Not huge but the biggest 2WD tractor I've ever driven.

the other green

We were hauling the last of last year's hay home before things get really muddy around here. I got the use of a friend's John Deere 4650 since I hauled his hay too.

I'll bet that trailer with the front wheel dolly isn't an easy one to reverse with???

Nice looking John Deere.

How many HP has that got TOG?

Is it hard to turn in snow with a 2 wd tractor?

Thanks. :)

They are about 160 HP at the PTO, 140 HP on the Drawbar. As for steering in snow, I would use the independent brakes as well as the steering wheel.

Hi Fendt Power. Graeme is right on with the specs. as far as HP. As for getting around on snow, it all depends on the type of snow and how much there is  :)

In this case, putting the blade down and clearing it to bare ground is the best bet. If the snow isn't too deep and is powdery, it'll drive not too bad and you can still steer ok. If the snow is like it is now, packed, hard and crusty, there's no easy way to get around. What the 4650 has going for it is sheer weight.

Bill, there are definite pros and cons with that trailer. Backing up is a serious con. Best done slowly. Turning though is a big pro though, it will turn in its own length  8)

Marky, the duals help at times, if there is traction to be had. Does that make sense? If you are driving around in the snow, they're having to cut another set of tracks. In my opinion, the jury is still out on that one. I always had duals figured to be a help with floatation rather than traction. You can argue that one for hours with lads over here. ;)

Her is a last pic of the 4650 and one of what my Dad was hauling with, his Ford pick-up.

post-60-132638576134_thumb.jpg

post-60-132638576138_thumb.jpg

Nice pics TOG :);)

I guess traction wise given the way that you mount your duals over there its a reasonable deduction. But as most people here only use the clamp on stocks ones i would imagine that they would jst turn within the tractors rims, i have witnessed it a couple of times on some tractors. Its usually only the big artics that have bolt on ones here from my experience and smaller ones with row crops like our 7840. Can't remember seeing any others with bolt on ones :-\

Hi Fendt Power. Graeme is right on with the specs. as far as HP. As for getting around on snow, it all depends on the type of snow and how much there is  :)

In this case, putting the blade down and clearing it to bare ground is the best bet. If the snow isn't too deep and is powdery, it'll drive not too bad and you can still steer ok. If the snow is like it is now, packed, hard and crusty, there's no easy way to get around. What the 4650 has going for it is sheer weight.

Bill, there are definite pros and cons with that trailer. Backing up is a serious con. Best done slowly. Turning though is a big pro though, it will turn in its own length  8)

Marky, the duals help at times, if there is traction to be had. Does that make sense? If you are driving around in the snow, they're having to cut another set of tracks. In my opinion, the jury is still out on that one. I always had duals figured to be a help with floatation rather than traction. You can argue that one for hours with lads over here. ;)

Her is a last pic of the 4650 and one of what my Dad was hauling with, his Ford pick-up.

Adam

Is that 17 bales on behind that truck - what weight can that "beastie" pull?

Gav, it's a little bit of both over here, on bolt on duals with the spacer, there's a tab welded on the inner rim that fits into a two tab "notch" on the spacer, same for the outer rim. We don't have a lot of trouble with the rim crawling but tyres have been known to do it. Duals mounted on long axles or "rowcrop duals" as they're known give less trouble but cost more.

A little aside to the rowcrop duals thing is that when the life of the tractor is over as far as tillage goes and it becomes a loader or haying tractor (like Alice the Allis  ;)), the first thing that happens is, someone takes the "red wrench" and cuts the extra axle-shaft off flush with the outside of the rim to avoid wrecking gates and gate-posts.  :)

Bill, that's a million dollar question :'( :'( That truck is at its limit as you see it in the picture. Those bales are from an 853 New Holland (about 950lbs) we also put on 15 bales from a New Holland 855 (about 1150lbs) BUT we have blown-up the transmission once already with this truck and it needs bearings in the rear diff too  :'( The trailer is also geezily heavy when its empty too. All kinds of power but theweakest link is the tranny. When we had it rebuilt, the repair shop made it more heavy-duty but even-so, I give it a little push with a bale on the loader to get it rolling when the ground is soft. Let's not even get into what it should be pulling "legally"  :-[

Adam,

If you tried pulling loads like that with a truck in Aberdeenshire you would have the book thrown at you by the traffic commissioners. Those quy's are really tightening up on farmers here especially the ones who are running large tractors and JCD Fast tracks on red diesel and pulling plant and such things for use in the building trade  etc opposed to agricultural use.

Bill

Same thing here Bill, As it sits in the picture, it's over weight (I can identify with it  ;)), over width, not tied down, no outriggers, no dovetail on the back, no wide load sign, and no travel permit. As a result, I stay on the gravel (back) roads which are rarely traveled and if they are, it's by farm folk, and everyone is happy.

And to think Adam I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you have removed the ropes or ratchet straps for the photos!!!!

Oh, dear, Bill. I think you have completely the wrong impression of me. Nowhere in my member's info does it say anything about being good or playing by the rules  ;)

Oh, dear, Bill. I think you have completely the wrong impression of me. Nowhere in my member's info does it say anything about being good or playing by the rules  ;)

Very true Adam. I just think that picture of your dad's truck pulling that load is awesome. I just printed a pictures since i was telling friends last night about it and they could'nt believe it.

Not huge? I'd say thats a fair old lump TOG!! Did you have to plow your way into the field to collect the bales then?!  :D I did think it odd the size of some of the 2wd's in the USA and so too the size of some of the loader tractors. What year is this old iron horse then? The weather/work has been kind to it by the looks of things.

Not huge? I'd say thats a fair old lump TOG!! Did you have to plow your way into the field to collect the bales then?!  :D I did think it odd the size of some of the 2wd's in the USA and so too the size of some of the loader tractors. What year is this old iron horse then? The weather/work has been kind to it by the looks of things.

Oh, yeah!, my brother spent an hour or so pushing/piling snow with the D. Agrotron and loaderbefore we could start loading. I loaded and between loads, I switched the bale spike with the bucket and cleared more snow as we worked our way down the rows.

The 4650 was built from 1983 to 1988, I'm not sure of the exact age of this one. I agree, it does seem that front-wheel-assist as they call it here was a bit slow to catch on. They've sure made up for it now though, hardly ever see any new two wheel drive tractors now.

Funny you should say that it looks to be in good shape, the owner is going to refurbish the cab and give the tractor a complete paint-job if he has time this year  :)

I'll add on a picture of the bales as they came out of the rows, it'll give you an idea of how the snow can drift.

post-60-132638576974_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...