At work with Gav

Gav836

Thought I'd get you a few pictures of what I've spent an hour doing at work today (and it actually went right first time hence why it only took an hour), we're running our irrigation pump 24-7 at the moment to get water on the spuds and carrots, the spuds are now on their third pass and the carrots are getting their second pass, each pass should be putting on roughly 25mm of water.

These pictures are from the carrot field which is the reel I've done today, the boss has been looking after the other one on the spuds where its taking 24 - 30 hours to come in due to the length of the field.

Halfway across

001-26.jpg

002-26.jpg

Nearly there.....

003-21.jpg

There at last......

004-25.jpg

Its a relief when this happens on the first attempt ::)

005-22.jpg

There's no way I'm coming in to move it at that time of night :of;D ;D

006-20.jpg

This is our high tech method of avoiding getting wet from leaking taps when we turn them on ;D ;D

008-16.jpg

The chart we use to determine what retraction speed we set the reel on and what nozzle we use in the rain gun

007-17.jpg

35 acres Sean, we don't usually grow them but the Environment Agency threatened to cut down our water abstraction licence as we hadn't used all the allowance for the past couple of years so we rented out a field for carrots to someone as the land in question is too full of disease to grow spuds on, the 5 acres of spuds we did plant on that field are riddled with Potato Cyst Nematode anyway which decimates the yield. We're only doing the irrigation on them so using our allowance up hopefully this year keeping the EA off our backs

Heres a few pictures I took of the bossman spraying the spuds for blight this morning while I was waiting to pull the irritator back onto the field after a couple of minor repairs to the gun frame. They are now starting their 4th pass of 25mm of water on this field which at present looks like it could be its last as the pump is starting to cut out due to low water levels in the bore.........we've abstracted around 40,000 cubic metres of water in the past 3 weeks :of :of  The maximum amount of water we are allowed to put on a season is 150mm but its not looking like we'll do that this year

003-22.jpg

004-26.jpg

005-23.jpg

006-21.jpg

007-18.jpg

008-17.jpg

For the most part we've had no problems with it and its speeded up the spraying operation no end, we've had a couple of minor issues with it during the spring and one over the weekend with the diaphrams in it not liking some of the chemicals we use so we've put the higher grade ones in now. I do wish we'd had auto boom levelling on it though as its a pain in the ass at times

thought the auto boom option would have been the first on the list??? save you a lot of extra work wouldnt it ,good to hear at least one jd is going ok in the yard mind kind of makes up for the 6920, others seem to be performing well as i dont recal any moans about them

The 6810 and 6910 are all good other than age related wear and tear, both need a 3 point hitch rock shaft, 6910 is in fact getting that done later this week along with the front axle pins and bushes and the 6810 will probably not ever have it done unless it fails as it doesn't do much hitch work these days but it does need the track rods looking at.

That leaves the 6420s which has an untraceable vibration on it somewhere that is suspected to be engine related and we all know about my 6920s ::)

For the most part we've had no problems with it and its speeded up the spraying operation no end, we've had a couple of minor issues with it during the spring and one over the weekend with the diaphrams in it not liking some of the chemicals we use so we've put the higher grade ones in now. I do wish we'd had auto boom levelling on it though as its a pain in the ass at times

Stop being so lazy gav I haven't used mine in 4 months plus and over 6000 acres so stop whinging there more a pain at this time when crops this height as on mine has a tendency to slam booms on ground one side when gets confused by the height crop so would happen a lot on spuds going by this happens on even wheat crops :D :D

hmmmmmmm lets see your's is a self propelled Sands which would have a completely different set up and no forces acting on it from the tracking drawbar, we are constantly fiddling with the boom levelling on ours as it has no form of auto levelling on it at all only manual adjustment whereas I know the last Sands I had anything to do with had it in some form as standard, don't forget we have spuds as well, watching my boss the other morning he was having to lift the booms right up to get round the ends and corners without damaging anything then letting them down and levelling them when on the straight again

I've got boom trac on my 840I and i wouldn't be without it now , its nothing to do with being lazy it makes life easier and able to do the job better, you can keep the booms lower with out having to keep making minor adjustments frees you up to monitor what else is going on. especially with bigger booms , to often i see operators when i'm driving around with the booms to high above the crop cause its easier to run with them high than keep adjusting them, i have mine set so they are running around 50cm above the crop and they keep there unless i hit a sudden rut, and they also lift up at the end of the pass when i turn the spray lines off so they are up out of the way while i turn leaving me to make a smooth controled turn.

hmmmmmmm lets see your's is a self propelled Sands which would have a completely different set up and no forces acting on it from the tracking drawbar, we are constantly fiddling with the boom levelling on ours as it has no form of auto levelling on it at all only manual adjustment whereas I know the last Sands I had anything to do with had it in some form as standard, don't forget we have spuds as well, watching my boss the other morning he was having to lift the booms right up to get round the ends and corners without damaging anything then letting them down and levelling them when on the straight again

Ah ok not used a tracking drawbar so can't comment what they like for forces sorry gav but not been to impressed with mine at all only on the very best of wheat crops and when its short does it work tried it on beans today gave up and went back to manual.  It is brilliant on stubble and early stages of the year though :)

• 1 month later...

Here's a few pictures from work today of us combining one of our last bits of wheat, had to have the dealer out to the combine today though as its had some water get into the electrics over the past week so been doing silly things ::)

007-19.jpg

008-19.jpg

009-24.jpg

010-16.jpg

012-15.jpg

011-16.jpg