Greenbelt Forage Deck

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have struggled with the top mate so any tips when you get going would be welcome are you doing the belt feeder through the shed as well  me and my brother in law have taken four down and i have put three up but have not done any for about seventeen years

New Holland used to make them among others.Seen more in USA, though Cysters at Northiam had a tower silo put up back in the late 60s and had a similar set up.

HOWARD Harvestore & Simplex were 2 brands of tower silo, they were totally airtight (supposed to have been anyway  ::))  so kept the grub really well before quality poly sheet was available in large sheets, but the gear required to get it in & out......nightmare when it breaks down/freezes up/power cut with all those hungry animals & no other means of emptying the tower!  ???

mjb was it you that used to run out of the sparkford depot with the milk tanker  because there was a farm just up the road from there that had these silos we took one of them down and it went to turkey for maize gluten plant

tis true i did run from sparkford depot, there's a few farms with these towers in the area ,how many of them are still used though i don't know

seans got a top on his silage tower  don't know where he got it from though

work special mate, came already attached to it, "ema" do domed or pointed tops in various sizes, pre made,just fix into place,they also do the tubes, at work now, but can post the link later if no one else has

Here's a pick of the pipe I intend to use for the tower, It's an 8inch pipe. The tower I'm working from is 90 feet high by 25 feet in diameter. The 8 inch pipe is about 2inchs to small for the diameter but it'll do for me. The final tower is going to be in or around 33inchs high.

New Holland used to make them among others.Seen more in USA, though Cysters at Northiam had a tower silo put up back in the late 60s and had a similar set up.

HOWARD Harvestore & Simplex were 2 brands of tower silo, they were totally airtight (supposed to have been anyway  ::))  so kept the grub really well before quality poly sheet was available in large sheets, but the gear required to get it in & out......nightmare when it breaks down/freezes up/power cut with all those hungry animals & no other means of emptying the tower!  ???

Nigel the farmer that owns the smaller tower in the pic told me he abandoned it for that very reason powercuts! But he is thinking about using it again with a generator attached to make sure power cuts won't affect it.

post-77-132638565231_thumb.jpg

i have struggled with the top mate so any tips when you get going would be welcome are you doing the belt feeder through the shed as well  me and my brother in law have taken four down and i have put three up but have not done any for about seventeen years

Graham I'm thinking of using a funnel to make the cap. I was thinking of forming it using plaster poured into the funnel. That is if I can find a funnel about 10inchs plus.

Here is my one Garrett.  Mine will be more a mosit grain silo rather than a forage silo now. Your roof idea sounds good mate.

I can remember john cysters of Northiam Nigel, I believe it was a colmans silo it had a chequered flag pattern round the top and I think that it blew in before they scrapped it. I know of 6 in Kent that are now that have mobile telephone receivers on top of them. :) :)

post-586-132638565236_thumb.jpg

post-586-132638565238_thumb.jpg

cut a circle out of the plastic and then cut to the middle and bent it round to make a cone shape and then I filled it all but still have more filling and rubbing down to do on it Garrett.  The hatch at the very top is a drinks bottle top. For the big sheets of plastic I don't buy it it is made out of signs that you can buy to put on buidling sites such as please wear your hard hat etc. I find it is cheaper and you get big sheets.

Here is my one Garrett.  Mine will be more a mosit grain silo rather than a forage silo now. Your roof idea sounds good mate.

I can remember john cysters of Northiam Nigel, I believe it was a colmans silo it had a chequered flag pattern round the top and I think that it blew in before they scrapped it. I know of 6 in Kent that are now that have mobile telephone receivers on top of them. :) :)

i have details somewhere of Silos fitted with mobile phone antenna supports.....sadly we havent used any yet :( :(

It's looking good Gav. :) :)

There are two silos next to the M26 in Kent that have mobile antennae's fitted to them. 2 at sevenoaks weald, 1 in Deal and 1 in Devon just above Salcombe FB.  The one in Salcombe was put up purposely to have the antennae on it.

It's looking good Gav. :) :)

There are two silos next to the M26 in Kent that have mobile antennae's fitted to them. 2 at sevenoaks weald, 1 in Deal and 1 in Devon just above Salcombe FB.  The one in Salcombe was put up purposely to have the antennae on it.

i'll have a look next time i'm down that way, can sometimes travel on the M26 and was not far from Deal the other day!

O2 used them a bit, i think there is one also near Waltham Abbey on M25 :-\ :-\

I'll see if i can find any details tomorro, might help in other ways :-\ :-\