Few pictures from round the farms *Updated on - 10/03/13*

Deere-est

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The odd rub of a bank here and there does occur, Chris but when it gets too silly we get the tractors or machines brought out to somewhere more convenient for us to load. Most people are understanding, the odd person is reluctant but they are few and far between thankfully.

Love the pics, Tris, especially "les Girls". Looks like Zia is a a proper water-baby. Always ensure you have several (large) towels and a waterproof sheet with you otherwise you will have a very wet ride home!

I forgot - teach her to shake thoroughly BEFORE she gets into a vehicle.

Great update Tris.

The 4600 doesn't look bad at all. Looking for one similar to that at present with a goosed engine but must be good otherwise.

As for the 4610, interesting to note it has the dual pumps for the hydraulics.

Thank you for all the replies folks. Nice that you all take an interest in my day to day work. It's certainly nice to wake up looking forward to work, even if it can be 3am at times. The day out for the balers was a good day, especially with Traci and Zia for company. Rigid jobs are often more surprising as you know it usually means somewhere awkward, with the probable use of the crane ir winch needed! Never a dull day that's for sure :)

Not round Shaftesbury all that often really Oliver, probably pass through once a month on average either going Dorset way to pick up machinery or dropping something off at the saleground.

• 1 month later...

Seems it has been a while since I updated this topic so I will whizz through a bit quick and add some photos of the loads I have been collecting.

But I'll start by letting the Aberdeen Angus heiffers out to grass for the first time:

IMAG0679.jpg

A spot of rolling with the little Fiat which is still about and I hope it is for a while yet!!

IMAG0680.jpg

A lovely view which means spring is well and truly coming into play (before we were forecast with drought, followed by the wettest April on record!!)

IMAG0681.jpg

Some trailer chassis I dropped off at a fabricators yard who makes the bodies and sprays them up for us.

IMAG0686.jpg

After dropping them off it was off down into Somerset a bit further to drop this pretty tidy 6170 off at a fencing company who thought it was about time they had something a bit newer. . . god knows what it replaced!

IMAG0688.jpg

On the way home a stop at the Cooper and Tanner collective sale and these guys were also waiting to get their bought/unsold lots loaded.

IMAG0689.jpg

I had a grass box and a nice set of discs which I loaded with the crane.

IMAG0690.jpg

Another of my trips when I left at tea time for Penzance, a night out in the rigid! The first time that has been required and in all fairness, it wasn't a bad nights sleep on the side of the A30 at Crowlas. Then off to St Buryan in the morning to pick up these two beauties.... needless to say it was a crane job!

IMAG0705.jpg

IMAG0706.jpg

I'm not a fan of the Fiats but that's a tidy one 8)

It's a nice little tractor to be honest, first Fiat I have ever driven. The last owner did swipe the radio out of it which is a shame but as a cattle farmers workhorse goes, it does the job. No idea on the horsepower. .. ? About 85 I am guessing.

Another Somerset bound trip was this one, to deliver a 3065 with loader to a farmer who had traded in his 3125 with a gearbox problem against it. To be honest, if the gearbox problem is not a major one and can be fixed easily, it may be a good deal. It's a lovely looking tractor at least.

IMAG0709.jpg

IMAG0710.jpg

Store cattle having their morning silage.

IMAG0711.jpg

Bully with his head stuck in a ring feeder, resulted in two of us having to cut out one of the verticals so he could get out. Hopefully he has remembered which one he can use now!

IMAG0722.jpg

And another new arrival.

IMAG0721.jpg

Them we Fiats are great i use to cart silage with one it was a 88-94 Turbo it was a great little puller 10ton marshall trailer on some very steep land

That 3125 dosnt seem to be in bad shape some TLC and it would be fine hope the gearbox isnt a big job

A run up to Sheerness docks, and to unload I had the MF698 that was bought only a few weeks ago from a collective sale and an old JCB 3CX. In typical style, the Massey had a flat battery so I had to take the battery out of the JCB to jump the Massey - starting the JCB first of course to make sure that wasn't going to let me down too!!! Also, it was chucking it down! Just what you want when you have been on the road since 4.30am...

DSCN0430.jpg

Just a shot of how space is maximised for deck cargo. It is measured on length by width by maximum height. So a flat bed lorry costs the same to ship unladen as it does with it's own cargo, providing it does not exceed the height of the cab. So here, an engine and two cars get shipped within the limits of the lorry's dimensions. It is also common to see a vehicle strapped onto a tractor units 5th wheel in the same manner.

DSCN0431.jpg

A CAT fuel bowser..... 9000 gallon fuel bowser at that. Wouldn't want to fill that one up with white!!

DSCN0432.jpg

From here it was on up to Wymondham in Norfolk to pick up a 590 (with 690 front end and 4wd front axle) and a 2640 4wd turbo. Making up the load were the farmers Kuhn and Lely 4m power harrows. He also had another 590 4wd there which looked very, very tidy but she was still very much in service with a front tank and rear 24m sprayer. His prime mover was an equally tidy 2680 which pulled a 4f Kverneland plough and a 4m power harrow. He said they wouldn't be leaving the farm before him!!

DSCN0433.jpg

DSCN0438.jpg

Another dock run, the front lorry for Sheerness and the rear for Tilbury, then home empty. Easy!

IMAG0753.jpg

Them we Fiats are great i use to cart silage with one it was a 88-94 Turbo it was a great little puller 10ton marshall trailer on some very steep land

That 3125 dosnt seem to be in bad shape some TLC and it would be fine hope the gearbox isnt a big job

What horsepower would that have been, Bob?

great updates, love the cattle pictures. the two old masseys - were they scrapped or gone to a very keen restorer?

They'll be parked in the yard awaiting the workshop, Chris. Both will be stripped back to the castings and completely rebuilt and then sold as 're-manufactured' Massey Fergusons. This makes up the large majority of what the business is all about, being sold primarily to countries on the African continent,

And the last update, having practised with my new camera I dare say and looking forward to getting back in the seat after a week off!!

A trip down to Wessex Sale at Shaftesbury to unload a Welgar round baler, a new twin drum mower, some wheels and tyres and various MF spares.

DSCN0435.jpg

Couldn't resist the old '88/'89 plated Scania 450 V8, just after taking this pic it was unloaded and the driver swung her around and headed out. I'm sure he pulled away in the highest gear he could just to get the engine to growl lazily. B) Not the tidiest of examples admittedly but nice all the same to see one out working,

DSCN0434.jpg

Oh and even Two Jags was there!

DSCN0437.jpg

That's all for now!

I love it, I am fortunate to he doing exactly what I wanted to do when I was a child and I think the people who can say that nowadays must be fewer and fewer. Only one other line of work interested me and that was to ba a driver in the Royal Logistic Corp.

The most modern stuff I see in this job is the sort of kit that was around when I was just getting out to work, the 40 series Fords, 61 series Masseys and so on. I still get to use newer kit in my other job too so to be around such a wide range of tractors and machinery and to be on the lorries too, it's perfect I have to say!! :)

Thanks for looking by :)

Interesting update, and great photos Tris, really like the one of the fiat + roller, whats happened to the weather since then.

St Buryan - thats real "down west" you got out unscathed then.

Archived