Second Scratchbuilt Implement.

Well, here it is, took me about 8 hours to make, started it about 7.30 this morning, the hardest part was getting the side sheeting to stick and stay in shape with the top. I have made the rear wheel pivoting as the original would and the blade carrier turns as well. The blade and the wheel are a little tight at the moment but will soon loosen up after a few acres and a good grease.

Worked out what it is yet?  Yes, quite correct, it's a 'Bush-hog' weed topper, or as I would call it, a 'swipe'. Based on the Wolsley Bush Hog. Good hard working implement especially for gorse and low scrub. Still quite a few being used around these parts. Important to keep it maintained and well balanced otherwise they are liable to shake themselves to bits. Anyway, hope you all like this creation as much as the mower.  ???  8)

BushHogSwipe.jpg

RearOfSwipe.jpg

SwipeBottom.jpg

GoingSwiping.jpg

That is simply stunning... well done indeed... Will you be painting the PTO yellow... or even making a slide on guard for it.. that really would be the icing on an already superb cake  :o

10/10

It looks just right behind the little 135 as well  :)

That is simply stunning... well done indeed... Will you be painting the PTO yellow... or even making a slide on guard for it.. that really would be the icing on an already superb cake  :o

10/10

It looks just right behind the little 135 as well  :)

Done the pto now. Could'nt put a 'sliding' tube on as it would make it too fat, just painted yellow with a bit of tube on the front end to represent the guard. Must admit, it does look better. Always glad of ideas and comments, easy to overlook little things.  ::)

SwipeNowwithFinishedPTO.jpg

Brilliant... that finishes it off a treat... suuuuuuuuuper... Now then... my idea.... my model now... read the FTF rules  ;D:D :D :D

Seriously though Mr PR... you should considr getting one of the boys to help you cast that in resin... I reckon you would shift a fair few of those  ;D

Brilliant... that finishes it off a treat... suuuuuuuuuper... Now then... my idea.... my model now... read the FTF rules  ;D:D :D :D

Seriously though Mr PR... you should considr getting one of the boys to help you cast that in resin... I reckon you would shift a fair few of those  ;D

Here here definetly ... you really should your onto a winner there  ;) Maybe a few paint changes aswell  ;) I know spearhead have a similiar .. good luck if you decide to go down that road  ;) But what a model mate, absoluely stunning detail and really looks great

Thanks for that Mr. Marky and Mr. Nick. I think it would need a considerable amount of improvement to produce in any numbers, perhaps I am too critical of my own work but I am very flattered  to think that people think it worthy of that. Perhaps I ought to consider taking out a patent and registering a copyright!   ;)

Not at all Mr Pr... that is worthy of reproducing in my opinion... I think little implements like this are often overlooked by the big boys.. I reckon they would look great on a few of the layouts on here as well...  ;)

It's definetly what we haven't got enough of in my opinion  :-\ I think it's definetly worth a try  ;)

Not at all Mr Pr... that is worthy of reproducing in my opinion... I think little implements like this are often overlooked by the big boys.. I reckon they would look great on a few of the layouts on here as well...  ;)

I know what you mean. Why Britain's don't produce this sort of 'older' style equipment baffles me, there used to be some good stuff produced. We know that times change and real farm equipment has moved on but collectors and oldies like myself appreciate the older stuff and lets face it, there are a lot of farmers and, for the sake of a better description, hobby and small farmers out there that still have a use and still do use such things as a 4cwt (next project) fertalizer spinner and 2 furrow Fergy plough. Someone asked me a while back if I wanted to buy a digger, I said thanks but I've already got one, just needs a new handle!

I'd better stop now as I'm going off topic.  ::)

You don't dissapoint do you!

Another great looking model and a lot sooner than i was expecting! :) :)

Better wait 'till tomorrow night, might just have another surprize up my sleeve by then but I will sleep on that one.  ;)

That is a cracking model, i love it, suits the old stuf to the bone, One question, Did you make the 135 cab of is it a orignal one?

The reason why the big boys dont go for this stuf is becouse it means they have to go looking for the plans and the manafactures permission, The new stuf the oems just send them a email and say" we have a new model such and such coming out heres the plans make one to sell to promte it please and i lookforward to the bill,

That is a cracking model, i love it, suits the old stuf to the bone, One question, Did you make the 135 cab of is it a orignal one?

The reason why the big boys dont go for this stuf is becouse it means they have to go looking for the plans and the manafactures permission, The new stuf the oems just send them a email and say" we have a new model such and such coming out heres the plans make one to sell to promte it please and i lookforward to the bill,

The cab on the MF 135 is original, they did a 135 with cab in yellow  as well, there were a few variants with subtle differences, 135 with/without cab, early cab had no windscreen, 2nd type with windscreen, 3rd type fully glazed. In the box with the red ones there was a white bit of plastic that fitted on the front grille over the 'headlamps' to facillitate fitment of the 'muledozer' blade implement.(Front screen, doors and side windows, open back). The yellow one (industrial) should have originally had a red plastic front loader and bucket but I believe some were produced without the loader, the experts will tell you more.

Fantastic that is!!! Although the older stuff is more appealing this kind of implement is still racking up the hours all over our country for the horsey people, CSS headland margins, contry parks and the likes. Would you make any more?

How about one with chains? The ones I have used have had a row of chains at the front and rear.

Any chance of making some more?

Some did have a row of chains hanging in the front, these chains stopped the grass or whatever was being swiped from being blown forward onto the back of the tractor, some were fitted with a row of hanging hinged metal plates that did the same. I put 3 blades on the plate as it was simpler to do, some had a square plate with 4 blades like a disc mower, some had a round plate like a disc with 4 blades, others had just 3 heavy chains fitted to a sort of hub, these were for more rough cutting like scrub and gorse then there were others fitted with just a long flat single wide heavy blade. the gearbox was basicly a pulley drive very much the same as the bolt-on tractor pulley that Fergy and David Brown made but adapted for these swipes. When larger swipes ant toppers came into being they were fitted with a double cutting arrangement and of course there is the flail type. The pivoting wheel on the back could be raised or lowered to help level the machine and to aid the cutting height to a certain extent, these were usualy metal or a lot of like conveyer belt sections fixed together in the round, a pneumatic tyre was not usualy used as the wheel took a lot of punishment.

As regards making more of this model, or simmilar I am contemplating it but I would like to make something just that little different. Working on another fairly simple machine now but it's going to take a little more time as there are a lot of components to cut, shape, file and glue.

The chains found on the front of the toppers like on the McConnel Rhino also have another function. .. they help form a vacuum under the deck to pull the grass up from the wheelings made by the tractor.  ;)

The chains found on the front of the toppers like on the McConnel Rhino also have another function. .. they help form a vacuum under the deck to pull the grass up from the wheelings made by the tractor.  ;)

I think that some had an open back as well with hanging chains or hinged steel plates to let the cut material out as it were. the bush hog type, as per model, were narrower than the track of most tractors from what I can remember. We used to have a swipe come topper that was made by Hayter, it had four solid rubber tyres that you could raise and lower by a handle altering the cutting height and had 2 triangular plates under with 3 mower like blades on each, drive was by pto to 2 crossed 'V' section belts. A tractor driven rough cut mower really towed with a type of 'A' frame hinged drawbar. Did a good job on grass fields.