Cullies Farm

smallclaas

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments folks  ;)

looks very good garrett pulled many of them out of silos many times look forward to seeing the silo finished will you have an elevator feeding system as well garrett

Just going to leave it with the unloader no elevator, the one I'm working from used to just feed out on the yard and a loader lifted it and hauled it to the cattle.

Got a bit done this evening on the towersilo, first coat of paint and added the access panels to the side. I'm going to make the cone shaped roof by layering paper on the roof structure. Then add the access ladders and fill pipe on the side.

post-77-132639092205_thumb.jpg

post-77-132639092213_thumb.jpg

Here's just a pic to remind you of what I'm making. I know of 6 of these silos in my area, one has been demolished about 2 years ago the others are no longer used. There a throwback from the 70s and early 80s when the handiest way to store and feed  silage to cattle was with one of these. I the pic this is the biggest one that I know of around here, it's about 60 feet high and no longer used. The smallest  one I know of, is about 20 feet high and is used to store concentrates next to a modern parlour.

post-77-132639092217_thumb.jpg

i know of two down this way to garrett, simplex ones, dark green, always wondered whatthe extra bits on top where as silos ike that are rare down here anyway

Sean the two pipes at the top used to be joined by a junction box with a switch inside to divert the grass into which ever pipe for filling. The grass was blown up a pipe from base and gravity did the rest packing it in. The inside is glass lined to seal it and air filled bags are fixed to the roof to provide the top seal. There supposed to be a great way to ensile maize silage keeping it better than a concrete pit.

almost like grain blowing but with grass eh, think i know of one up suffolk way to, old dairy farm, not as big as these ones down here or yours, ones down cornwall do very well as mobile phone masts to, seeing as they are on top of a valley, but also hiddern buy trees arround them where they sit part way down,

nice work garret  i know of lots of these towers still standing , but none are in use, i wonder why they were all the in thing to use , then after a few years the system was out of favour, apart from silage pits were a faster option

was it gav that built the silo fill elvator & blower ?

nice work garret  i know of lots of these towers still standing , but none are in use, i wonder why they were all the in thing to use , then after a few years the system was out of favour, apart from silage pits were a faster option

was it gav that built the silo fill elvator & blower ?

The pit is faster to fill, a modern SPFH would just cause a bottle neck at the silo, they were great for unloading forage wagons into, also they were around long before the Diet feeding system that farmers use today. Alot of sheep farmers used them with the unloader combined with a conveyer feeding system which, was more or less turn on and forget.

They do conserve grass and maize alot better than concrete walled pits, there still very common in the USA. But here in the British Isles there great big dinasours.

Gavin made the ??????????? forgot the name for it but I still need to make a forage blower, NH make a few models still for the current market in the US, I want this to be part of a 70s display for my older Fords.

Got a bit more done on ths silo this evening, taken me a year or 2 to get back to this one, the pipe is now painted up and I've added the ladders and platforms, now just add the filling pipe and paint all up.

post-77-132639096964_thumb.jpg

post-77-13263909698_thumb.jpg

blimey g, thats just spot on, can see why them platforms are in the ladders to, wouldnt want to go up that in one hit, like our permastore one was, only did it once a year for the view, to much effort otherwise :D :D 

what a great job garrett all them bolts on the roof is this modeled on a bythorpe  or simplex garrett or another make you need them platforms when you have to take the fill pipe apart to beat the grass out when filling and they block , we service three on farm in wales garrett and he fills two at a time to keep up with the chopper very nice mate , my mate went up to suffolk about a 2 weeks ago to dig the unloader out on a tower silo that had got stuck in maize silage still a few used  ;) ;)look forward to your diorama of you had at filling it ;)

Thanks lads for the comments, love the gold star Barry, I'll print it out and stick it to the fridge in the kitchen for all to see  ;)

Graham, this silo is a strange one, I had a look at a few silos around here before planning this one, there all simplex, but the one I'm making has 3 doors one at each platform. it was the only one I came across that had doors up the side of it and any of the others had only 1 door at the base. It was also the biggest standing at nearly 70 feet.

Here's a few more progress pics, I still have the pipes to fit to the roof and ladder. I still have to make a forage blower. The red forage deck in the pic beside the 7000 was made by Gavin 2 years ago.

simplexa.jpg

simplexb.jpg

simplexc.jpg

Getting the hang of Photobucket now thanks Marky F  ;)

Here's a pic of a Forage blower, there fairly common in the US where silos are still all the rage, I think they fell out of favour here because the grass had to be dry to fill them quickly and well when do we ever have a dry silage season  :D

1070790-080711155546.jpg

Archived