Looooovely old brochure this one.... and it smells good too

My boss reckons his farther was stuffed at the end of each night when he was baging grain off the combine but the mental stress was not there like the next generation of farmers have today.A simpler pace of life just growing wheat and keeping sheep unlike today rushing around getting ready 000's of dollars worth of sprays ready for the top dressing plane to treat 1/2 the farm in less than 1 hour and working out how to pay for the de-stoner etc etc.

Nice booklet Marky :)

Nice brochure Mark - have you got the one with it baling hay on the front I think its for the 20 and 703 - it was part of Dad's collection till I got it last year  ;)

Don't think so Colm... got the 15 & 20 baler... the 10... and loooooads of 80's ones  :-\ - is it on that disc you have sent me mate  ???

My boss reckons his farther was stuffed at the end of each night when he was baging grain off the combine but the mental stress was not there like the next generation of farmers have today.A simpler pace of life just growing wheat and keeping sheep unlike today rushing around getting ready 000's of dollars worth of sprays ready for the top dressing plane to treat 1/2 the farm in less than 1 hour and working out how to pay for the de-stoner etc etc.

Nice booklet Marky :)

i should imange he was ol, i know i was when i used to stack the bales before the days of flat 8's ect, had a sledge but we stacked them into 9's 3x3x3 for a front loader grab, ,lots of feilds to, as they never shredded any straw in those days

i should imange he was ol, i know i was when i used to stack the bales before the days of flat 8's ect, had a sledge but we stacked them into 9's 3x3x3 for a front loader grab, ,lots of feilds to, as they never shredded any straw in those days

Sounds a bit like the farm I grew up on. We went from pitching bales by hand, (Looking back this is really mad.) to hand stacking them from a sledge into flat eights, loading them on to the trailers with the grab, rearranging them to "tie in" on the trailers, then unloading them on to a Lister elevator and stacking them in the barn by hand. Hard work, but we had a lot of fun too, especially when the day cooled down in the evening. We used to have a competition to see how quickly we could unload and stack a trailer load in the barn. Farming was to my mind more enjoyable then as there weren't all the rules and regulations there are now. There were loads of small farms where I lived, all were well equipped with tractors and machinery, every one of them seemed to make a good living from it. There were no milk quotas, new machinery was often bought at the annual county shows at special prices, tax allowances allowed machinery to be written off the books after three years, so profitable farms often had new machinery on them. There was a lot to be happy about in those days (60's and 70's), there wasn't the pressure there is now. It all started to go wrong when balers went from 70 strokes a minute to 93, all downhill ater that. I'm lucky to have been on a farm in what I consider to be the Golden age of farming, if only I could turn the clocks back. :'( ;) Sentimental old git aren't I?

I know what you mean britainswomble, the fun we had back then in the 70's, we also had competitons, ( no fun when on the stack & bales are coming up 90 to the dozen ha ha! ) and you was treated to a ice cream and a bottle of pop !!!

driving a john deere 6920s now or a ford 5000 then i know which gave you the best fun and happiness ;) ;) Ahhh memory lane ::) ::)

I know what you mean britainswomble, the fun we had back then in the 70's, we also had competitons, ( no fun when on the stack & bales are coming up 90 to the dozen ha ha! ) and you was treated to a ice cream and a bottle of pop !!!

driving a john deere 6920s now or a ford 5000 then i know which gave you the best fun and happiness ;) ;) Ahhh memory lane ::) ::)

As a teenager in the mid late sixties, my first tractor was a Diesel Major, we also had two new 3000's. (obviously they were replaced every three years with about 900 hours on the clock!). Used to love tedding hay, out in the sunshine, (No cab), all the smells and fresh air you could wish for. discing, cultivating and harrowing in the autumn. Feeding cattle in the winter, getting knocked for six by a playful bullock when I was running down a slope with a bale on my back. Coming home looking like something from the Black and White Minstrel show after spreading basic slag with a varispreader. Getting pelted with stones from the rear beater on our revolutionary Vicon Buffalo poo spreader. Getting dragged through the poo trying to catch pigs. Helping calve cows, catching rats in the oast house. Watching my dad get mounted by a cow in the middle of our covered yard. Stopping off at the pub on our way back with the last load of bales of the evening. Wondering if you will ever have a proper girlfriend, saving up money from the farm to buy a motorbike. "Kin briiliant innit!! :'( ;);D:D

Sounds a bit like the farm I grew up on. We went from pitching bales by hand, (Looking back this is really mad.) to hand stacking them from a sledge into flat eights, loading them on to the trailers with the grab, rearranging them to "tie in" on the trailers, then unloading them on to a Lister elevator and stacking them in the barn by hand. Hard work, but we had a lot of fun too, especially when the day cooled down in the evening. We used to have a competition to see how quickly we could unload and stack a trailer load in the barn. Farming was to my mind more enjoyable then as there weren't all the rules and regulations there are now. There were loads of small farms where I lived, all were well equipped with tractors and machinery, every one of them seemed to make a good living from it. There were no milk quotas, new machinery was often bought at the annual county shows at special prices, tax allowances allowed machinery to be written off the books after three years, so profitable farms often had new machinery on them. There was a lot to be happy about in those days (60's and 70's), there wasn't the pressure there is now. It all started to go wrong when balers went from 70 strokes a minute to 93, all downhill ater that. I'm lucky to have been on a farm in what I consider to be the Golden age of farming, if only I could turn the clocks back. :'( ;) Sentimental old git aren't I?

Chucking up bales with thistles in onto the top of a load just after a big dinner in the blazing sun with long trousers on to protect your legs with the plastic string cutting your hands was the low point of it all! :)

Chucking up bales with thistles in onto the top of a load just after a big dinner in the blazing sun with long trousers on to protect your legs with the plastic string cutting your hands was the low point of it all! :)

Hi Nigel, and fellow aged F.T.Fers, forgot about the thistles, bu**ers weren't they, dock stalks under the finger nails weren't too exciting either. One of the sights of modern farming is the unbeleivable amount of thistles growing on set-aside ground. Really is sad to see farmland falling into deriliction.

Bale strings used to hurt most in the first few days of bale cart, you sort of got hardened to it after about a week. Another little memory from the golden era: do you remember the smell of sisal string on your hands. I think it was treated with some sort of water repellant to stop it rotting. Used to like that smell, especially on hay bales. Silver and Gold Star Baler twine? I'm getting worse, I keep remembering more and more every time a subject is brought up. :)::)

Something else we'll never see again, and as a kid used to love,  was stubble burning. A good way of getting rid of some of the weeds and seeds. It had to go though as it could be a bit anti social if the wind was the wrong way. ;)

Still got one of those balers. Haul it out every harvest, squirt some oil on the chains, blow the tyres up and bale 50 bales for the hens - never misses a knot and doesn't even bother the 3065 -  need a few shear bolts though . ;)

I'll scrape the pigeon crap off and get a photo. :)

Still got one of those balers. Haul it out every harvest, squirt some oil on the chains, blow the tyres up and bale 50 bales for the hens - never misses a knot and doesn't even bother the 3065 -  need a few shear bolts though . ;)

:o :o yes please John... that would be great mate  ;)

Something else we'll never see again, and as a kid used to love,  was stubble burning. A good way of getting rid of some of the weeds and seeds. It had to go though as it could be a bit anti social if the wind was the wrong way. ;)

Lucky for us kiwi's that burning stubble is still OK here.I'll miss it when it's gone.

An STX440 with a simba solo and press making 1 or 2 pass over the ground takes loads of energy when compaired with a match or two out the ute window then once with a spring tine cultivator.Greenies want to pull there head realy.

You had better watch out John or Marky will want to buy it next  :D