IH B-250: Help Please.....

FW

Right, I went today to look at some tractors at an old boys house about ten miles away, because the farm is being converted. Amoungst a few Fordsons was what I went there for which is a 1959 B-250 with log book and is totally original e.t.c. all very well at 400 notes, apart from it has been stood there since his Dad passed away 25 years ago and has ceased through standing. What I wanted to now from someone who has slightly more experiance of rustys than me, is that am I getting myself into a whole load of work with it? With having to the crank shaft off e.t.c. Have also spoken to me Grandad about it who knows everything there is to know about tractors and engines who said he will help me with it. Let me know what you think, please as I am currently thinking that it isn't cheap at what it is (though it still looks a treat) and am I getting myself into a big job, with huge parts bills. Please let me know as he wants an answer by tommorow evening.  ;):) :)

Could be quite a bit of work and a fair bit of cash too. Do you have somewhere under-cover that you can work on it without having to store it outside? Is that place somewhere that you can use for a while, that way you won't be rushed and can do it as cash-flow allows.

As for the work part, I'd go for it if I was you just to spend time with your Grandad and learn some mechanical stuff from him.

Could be quite a bit of work and a fair bit of cash too. Do you have somewhere under-cover that you can work on it without having to store it outside? Is that place somewhere that you can use for a while, that way you won't be rushed and can do it as cash-flow allows.

As for the work part, I'd go for it if I was you just to spend time with your Grandad and learn some mechanical stuff from him.

Yes that it was what I was thinking. Yes I'm sure we'd get it in the workshop.  ;)

the only bit i would check first is how easy spare parts are to get hold of, body pannels and engine parts, as theres no point getting her then finding out bits aint avaiable now, sure the local ih dealer can advise you on that sort of thing, also have a look in ct mag,or tractor and machinery and see if people are advertising bits/spares for it as well,

the only bit i would check first is how easy spare parts are to get hold of, body pannels and engine parts, as theres no point getting her then finding out bits aint avaiable now, sure the local ih dealer can advise you on that sort of thing, also have a look in ct mag,or tractor and machinery and see if people are advertising bits/spares for it as well,

Well as for body work its pretty straight and I know there's Agriline I believe off hand, who carry most International parts, so shouldn't be too much of a problem.  ;)

400notes seams a bit seteep for a non runner.

My best m8 brought his running b250 for 600nzd ( so around 200 pounds) id have a very good look at it. Does it turn over can you rock it to check the beerings arnt stufed in the wheels?

Tyres are F'd and has old Landy ones on the front.  ::)

If the rears are original they may be pretty tricky to get off then as I have heard of restorers who have had their local tyre fitter out to re-fit rears and even he hasn't been a happy chappy after all the humphing to get them off......Ask around though to see what the best deal you can get on even a good 2nd hand set is...... :) :) ;)

400notes seams a bit seteep for a non runner.

My best m8 brought his running b250 for 600nzd ( so around 200 pounds) id have a very good look at it. Does it turn over can you rock it to check the beerings arnt stufed in the wheels?

Yes I was hoping more around 200 and then buy myself a couple of nice Hereford heifers to get some money back next year, all from what me flock earnt me last year. Couldn't try to rock it as the tyres were like squares and was squashed in by a Marshall, which he won't sell, which is probably for the best as that would be a job.  ::):D :D

If the rears are original they may be pretty tricky to get off then as I have heard of restorers who have had their local tyre fitter out to re-fit rears and even he hasn't been a happy chappy after all the humphing to get them off......Ask around though to see what the best deal you can get on even a good 2nd hand set is...... :) :) ;)

There's a local agricultural tyre place who sells most older tractor tyres, though could be a bit pricey as just before I bought me Cropmaster, the previous owner bought a set of tyres from them for the same money as he sold it to me for.  :-\

Yeah tyres are what make a clasic worth the $$$ Its going to cost me nearly $1000 nzd to re tyre my 25c david brown. Try and screw trhe guy down hard if the tyres are fooked.

Will do! So you guys got a few British tractors over there then.  :o

go for it anything mechanical is expensive the more effort you put in the more you will get back, you dont get much for that sort of money from Cheffins Vintage sale its worth checking their sales results to compare ;)

Yes will try that, its just that like all of my older tractors, they are all local, so in a way I am buying back local history.  :-\

Seconded, good points brought up TOG.  :)