What's your favourite forage harvesters and why?

Powerstarâ„¢

The combine one has just been done again, so we can update the forager one too! What's your favourite foragers, trailed,zero grazing,Self propelled side mounted, anything. I'm aware some of you have nothing to do with silage but you can still comment on the ones you like the look of I suppose!

I have a soft spot for the old trailed Claas Jaguars, 60,61 was brought up with them working, I local farmer had a 60 which he would back fill using 2 Petit 8 tonners, I can still remember the sound of that Ford 7810 Gen III :) Could hear it chopping until the early hours, used to keep my bedroom window open so I could hear it  :) Memories...

My other favourite forager is the Claas Jaguar 840, some are getting on a bit now they came out in 1995 I think to replace the 600 series, and still today they look modern and are still a favoured forager for many contractors. Our local agricultural contractor had two Claas Jaguar 840 4wd's, back when they hauled all their 10 Tonne AW's with John Deere 6400's back in 1996  :-*

Thats enough of my memories, how about yours?

The first silage harvester I remember was a Taarup DC1500 on a Ford 5000, back filling a 6 ton Warren and a 6 ton Twomey. MF65 drawing to the pit and a Ford 4000 buckraking. James F tells me that the the farmer still has the 5000 and it is going strong.

a tarrup 10x on the back of the first 8210 gen2 with turbo kit  and the other 8210 gen2 on the west 10 tonner and the 7840 on the other west  :-*:-*

its my favourite because it was the first (and only  :D ) forager ived had a go of , when i was 6-7  with my uncle steering and me on the toolbox of the 8210 with the control box on my lap  oooo the memories :)

im thinking of asking to have a go of the forager this year  :-\

my first memories of silage kit is of a pottinger forage wagon, my first up close insight to silage making and grassland kit. i remember standing at the side of it looking up, i thought it was enormous, any forage wagon set up still dose it for me closely followed by the trailed foragers blowing into trailers running along side with everyone going flat out and dust blowing up from behind the trailers on there way back to the pit!!! everyone seemed so busy, i could watch them for hours, just wishing i was part of it

mine has to be the jag 60 / 61 / 62, the 45 wasn't a bad bit of kit either , but damp grass would block up the feed rollers before you knew it , another favorite would be the MF 610 / 630 flywheel chop , soooooooo easy to work on /repair / service  :) :)

The first silage harvester I remember was a Taarup DC1500 on a Ford 5000, back filling a 6 ton Warren and a 6 ton Twomey. MF65 drawing to the pit and a Ford 4000 buckraking. James F tells me that the the farmer still has the 5000 and it is going strong.

You sure it wasn't a Jim Wall trailer Stan ???

Anyways mine would have to be the NH 1900 that the local contractor had with a fleet of IH's drawing away and a Deutz 110 mowing ;D, also another contractor had a Pottinger on the back of a 6cyl 1232 Ursus that my neighbour used to drive

My favourte would be jag 62. First one i ever used behind a 6610 2wd and a ten ton marston trailer.Bottom gear black smoke everyware boss had kittens :o . so the rest of the season was on a roadless 98 what a beast ::)

Then moved job and i had a nh 719 JD 3640 on the front and 8 ton salop trailers :o give me the roadless, jag any day ::)

• 4 weeks later...

am a bit biased here but...

A Taarup 622 behind a Fiat 160-90 and pulling an 8.5 Ton Kane Trailer.

I loved the silage season on the dairy farm, got to pick up silage now and again, though i mainly buckraked using a Fiat 88-94 with a Wylie push off buckrake, got into pleanty of sticky situations ha ha!

cheers

Noel

You sure it wasn't a Jim Wall trailer Stan ???

Anyways mine would have to be the NH 1900 that the local contractor had with a fleet of IH's drawing away and a Deutz 110 mowing ;D, also another contractor had a Pottinger on the back of a 6cyl 1232 Ursus that my neighbour used to drive

I was 9 at the time - it was definitely a Warren and a Twomey!

;D

Did Sonny Kavanagh ever cut down your way? In the mid 80s he had a DX85 on the mower, TW30 on a Mengele harvester (the JF couldn't cope with 188 ponies), numerous and assorted 6Y and 7A fords hauling MM or (blue) Lee trailers. It was drawing for Sonny that I learned that Ford gearboxes can downshift like synchromesh gearboxes if you can brake with your right foot, throttle with your right hand, change gear with your left hand, and steer with your left foot.  :D

Remind me to tell you the story about when I refused to tip load with one of Sonny's 7600Qs because I knew the pick-up hitch wasn't locked. He bollocked me from a height - but didn't tip the load himself until he had managed to get it to lock properly.  ::)

i like the claas trailed have used a claas jaguar 61 with its own engine and a  jaguar 75  both good choppers

but the best to drive has gotbo the  poetinger  mex 5 reverse drive on the back of a 8950 valmet reverse drive did  quite a few acres of maize with that girl

My favorit trailed one has to be the New Holland 790.

Reliability and performance are sceond to none on these machines.

But when doing our corn we get a custom operator because we do not have a processor on our old IH 720 chopper. I wish he would have a Krone or Claas because his JD's always break down. I suppose the Big X 1000 has special appeal just for it's huge size.

• 3 weeks later...

I was 9 at the time - it was definitely a Warren and a Twomey!

;D

Did Sonny Kavanagh ever cut down your way? In the mid 80s he had a DX85 on the mower, TW30 on a Mengele harvester (the JF couldn't cope with 188 ponies), numerous and assorted 6Y and 7A fords hauling MM or (blue) Lee trailers. It was drawing for Sonny that I learned that Ford gearboxes can downshift like synchromesh gearboxes if you can brake with your right foot, throttle with your right hand, change gear with your left hand, and steer with your left foot.  :D

Remind me to tell you the story about when I refused to tip load with one of Sonny's 7600Qs because I knew the pick-up hitch wasn't locked. He bollocked me from a height - but didn't tip the load himself until he had managed to get it to lock properly.  ::)

Was thinking afterwards that must be Warren's of Ballykelly - in fact one of them designed the Water Tower in New Ross and then retired to a stud farm not far from James F's outfarm near me  ;)

Sonny Kavanagh never hard of him - if he's from Kilkenny definetly doesn't ring a bell but if he is Michael's dad and lives on the N30 half way between Ross and Clonroche I know exactly who you mean ???

Was thinking afterwards that must be Warren's of Ballykelly - in fact one of them designed the Water Tower in New Ross and then retired to a stud farm not far from James F's outfarm near me  ;)

That rings a bell. I recall it was from out Campile way. Did Toomey work for Warrens before he set up on his own?

Sonny Kavanagh never hard of him - if he's from Kilkenny definetly doesn't ring a bell but if he is Michael's dad and lives on the N30 half way between Ross and Clonroche I know exactly who you mean ???

That's him.

That rings a bell. I recall it was from out Campile way. Did Toomey work for Warrens before he set up on his own?

That's him.

Yeah Warren's was actually in Whitechurch now that I think of it just off the main Camplie New Ross road and is right at the base of Sliabh Coillte ;) (we are on the other side ;)) Must ask dad about the Mixie Toomey connection  ;)

Ah yes I met the Bull Kavanagh's Dad once alright when he brought a lime spreader out to our place - he used to do all the muck and lime spreading at home until he gave up the agri contracting with all the Deutz tractors  :-* and then went at the loader hire, then lorries and is now after setting up a tyre garage at his house  :D