MODEL OF THE MOMENT... Brian Norman's Massey Ferguson 1200 ~ And the "Real Deal"

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FINALLY... I'll leave you with this pic from the last Massey 1200 brochure to be produced... I don't think our American cousins got the 1200... you guys had the larger 1500... which became the 1505 (and we were lucky enough to have that one too)... The 1500 had outgrown Perkins largest engine at the time and so Catapillar stepped in with their amazing 3208 V8 engine... America also had the 1800... later becoming the 1805... a real MONSTER of an Artic. - they ran the same CAT engine... pushing well over 210hp... Most of these American spec tractors had no lifting equipment... just a simple drawbar for pure muscular lugging power  :o

For those of you that havn't nodded off during my post.. I thank you for looking and I hope you have enjoyed the read...

Look at her over 5 tonnes of beauty  :-*:-* :-*:-*

Come on Jason.... post us a pic of your real one please  ;)

I seem to think mine weighed in at around 6T Mark, possibly more.....  :-\

100_2938.jpg

your a lucky man with her jas, little bit of effort and shes be spot on

she don't look that bad Jas , any plans for her mate ???

I keep getting tempted to take the spanners to her but "The Boss" says some of by big boys toys will have to go if I'm going to get another motor this year.... "Whats the point in having all these things parked up all over the place if you aren't going to use them" were her words..... My words on the matter were totally different but muttered of course ::)  ;D

I keep getting tempted to take the spanners to her but "The Boss" says some of by big boys toys will have to go if I'm going to get another motor this year.... "Whats the point in having all these things parked up all over the place if you aren't going to use them" were her words..... My words on the matter were totally different but muttered of course ::)  ;D

well it will be worth some dosh in the not to distant future i recon jas, those 2 minit ones in ct mag were listed at a good price before they even went under the hammer, 

i have had the pleasure of driving one of  these bad boys and all i can say is its good on the flat not so good on the hills. they run away very well in the hills . no weight on the back makes it  fun to drive. problems with sterring happened all the time. i liked the muti power on it and at times it really helpful.

i have had the pleasure of driving one of  these bad boys and all i can say is its good on the flat not so good on the hills. they run away very well in the hills . no weight on the back makes it  fun to drive. problems with sterring happened all the time. i liked the muti power on it and at times it really helpful.

The wheels on mine are filled with water which helps I should expect.  :)

I seem to remember that when the 1200's first came out they had trouble with the tyres ripping the valves out, apparently they had so much grip , the wheels turned inside the tyres and off came the valves. They had to take them into the dealers and nurl the wheel rims to stop it happening.

I seem to remember that when the 1200's first came out they had trouble with the tyres ripping the valves out, apparently they had so much grip , the wheels turned inside the tyres and off came the valves. They had to take them into the dealers and nurl the wheel rims to stop it happening.

Funny you should mention that. In he early seventies when radial tyres started to become popular, we (SussexTractors) had problems with both Counties and Muir Hills doing the same. As you say the solution was to fit Knurled wheel rims. That got rid of that problem till the rim mounting lugs started cracking and shearing off. For a while the answer to that was a bridge gusset which fitted over the wheel rim lug. Not long after, a heavy duty rim and centre became available. Problem solved!!!  ::)

Oooo, I've just noticed that the model's rear lights are different to the real thing's, was a change made to the real thing?

Explain yourself marky!

If I remember rightly... I think they folded up out of the way for field work  :-\