At work with Gav

Gav836

Yeah, as it stood Saturday morning we were going to be lifting yesterday but the grading staff and trailer chaps started protesting and managed to talk the boss into giving us the day off, too far for me to come for one day with the travelling both ways unfortunately :-\

Wasn't bad going when it dried out. I wish I could windrow but theres two reasons I can't, the harvester isn't fitted with a kit for it and the flail profile in the topper is wrong so would slice them to ribbons if I windrowed :-\

We now have the problem that we have nearly run out of shed space for the Dell until the barley has all gone which should be early next week. Another 30 or so acres left to lift yet as well...............may be a while before we get going tomorrow though as the 6920s is blowing oil out of the backend again, nice trail down the road and all over the cab >:(

Wasn't bad going when it dried out. I wish I could windrow but theres two reasons I can't, the harvester isn't fitted with a kit for it and the flail profile in the topper is wrong so would slice them to ribbons if I windrowed :-\

We now have the problem that we have nearly run out of shed space for the Dell until the barley has all gone which should be early next week. Another 30 or so acres left to lift yet as well...............may be a while before we get going tomorrow though as the 6920s is blowing oil out of the backend again, nice trail down the road and all over the cab >:(

suerly its time to loose her mate, even if you dont get a new tractor out of it, must be costing a small frotune to keep going with all these problems

Don't know whats wrong with it yet but I've had an incling all day something was brewing as the backend smelt hotter than normal :-\ Its in constant pumping all the time its harvesting as the tractor hydraulics power the elevator, spreader table and all the hydraulic rams on the machine so it does get fairly hot even with a free flow return fitted, just a different smell to it today as odd as it may sound

• 2 weeks later...

Should hopefully finish the last 3 acres of spuds tomorrow, would have finished today only it rained. Hoping to have a whole weekend off this weekend, need a break! Think we are about 25-30 miles from Norwich there

• 2 months later...

Not updated this for a while as we haven't been doing much due to the weather but due to the valve chest braking up on my Kverneland plough we've been getting some new ones on demo this week, had an Overum yesterday which I don't have any pics of but had a Dowdeswell MA140 today which was a very nice bit of kit and I now have a Rabe vari width on the tractor, nice but v v heavy.

Dowdeswell first including a video :) Oh and for the Mog fans what it arrived on :P

DSCN0414.jpg

DSCN0415.jpg

DSCN0417.jpg

DSCN0418.jpg

DSCN0419.jpg

th_DSCN0420.jpg

The Rabe, got a day on this one tomorrow :) Will be getting several more on Demo yet as its quite a big long term investment on a farm our size so want to make sure we have the right one

DSCN0423.jpg

DSCN0424.jpg

DSCN0422.jpg

And a couple of pics of my ever present co-pilot :D :D

DSCN0425.jpg

DSCN0426.jpg

got to go rabe mate , although with those tyres on i'm surprised yer going anywhere gav , as for yer mate ,he's a bit of a sweetie isn't he  :)

good job you didn't get a terrier , few years back , mate got a TM 175, was great till 2 days in the dog chewed the armrest gearleaver to peices  :D :D :D

how much does a plough set you back now a days then gav??? how many acres does it do a season

We probably plough between 500 and 600 acres a season depending on ground conditions. Prices are varying between about £14k and £18k so not a cheap item.

I have mentioned new boots a couple of times but not got them yet :D

I do like the Rabe but will see haw it fares on a full days work with fuel consumption which is being measured on all ploughs along with spare parts prices, the Rabe is also the most expensive plough we are trying I think

We probably plough between 500 and 600 acres a season depending on ground conditions. Prices are varying between about £14k and £18k so not a cheap item.

I have mentioned new boots a couple of times but not got them yet :D

I do like the Rabe but will see haw it fares on a full days work with fuel consumption which is being measured on all ploughs along with spare parts prices, the Rabe is also the most expensive plough we are trying I think

blimey gone up in price then, we had a dowdswell, from new, must have been a good 15 years, never had any major probs with it, simple to set up easy to get parts must have done about the same acerage as yours between the 2 farms it was used on, the other farm had its own,

nice bit,s of kit mate  im running a 6 furrow lemkin as were on banks at home it,s a nice light weight  plough  :)

i like the look of your nice straight ploughing  just the job  8)

be interesting to see  which one drinks the most juice  ::)

so whats going in behind the plough gav spring barley /wheat

Will be spring barley Simon, more than we'd planned for due to only half the wheat being drilled in the autumn because of the wet weather

Nice to see this updated mate :)  The rabe is a good plough know of few over years had one back home on partners farm and that was 5 furrow made lovely job on our clay helped break it a little due to slatted boards do you notice much difference on your ground?  We found helped old combi drill behind could go bit faster as didnt have to be doing as much work.  Have dowdeswell ploughs got any ligther over years remember hoisting 6 furrow with old 818 and that made her extremly light up front :D