first field of silage cut

Tractorman810

out on my trips today, i came a cross a cut feild of sialge, fair size one and seemed to have a good cut of crop in it, assume it was cut by the little 2wd zetor in the corner with a mower on the back, and there was a tedder sat in there to, i cant ever remember seeing a feild cut this early down this way before,so must be a record i recon ,any of you guys due to cut soon

wouldnt be surprise mate, we have had rain at night even though its been warm, sereral fields of grass up nice and high arround to, so they cant be far of either, back there hopefully end of this week so i wil ltry and get a pic or 2 of the zetor

can honestly say i have not seen it this early before, ,might have only been a small holder but sure the feilds part of the local farm ,no one arround to talk to unfortuantly, or i would have stopped and asked them, seen lots of contractors moving trailers arround and a few mowers out in yrads though

can honestly say i have not seen it this early before, ,might have only been a small holder but sure the feilds part of the local farm ,no one arround to talk to unfortuantly, or i would have stopped and asked them, seen lots of contractors moving trailers arround and a few mowers out in yrads though

Aye one contractor got new butterfly mowers, and the harvester back from the dealers

The grass on my lawn has been cut today for the third time this year  :o  It's a good growing season for grass up here in the far flung north. The dairy farmer at the top of my road put his cows out today for good. That's 3 weeks earlier than they went out last year he told me.

A lot of dairy farmers 'round here are looking strongly at growing maize bacause they are allowed to spread more slurry on maize ground than on grassland. If they decide to grow maize they may consider taking a short crop of grass off the fields first - I remember one of the bigger dairy farmers doing just that two or three years ago.

Other than that, I wouldn't expect to see much silage cut until early June. The growth is way back this year because of the lack of rain.

I have seen a few contractors machines on the road in co. Down here lately. I've also noticed a few farmers having there machines in the yard getting them ready.

As others have mentioned it seems a bit early, On the farm that i worked on, we always done the first cut after Balmoral Show.

I will take my camera out with me from now on.

cheers

Noel