At work with Gav

Gav836

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are a few updates from the past few weeks at work, firstly combining our rape. My workmate took over while I nipped home so I took a couple of pictures on my return

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

One of many wet patches in one of our rape fields

IMG_0147.jpg

A couple taken last Friday as I cut our last field of the year, spring barley on a contract farm

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

I've also been ploughing for next years rape crop and the forage rape for the cows to graze on

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

The ducts have also been fitted to the potato store

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

and the fridge units installed outside

IMG_0172.jpg

We are now creep feeding this years calves as well ready for weaning and the cows are having straw ad-lib as well. We had a local engineering firm buils us a creep feed gate to fit in the barn doorway last year so we could use the feed bins in there instead of having to buy more mobile units

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

I saw that Omnivent were having an open day in Norfolk. Not at your farm is it Gav?

I might have asked before but it is quite unusual to be ploughing for rape these days. Won't a min-till system work with you, i.e subsoiler/dril? Or feel it is better to plough?

good to be back ploughing then gav?? always signals the start or the quiet winter times i feel, whats the white tent looking item beside the barn to?? to the left of the cattle shed

As good as it always is, not a signal of quieter times for us, just a brief break between harvests here. The white tent is the canopy on the potato grader

I saw that Omnivent were having an open day in Norfolk. Not at your farm is it Gav?

I might have asked before but it is quite unusual to be ploughing for rape these days. Won't a min-till system work with you, i.e subsoiler/dril? Or feel it is better to plough?

Yes one of the farms is ours, the other is a neighbouring grower.

Its a system that works well on our land and we get less slug problems from ploughing than we would do with min till, its still quite a common practice to do it that way around here.

• 4 weeks later...

Well we started potato harvesting on Saturday (why wait until a Monday in my bosses opinion!!)and got rained off on Sunday, we've now had 29mm of rain so I planned on having a days holiday today. All sounded good until I got a phone call last night saying "I think it will go tomorrow, can you come and try it" ::) well I've tried it and after nearly getting stuck with the harvester (with 4wd, diff lock and harvester wheel drive running at the limit) we decided it had better be left!!

Pictures from this morning

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

• Like 1

Here's a few pictures of our grading and store filling operation. The grader is sporting a new shelter on it that was built mostly by myself after the original tarpaulin split and was uneconomic to repair.

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

Yields are down this year Sean, size isn't as good either, lots of little ones this year

Can't believe how clean that crop is looking. Ours is usually reasonably dirty and there will be soil and haulm around plus some heaps under the conveyor belts and store loader. How are you for damaged tubers then, cleaning them so vigorously? What sort of system do have with points for damage?

The grader gets rid of most of the clod and soil via the star cleaners or the 4 Bulgarians manning it, the crop in the trailers is fairly cloddy. The harvester does a good job at getting the haulm and a lot of the soil out through the XS cleaner and roller table. I'm unsure of the damage points system as I don't have much to do with that end of it, just the harvester operation.

Ah that is a shame. Plus your on light land as well of course. The roller tables and cleaning rollers don't work over here. If they are used over here it is always in combination with Dahlmann rollers as well. But having them clean to excessively will certainly damage your crop.

Hopefully I'll be going with the Standen tomorrow again. Good old trusty Status 1750! Will try and put some photo's up.

I wish we were on light land! The field we're on at the moment isn't at all light land, when its dry its good going but when its wet its an absolute pig, I've only just managed to get up to a decent speed after the 29mm of rain that fell through Sunday night and Monday. Yesterday my boss was on the harvester while I was at a family funeral and he barely got above 1-1.5kph, by the time I finished tonight I was up to 3.8kph. Alot of the time I'm carrying soil right the way through to the end of the cleaner table at the moment, its taking the full length of the machine to get rid of it. I do know that we need a bruising score of 15 or less ideally, yesterday's was 20, but my boss isn't even sure how its worked out, no-one else other than Spearhead seem to either!

Just a couple from today showing just what I'm pushing through the harvester at the moment, soil is still very wet so doesn't drop through the webs very easily but at least I can carry it right through the machine to try and prevent tuber bruising.

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Still trying to lift potatoes as and when the weather conditions allow us, our young trailer driver had a slight incident Friday though.......

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

He'd already nearly got stuck once through just sitting beside the harvester with all four wheels spinning until I "advised" him via cb to put his foot on the clutch ::)

This is what happens when the boss misses a strip with the sprayer as well.....

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

Talking of the boss and the sprayer.........he found out what happens when you forget to fold the booms up and try to drive past a straw stack when leaving the field

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

I've also outgrown my existing tool box so when I saw Halfords had an offer on where if you bought the 5 drawer roller cabinet then you got the 7 drawer top chest for £14, I already had the mid section so seemed a good time to update

IMG_0281.jpg

Luckily he's the main person who uses it so all the damage to it other than the boom is down to him as well. I've not been on it since March 2010, not to unhappy about that either. Its now had a new ram and a new boom section under warranty, we thing that the reason the boom bent instead of the ram on the left hand side is down to the fact that he done a similar trick on a hedge back in the spring when spraying headlands and bent that ram so the local hydraulic firm made up a new rod for it, we're sure that its of a higher grade rod than standard hence the boom bending first before the ram did.

After not lifting any potatoes since last Friday we tried to do a couple of loads this afternoon, the same driver as last time however managed to get himself bogged down again and we had to tug him out backwards this time. He reckons he can't watch to see if he is starting to spin out as he has to much to watch with the elevator in the trailer as it is.......patience is wearing thin.....very thin with him, its like talking to a brick wall telling him what to do/how to do something properly and I've given up now before I make myself ill again like I did with last years student >:( >:(

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg