Deere-est Does New Zealand!!! **UPDATE p13**

Deere-est

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unfortunately Spalding will be missed this time around, even if I was back in time I'd have very little no money to spoil myself up there.

It ain't over quite yet, check these pics out - after horse trekking Traci and I came across this -

MikeandDebs124.jpg

MikeandDebs126-1.jpg

MikeandDebs127.jpg

MikeandDebs130.jpg

MikeandDebs133.jpg

MikeandDebs135.jpg

MikeandDebs138.jpg

It hadn't long started so we drove up and round the other side of the fire, sticking to the stone road. Thats where we took the photo's of the tree's and bush well alight. It wasn't the safest place to be so we retreated back round upwind of the fire and parked on the grass verge out of the way of emergencey services access etc. We stood for a good hour watching, we were there before anyone else. When the police came to set up the cordon we were actually inside the line!!! VIP guests see, the copper asked us not to go any further and leave via the road block as soon as we were ready. Even the Blenheim Express newspaper wern't allowed up as close as we were!!!  :P We heard the fire siren go off in town three times during the afternoon calling for the off-shift firefighters to go to the station. No idea of timescale or acerage yet but one last week burn't out 30ha of hill bush. These are the first fires since 2001 and I think. With a TOTAL FIRE BAN across the whole region these fires start by either arson or reflective litter etc in the bush.

We have impressed lot's of people with our photo's and we are hoping, via Traci's aunties friend; that one may even appear in the newspaper  ;):)

Not scared as such but excitment bordering on a slight sense of nervousness.  :)

Traci wasn't scared in the slightest, she had the marshmellows ready on the stick!!!!  ::):D :D

I know what you mean mate .... you feel excited to see whats going on but then you think well hold on what happens if. It happened to us in Spain there was a similiar fire and we were staying in the town pracitcally underneath it thankfully they kept it under control before we had to evacuate.

Hi Tris.Being on dial up it takes me a while to get round to looking at things.Had a good look through your holiday snaps tonight.Not a truck fan but boy do they have some nice ones.and those Jonnys in the maize WOW.

Have a safe trip back home

Brian

nice pics tris, surprised you didnt cotton on and sell your pics to the local paper if they couldnt get up there, make some extra dosh that way, few more beers before you leave eh ;)

or money for Spalding :D :D ::)

Either or would be nice!! This was a prime example why we should always keep a camera handy, you just never know what your going to see. We went back up there today to see what the aftermath was like and this is what we saw. .  .

(All can be seen on Photobucket but excuse the duplicates, havn't got round to deleting them yet)

MikeandDebs189.jpg

MikeandDebs190.jpg

MikeandDebs192.jpg

MikeandDebs193.jpg

MikeandDebs197.jpg

MikeandDebs198.jpg

MikeandDebs200.jpg

MikeandDebs201.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'M BAAAA-AAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the comments on the photo's. .. . still working on the peat ones gradually. ..  :-\

Jez, based south of Hamilton with most of the work in the Waikato region (ggod beer here  :)). The peat harvesting was on the coromandel peninsula though. Loved the place and would have liked to have worked there longer although the outfit I worked for a wetter start than normal to the summer didn't make for a good time financially.