Harvest Has Started........

Does that chop the entire crop then, as there is no output with a forager i.e. chopper or swather. :-\ ??? ???

It certainly looked that way to me........It seems to bull-doze the crop slightly more I noticed in places, than a combine but I think it must chop everything........

It certainly looked that way to me........It seems to bull-doze the crop slightly more I noticed in places, than a combine but I think it must chop everything........

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirmiming that. :)

fit like martin how are you long time no talk nice pics see andy isn't doing much with his tractor. they mixing that stuff with silage or just in the pit on its own

Not bad at all Peter, how about yourself? Not exactly a big strain on the 79 is it........It looked like they were just putting it straight in on its own mate, unless they had put some silage in previously........Was getting pretty full and they still had the majority of the field to go........

known as whole cropping isnt it???, the farm i stayed on in York last year used to do it :) :)

nice pics Mart, i guess we shall be seeing lots more soon ;D ;D

Cheers Ben........I think you're right about the whole-cropping, not something I'm used to up here........I'm sure there will be plenty more coming soon........I've a couple of videos of this lot to get on Youtube as well........

well i never knew they did that with barley ,something else i have lernt today, great pics mart i must say

Lads near us do it every year - a bit of a pain with a combine head as it can only be cut at 30% moisture so some near me have bought a special head which is actually built in the Forschitt plant and is fitted to both Case and Claas foragers  :)

The smell of this stuff is very sweet and definetly would wake you up on a cold winter's morning :D :D

The whole cropping thing is new to me. I saw it for the first time last year. In the last couple of days, a farmer adjacent to where I work, has been cutting oats. I've heard them working, but not seen what they are cutting it with.

I suppose it must be a more economical way of producing animal feed. It's probably worth more per ton like that, than what you could sell the ripened product for on the open market. I would like to see what the "Silaqe" looks and smells like when it has matured in the clamp. I hope it smells better than brewers grains.

I would be interested to know from someone familiar with this form of feed, who could tell us whether this is in fact something new, and the reasons and benefits of cropping in this way. I suppose farmers still grow cereal crops to maturity, as they probably still need straw for bedding

Ok experts, tell us all about it. My thanks in anticipation of your replies. Cheers Will.  ;):)

Quite popular round here with the bigger farmers - looks to me though like this guy is running a standard combine header up front  ??? Wholecrow headers usually have discs like a mower, not a finger bar like a combine  - for a faster intake of the crop. Could be why it was bulldozing Mart.

Quite popular round here with the bigger farmers - looks to me though like this guy is running a standard combine header up front  ??? Wholecrow headers usually have discs like a mower, not a finger bar like a combine  - for a faster intake of the crop. Could be why it was bulldozing Mart.

It certainly looked like a normal combine header to me Tris........I was quite surprised to see it to be honest........

Very nice phots :) :) :) Interesting to see some more, I saw my first on Tuesday :)

Cheers mate........