been getting some pics of camera ,job back in the summer

100_2098.jpg

100_2099.jpg

nice bit of concrete round the silage pits to catch effluent run off

100_2104.jpg

100_2107.jpg

100_2108.jpg

100_2110.jpg

there is another span gone up since these where taken the tractor with the feeder does not go in the buildings at all all cows are feed on outside of buildings so the driver does not open any gates and does not get any slurry on its wheels so the farm stays cleaner and does not take slurry back to the silage clamps on its wheels seems to work well

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the farm jordan run around 250 cows at the moment but there are cubicles for 400, hundred in each shed but be a couple of years beforw they get to that number ,do get some nice jobs jordan starting at plumpton next to unclefergus tommorow big 350 cow shed gone up there i will get some pics  ;)

it takes up some room doing it that way sean , the aera behind the concrete mixer which is soil in pic has been grass seeded but is just there to look nice the cows all walk to and fro parlour under the span s at bottom of pic , the walls on silage pits have been coated in resin and sealed no air leaks through them and instead of large pits they have gone for smaller ones so they can keep different grades of silage separate .they have thought about the design , look at that sky in last pic would have liked that this week ;)

thanks tris the power float belongs to the concrete finishers they had three on the clamp floors synchronised floating the floor was like marble finish ,the smoother the better , the resin was applied with rollers tris ,they trying no side sheets tris it is just a trial been away so have not seen the results

Ah I see, you didn't fancy a quick spin when they had their backs turned then?! :D

interesting with the resin, it will certainly stop any fluid finding its way out of any joints but any scraping with the bucket or a block cutter will ruin it I'd have thought?

i would gouge holes in it tris im alright on the tamp but leave that to them , they dont leave it long before they are out on it ,

i should think you are right tris , it is all a trial i think they spend so much on the sheeting and now they have to get rid of the sheet some ends up in the troughs so manager thought he would try something different

few pics from plumpton college new cubicles for 351 with slats and slurry storage underneath plus out of parlour feeders

100_2185.jpg

100_2184.jpg

100_2187.jpg

100_2186.jpg

100_2191.jpg

the cubicles in this unit are the first in the country made by IAE the cows seem to have a nice lot of room

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

fantastic to see all this nice big shiny steel and clean concrete going around...........very different to mine !!!!! you certainly get to see some top spec forward thinking units...... theres a big dairy round here, where I got the cubicles off when they bought the other farm, well they have a massive silage pit.they have 4 or 5 actually but one biggie.my mate helps them with the silage and he says a big percentage  of the silage is spoilt, its too big they wanted two loadalls working on it , its earth bank as these are still allowed in scotland they rip the side sheets all to hell I still know farms who dont side sheet sleeper built pits  :of .anyway mu point was on you saying the big farm had gone for smaller pits , well mate says he told them the big pit was too wide and to stick a centre wall in supposing both sides were filled at the same time with one loadall on each side it had to be better but they said no. They have just recently got a new dairy manager he came from way down south somewhere from 2000 cows to come up to sort these guys out and I have heard he has already told them for next year they WILL adapt that big pit into 2 smaller ones........seems to be the way to go .bear in mind Id say they will cut somewhere near 1000 acres of first cut,600 2nd cut and  they will still have 400 acres 3rd cut  as well as  250 acres wholecrop, so they need a huge clamp area.

thank you again graham

• 4 months later...

have not put anything in here for a few weeks , started putting a parlour in all new and shinney just down the road from unclefergus  farm ,

100_2276.jpg

100_2277.jpg

100_2286.jpg

some of the steelwork the parlour is stallwork for 40x40 but we are only putting milking units on 36 ,the others will be put on later as the herd grows

some pics of cow housing

100_2280.jpg

100_2279.jpg

100_2278.jpg

a few more

100_2281.jpg

wish my van was as quick as the RS

100_2282.jpg

new calve house with feed store on the end

100_2284.jpg

small area ready for concrete which feed silos will sit on and milk silo also

100_2285.jpg

this area is cow exit area  from parlour it has been concreted now. used the concrete with firbes in so no reinforcement mesh needed as we will core drill holes through it to take the cow handling equipment ,automactic footbaths segregation gates  AI race and weigh scales will get some more pics later

That is great looking barn. Like the feed barrier that is / ( don't now the right word for it.)

It looks the cow has a more normal postion to eat. I don't understand why they build this big herringbone parlour?

It take some time when all cows are trough.

texas

blimey, tris said you had been busy mate, thats a hell of a parlour , amazing when you consider according to the local news wednesday night every day 2 dairy farmers leave the trade ,yet cattle sales and demand have never been higer, prices are good, makes you wonder

Small farms, Sean. This is the place which will keep dairy going in the UK from now on. Smashing modern sheds, Graham. Do you guys do the planning and the design too or work to plans handed to you from someone else? Looks like a big old place - one like this going up near Pewsey but the name escapes at the moment.

i dont know tris, the bit had the cattle auctions on, and there was a farmer from that way, bought down his whole stock, overnight something like 25 lorrys worth if not more, as exeter was the only place big enough to handle that many cattle in one go, big farm by the sounds of it, not prepared to invest anymore money ,as they were loosing money hand over fist , was an award winning herd to

some of the units are designed by ourself , some by the parlour manufacturer,this one we put them in contact with a design firm that we have worked with before ,the building firm doing this one have all polish labour that live on site we just doing the parlour and handling system we have been on another job doing the buildings there i will get some pics having a few days off at moment ,we know the farm you are talking about sean they farmed just on outskirts of brighton houses all around more money in houses than cows ,we have a few farms that have given up dairyand take the cows to the buyers far more sure of a sale lot more dairy farms your way than this but still a shame to see end this way many years of work gone

i dont know tris, the bit had the cattle auctions on, and there was a farmer from that way, bought down his whole stock, overnight something like 25 lorrys worth if not more, as exeter was the only place big enough to handle that many cattle in one go, big farm by the sounds of it, not prepared to invest anymore money ,as they were loosing money hand over fist , was an award winning herd to

i heard it was over 800 cows sean , & all done with their own rearers & gene pool.

Archived