ready for the drill. They weren't really heavy enough for primary cultivation and the legs would break back - everybody ploughed then anyway.

That pic shows it on 'boys land'  ;D

ooooh used to be my summer job when i was 13 , get one of those on the 135 & go ripping up the harvested potato ground , also used it a lot for the first pass on ploughed ground , then followed by a 3mtr dutch harrow on a 590, then a howard rotavator ready for the manned potato planter all in the days before powerharrows & bed tillers ,unmanned planters & box tippers  :) :) :)

more often than not they were the first implement to break up wintered ploughing