MODEL OF THE MOMENT... Brian Norman's Massey Ferguson 1200 ~ And the "Real Deal"

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Marky,

Not being from a farming background I don't know to much about tractors so these types of posts are most helpful and interesting. Great pics also :P

Wonder if we can get some other enthusiasts to do the same with some other brands ???

thanks Marky a very interesting read. the 1200 and me born in the same year. ;D

Same here Mark.

Have you got any of the G&M 1/16 Fergy models Marky? I've only got the one, the red and grey 35, the only one that I could afford at the time.

How about the UH 35x, the red and grey one and the yellow and grey one, the yellow one was a limited edition, then there's the TE20 as well

I agree that the 1/32 Brian Norman 1200 was/is one of the best Ferguson models made to date I had mine when it was first released, don't know what number it is, it's buried amongst the rest, I'll have to dig it out sometime.

Have you got any of the G&M 1/16 Fergy models Marky? I've only got the one, the red and grey 35, the only one that I could afford at the time.

How about the UH 35x, the red and grey one and the yellow and grey one, the yellow one was a limited edition, then there's the TE20 as well

I agree that the 1/32 Brian Norman 1200 was/is one of the best Ferguson models made to date I had mine when it was first released, don't know what number it is, it's buried amongst the rest, I'll have to dig it out sometime.

Glad you like it lads.... Lets hope some of you Ford... or John Deere lads can do the same... I am concious that you can all get "Massey Overload" if I keep this up on my own  :-[:D :D

Mr Powerrabbit... I don't own any G & M models sadly  :-\ - I do find them expensive... well... what I mean is... Mrs F finds them too expensive  :D :D

As for the UH 35x... I do have both varieties as well... and the Grey Fergie... - For the money you just can't beat them really... I busy trying to persuade a certain member on here to do a few convo's on that 35x  ;)

It was me who did the 35x Industrial with UH last year.... so at one time I had 1500 of the damn things... so I am now sick of the sight of them to be honest  :D :D :D::) - I am in the fortunate position to have both number one and number 1500 in my collection right now  :-\

It's fair to say that UH will be making some more Masseys in 1:16 scale sometime in the future... but when... I don't think they even know themselves  :D :D ::) :'( :'( :'(

Ok I have to admit the model is really good and another good feature from the Marky stable!

But please can we have the 35X! :D :D

Looks a superb model, very detailled and accurate when you compare it to the brochure pictures.

Typical of the tractors of its time, if it was well looked after it was a treat to drive. Sadly most of them weren't too well looked after and ended up with dangerous brakes and vague steering. Massey should have done what Muir Hill did and fitted a turbo'd 6354 as well, giving about 140-150 HP. I reckon that would have been near perfect for the size and weight of this tractor. :P 2000 series back end would have been good if it had been available. ::) Massey certainly made some good looking kit long before other manufacturers ie the MF 500 Combine :P:-*  and later the 1200. :-* Compare it to what else was available when it came out, Counties with Duncan (Elbow breaker)  and Fritzmier  cabs and Muir Hills with their horrible square cab/safety frame that looked like a shed perched on top of it. (Early 101 not the white sliding door version)

I have a leaflet on the 1200, will try to post it later if it hasn't already been done. ;) ;)

Typical of the tractors of its time, if it was well looked after it was a treat to drive. Sadly most of them weren't too well looked after and ended up with dangerous brakes and vague steering. Massey should have done what Muir Hill did and fitted a turbo'd 6354 as well, giving about 140-150 HP. I reckon that would have been near perfect for the size and weight of this tractor. :P 2000 series back end would have been good if it had been available. ::) Massey certainly made some good looking kit long before other manufacturers ie the MF 500 Combine :P:-*  and later the 1200. :-* Compare it to what else was available when it came out, Counties with Duncan (Elbow breaker)  and Fritzmier  cabs and Muir Hills with their horrible square cab/safety frame that looked like a shed perched on top of it. (Early 101 not the white sliding door version)

I have a leaflet on the 1200, will try to post it later if it hasn't already been done. ;) ;)

Many of them were fitted with an Opico Turbo around here for that very reason... and I do agree with the vague steeting.... if not greased at regular intervals they were a REAL PIG on the road... reminds me of a Sanderson SB55TC forklift I once had to drive 8 miles... NEVER NEVER again...  :o

good topic marky , & a good read too , never driven one although i did pass up an opertunity a while back , chap at sparkford has one all restored & works it  on a 4 leg flatlift subsoiler once the corns off , looks really nice watching it go up & down the fields all day  :)

Fantastic write up Marky, I was keeping tabs last night while you were doing it and love the work mate. Excellent photo's, well written .. .a great contribution for fellow modellers to read up on mate. Thanks.  :)

very nice reading marky, having driven one of those in anger and owning the same model to, i must say without a doubt they are my favorite tractor, such huge fun to drive,power on tap, just a little strange turning and not seeing the front wheels turn like the other tractors i had driven before, but soon got over that 

please tell me im not going mad but im sure i read somewhere

that the MF 1200 shared allot of conponments with its little

brother the MF 135 please dont quote me on this as im going by

my blurred twisted memory

might be the transmission or somthing like that

very good topic indeed marky  ;) you can go back to your desk again

now   :D;D

please tell me im not going mad but im sure i read somewhere

that the MF 1200 shared allot of conponments with its little

brother the MF 135 please dont quote me on this as im going by

my blurred twisted memory

might be the transmission or somthing like that

very good topic indeed marky  ;) you can go back to your desk again

now   :D;D

That was the 185... not the 135... close... but no cigar  :)

Glad you all liked it... I'm looking forward to doing the 35 next for Kev and the lads... HOWEVER... I really would like to see another make or two on here before I post another Massey Topic... can someone do the Ford 6600 perhaps.. or the Deutz DX110... ???

That was the 185... not the 135... close... but no cigar  :)

Glad you all liked it... I'm looking forward to doing the 35 next for Kev and the lads... HOWEVER... I really would like to see another make or two on here before I post another Massey Topic... can someone do the Ford 6600 perhaps.. or the Deutz DX110... ???

A little old for my collection I'm afraid Marky but I could do the Ford 5610 at some point...... ??? ??? :);)

Yes please Mart... who made the model of the 5610  ???

Britains did two versions of it I believe Marky......Narrow Wheeled and then Wide Wheeled......However I think it came in three different boxes not mentioning the sets it was included in......Will check my Dave Pullen book though...... :) :) :);)

sounds good mart go for it

Cheers Sean......Will see what I can do...... :) :) :);)

This'll make you laugh. One of Sussex Tractors customers had a 1200 and used it for contracting. He parked it up in his brothers shed with a five furrow Ransomes conventional plough on the back. Along comes his nephew, who had never driven one before, jumps on it, starts it up, lifts the plough, engages a gear, swings the steering on full lock, hears a loud bang and oops,, sorry dad I've made a big hole in the asbestos sheets on the side of the barn. :-[:-[