At work with Gav

Gav836

The haulier finally came and collected the beet we had lifted two weeks ago today, there was a part load left over so I collected them off the Maus with a trailer and got a few pictures at the same time.

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

This is our farm cat Gypsy, the bulgarians adopted her last autumn and she's become resident ever since, she's earnt her keep by removing the mice from the barns and workshop...........trouble is she's very affectionate and will climb on my back and lay down when I'm bending over doing something which makes work interesting at times :D  :D

IMG_0448.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally back ploughing now over the last few days, unfortunately I had a "mishap" this morning for the first time since 2001.........

Stopped at 9am for tea break, 10 minutes later the furrow looked like this...........

IMG_0471_zps6475b769.jpg

30 seconds later this happened.......

IMG_0472_zps9f683e99.jpg

• Like 1

Never been wet their before, its at the top of a slope so we're thinking that its a new natural spring appeared after the past few months extremely wet weather.

Needed two chains and the JD 6910 to get me out, had to use two chains to get it far enough away from me to be on dry ground. Had no problems getting through on the next time down the field. Trouble was I had to pick the furrow press up where I got stuck so I think it was the extra pull needed to get that moving that assisted in getting me well bogged.

After not lifting any potatoes since last Friday we tried to do a couple of loads this afternoon, the same driver as last time however managed to get himself bogged down again and we had to tug him out backwards this time. He reckons he can't watch to see if he is starting to spin out as he has to much to watch with the elevator in the trailer as it is.......patience is wearing thin.....very thin with him, its like talking to a brick wall telling him what to do/how to do something properly and I've given up now before I make myself ill again like I did with last years student >:( >:(

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

Ironic?

Not at all as that was an obvious wet hole that could be seen from a mile away, the one I dropped into was hidden under a dry surface where there's never been a wet patch before. The farm is known for a high water table so its not unusual to get water in the furrow bottom, it is highly unusual to drop in how I did though. 

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I posted anything in here........my Case developed a hydraulic fault last Monday where it wouldn't lift the plough off the ground or operate any spools with a load on them so its i the dealers at the minute meaning I've now got a Puma 230 CVX on loan while its being repaired. In the past few days I've finished ploughig other than a wet patch of around 1 acre in one field, started subsoiling for potatoes and bee pulling down land for this years beet crop. Managed to get a few pictures too.....

We drilled our last bit of spring barley on Thursday, this was behind spuds and still a bit wet in places meaning our hedge cutting contractor who comes to help with spring work got his 6920s bogged, had to drag it 100m or more before he could move under his own power again.

IMG_0500_zps47d663fc.jpg

Puma 230 CVX on the plough

IMG_0501_zps075c019c.jpg

IMG_0502_zpsae199a3b.jpg

After I'd done those headlands I put the subsoiler on as we decided to abandon beet drilling over the weekend due to the cold weather and wintery showers.....

IMG_0510_zps084c89d1.jpg

• Like 1

We started drilling beet after lunch today, had already pulled one bit down with the Germinator last week for us but we also have to drill one our neighbours beet for him this year so started pulling his land down

IMG_0513_zps20e1a17a.jpg

IMG_0514_zps12ac1b6c.jpg

IMG_0515_zps28148d4c.jpg

Something that we haven't seen a lot of for a while........DUST!!!

IMG_0512_zps217556d3.jpg

Not really, all the controls are the same. Main difference other than hp is the fact that the 230 has ad-blue on it and mine is one of the last of the ones that doesn't, it sounds completely different and less throaty because of it.

We've had to buy our own for it, by the time I get mine back on Monday and this one goes back it'll have used £60's worth of Adblue so not too bad. Finally found out what was wrong with mine today after having two chaps from Case UK working on it all day, seems like a valve problem but will find out more when I pick it up on Monday all being well. The loan 230 has had one breakdown this week when a hydraulic hose exploded under the cab on Wednesday, made a nice mess over everything but was soon fixed by stealing one off mine back at the branch.

they say farmers are hard to please sean,i would think they should buy the adblue themselves mate,cant expexct everything for nowt

there must be something about the case thats worth it, i have seen several appear this way, 2 on a farm thats always been jd until these arrived,

did they supply you with a bottle of ad blue then gav?? or leave you to buy your own

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We've finished potato planting today after one of the easiest seasons we've had. Our hedge cutting contractor has been doing the bed forming this year with his 6920s but we did have to put the 6910 on it for a few hours when his lift ram seals went. This year we are growing VR808 and Russet Burbank, we've now ditched the Saturna in favour of the VR808 as they yield better. Total area for this year is about 135 acres. The last field had a crop of grazing rye on it which left us with a lot of residue to deal with, the destoner was struggling with it as it was blocking the webs up so we had to get a contractor in with a blade type bed tiller to chop it up at a cost of £60 an hour, not cheap when he's done 25 acres at a speed of 2kph!!

6910 and bedformer

IMG_0545_zps6ef4eef2.jpg

IMG_0546_zpsa31ffb70.jpg

Contractors 6630

IMG_0551_zpsa0eb4e8b.jpg

IMG_0549_zpsfdae7faa.jpg

Puma and Standen Uniweb destoner

IMG_0560_zpsbbf341bd.jpg

IMG_0561_zpsddbb5972.jpg