At work with Gav

Gav836

A few destoner pictures, when we tried this yesterday before we hired the tiller it was throwing enough clods out the side to fill the trench up to the top again.................

004-35.jpg

005-32.jpg

006-29.jpg

........and not what you want to see in a spud bed, there was just damp soil there last night and this it what greeted us this morning ::)  we did think it might be a natural spring to begin with but are now thinking that there may be a cracked or collapsed land drain there so will be getting a digger in as it will only get worse, as it is the planter nearly got stuck there this afternoon

007-23.jpg

You can take the stone off Marky but everytime you ploughed the field you'd bring even more stones back to the surface. The destoner also removes clods which is what the bigger problem is on this field

Ah I see... but surely at some point you'd have taken all the stones out of the topsoil though Gav ? .. or does it not work like that mate ? ... how do they migrate from the subsoil to the topsoil if you normally plough to the same depth ???

You'd think that Marky, As i did too.. But it seems no, doesn't matter how many yo lift, theres still more!.. I think the stones grow in the soil.. Well in N.I. anyway!  ;D

I wonder if the lines had been so straight that if you had driven after pub visit Gav  ;D ;D

Nice work mate  ;) 

Luckily theres no photographic evidence of some subsoiling I done last spring with a severe hangover, I started off aiming straight but it looked like 5 snakes going across the field behind me ;D ;D

You'd think that Marky, As i did too.. But it seems no, doesn't matter how many yo lift, theres still more!.. I think the stones grow in the soil.. Well in N.I. anyway!  ;D 

Its the same here Blake, its as if they breed, no matter what you do the soil more stones appear

best get that dug out swiftish then gav with the seed due, will only need a row or two redoine i asume to sort the ridges after?? how did the old jd handle the grimmie then?? get nice and hot

That bit already been planted so if we do dig it out we'll just right off a narrow strip of field as we'll get the digger man to dig out a trench to lay some polypipe in to drain that patch, better to cut our losses now and sort the problem than battle it as there's been a wet patch in that area for the 3 years I've been here.

We had a demonstration of a Standen Uniweb Destoner yesterday which we were highly impressed with, both in performance and the small number of moving parts to replace yearly on it making for low running costs, so much so in fact my boss jokingly said I'll order one ;D

001-35.jpg

002-39.jpg

006-30.jpg

007-24.jpg

008-23.jpg

here's a video of it at work as well, it was going quicker in these beds than our Grimme goes in beds that I've put the tiller through :of

Just incase photobucket is a wotsit again with video's, here's the Youtube link also:

th_004-36.jpg

I also attempted to plough the ex carrot land with 20 tons an acre of straw disced in on it yesterday, we abandoned in the end as the straw is too dry and fluffy to bury well at the moment so needs a rain on it. Just to prove I don't always plough straight......especially when the ground is like concrete so the plough rides out....

011-21.jpg

and one video, again also on Youtube for the same reason:

th_010-19.jpg

Well unfortunately our destoner is back to its old ways this year and had a severe breakdown yesterday when the front web carrier frame split off and ripped the web to shreds that we only replaced 40 acres ago. After 7 hours with a welder, 14lb sledge hammer and grinder we had it straightened out and refitted and just for good measure we belted a length of steel bad up inside it and welded it just for good measure. It managed to do 6 hours work today before suffering electrical failure leaving it stuck in the middle of the field unable to move.......3 hours of checking things out and it turned out to be a loose wire.........wonder what delights tomorrow will bring ::) ::)

Yesterdays mishap........

001-36.jpg

002-40.jpg

This is what the front of the desstoner should look like and thanks to our efforts Tuesday does so

024-4.jpg

This is the last field that we have been working on, its a horrible field with no easy way to plant it so its been split into three and planted in three different directions. The field goes as far as the hedge line you can just about make out in the distance near the whiter soil in the centre of the picture

023-5.jpg

I've been ploughing for carrots for the past two days as well, the field has been subsoiled by a contractor at 18 inches deep and I'm ploughing it at 12-14 inches deep. There's a JD 8430 on the bed former, 6920s, 6930 and a Fendt on destoners along with a MF 8480 Dyna VT on a Jones bed shaper and MF 6480 on the carrot drill

003-33.jpg

006-31.jpg

007-25.jpg

008-24.jpg

010-20.jpg

022-7.jpg

I see on your first picture there is a skoot as well. How do you negotiate those? Do you first plant the middle bit and then all the headlands or is everything done at once and the following equipment i.e destoner, bedtiller and planter run over the headland beds?

I see on your first picture there is a skoot as well. How do you negotiate those? Do you first plant the middle bit and then all the headlands or is everything done at once and the following equipment i.e destoner, bedtiller and planter run over the headland beds?

The headlands are left until the middle of the field is all planted before being subsoiled and ridged up

The headlands are left until the middle of the field is all planted before being subsoiled and ridged up

Aha I see. Must be quite a hassle to come back and finish off the field or do you leave all like that and do the lot in the end? Do you keep a 10ft path for the sprayer also or will that have to run through the beds?

I usually try to pull each headland up as the other pair have finished turning on them, particularly while we are applying pesticide granules as well in case they have left any laying on them accidently. I don't usually mind going back and doing headlands on fields as its a change of scene and a break from doing the same field, particularly in the case of the last one. All the fields are within a 2 mile radius of the farm anyway so its not a great travelling distance either.

We do leave a 3m track around the field on at least 3 sides for both spraying and irrigation reasons, they never used to but it was one of the things I pused for the first year I took the job on as there's so much waste when you plant right up to the field work on headlands by the time you've jammed about with spraying and irrigating all season, I harvested more clods than spuds from that bed the first year I was there and boss agreed it was damaging kit as well