Corn harvest - South Devon

RichardJW1

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big load there to test out the County - good to see ye are rolling ;)

yes, we had a good go at it over the weekend......then this morning....rain!......so a maintenance day today

further up the valley you can see the carpark for the crowds that came down to see the Red Arrows......

2u95zbc.jpg

I have to say it's an impressive display.......certainly kept the pigeons off the cabbages for 25 minutes  ;D

345o7iw.jpg

dfg2nt.jpg

dzc6jo.jpg

2hzpfec.jpg

xe4oz7.jpg

29qia6d.jpg

21bspox.jpg

here rich you have got pikeys on your top filed, get them gates sorted :D :D

had great weather this weekend aint we, did you get a fair bit cut??? must say with the nh and countys working one side, and the red arrows above i know what way i would be looking thats for sure

here rich you have got pikeys on your top filed, get them gates sorted :D :D

had great weather this weekend aint we, did you get a fair bit cut??? must say with the nh and countys working one side, and the red arrows above i know what way i would be looking thats for sure

;D ;D yes, about 300 cars  :o there was 1 x 09 Audi left in the field this morning and we were tempted to go up and start ploughing  ;D ;D ;D

we managed to rattle on and give it a good hit....its surprising how the corn is really going over now....the ears are pretty low and if you don't keep the header down you lose a lot of full heads

really?......small world......what part of the world are you in now......are you still in farming?

modbury now gardening now too.  i left farming about 15 yrs ago but have had the odd spell working at harvest time and a spell at riverford organic at totnes in the workshop. i use to  work for john tucker at bigbury on sea when i had the YTS trip to your farm . gordon case and peter hoskin were in my group

Some great scenery round your farm Richard. I can imagine what it must be like in summer though - its bad enough up here at times.

The Countys look really well and it's good to see them being worked properly (except for lifting two bales  ;D)

Some great scenery round your farm Richard. I can imagine what it must be like in summer though - its bad enough up here at times.

The Countys look really well and it's good to see them being worked properly (except for lifting two bales  ;D)

Hiya JDC, yes, it's a wonderful part of the world down here.......but I am biased. ;) last weekend we had so many people/holiday-makers stop looking over the fence to watch the machines working.

Been a poor week weatherwise, moisture didn't drop below 17.5% so combine has been stood down - did a bit of maintenance, changed the variator belts & offloader drive belt as precautionary measures.

Sold some straw off the field so they sent in a big square baler to tie it up >

balingstraw.jpg

Also cleared away a load (30 loads, in fact :) ) of top soil left over from the Psycho-Path......

earth1.jpg

earth2.jpg

What a fantastic topic..........I've just read all eight pages of it. With the exception of the hills; the type of farming and the machinery used, is exactly my lottery dream.

As for using an 1164 (74?) carting two bales at a time........ what's the problem with that?  ;D Fer gawds sake.......... anyone who's driven a cabless 1164 on 14 x 30's will know that you don't want to rush a job like that. You try and make it last as long as possible.  ;)

Fantastic pictures and a very well detailed account of your farming year. Some of the very old pictures brought back some memories for me. I can just about remember the arrival of the threshing machine as a five year old on the farm where I lived.  (Er....... 1957  :-[ )

Well done, greatly appreciated.  :) (Shame my stepdaughter doesn't still live in Dartmouth as I could have paid you a visit. )

thanks for all the kind words  :) :) :) :) :)

Must admit it's kind of a therapy for me, now working away from the farm and coming back to spend the harvest-time here.......you just can't 'buy' the atmos. the rush, the tension.....and wrapping up for the evening knowing you gave it your best shot.

The Al-fresco County is a '73 1004......first County I bought back in '97 off a local 60 acre beef farm......been there since '76 apparently......sit up there, pull the throttle back and look out  :o;D

Anyway, Sunday - brother cut the oats and I made a start ploughing

cuttingoatssunday.jpg

ploughingsunday1.jpg

ploughingsunday2.jpg

ploughingsunday3.jpg

then today we knocked another field of winter barley.....sold the straw off the field, neighbouring farmer came in and started baling and stacking - 7840 + AP 63 baler & 4230 + Farmhand loader

cuttingmonday.jpg

balingmonday.jpg

see what tomorrow brings........

nice steep feilds, you got there ,miss them working in cheshire... boring flat  land

yes.....it makes life interesting, brother was nervous about going down over the hill in case the back end came up, the problem that 'could' happen with climbing the hill is the higher side wheel starting to spin....no diff lock on these things.

In fact over the past 15 years two of our neighbours have tipped their combines over on the ground in the area

we use to put our foot on the higher side brake to stop the wheel spinning . but you do have to have your wits about when working steep ground , a friend of mine turned over a brand new baler a few days ago  £51,000 in a heap at the bottom  of the field , they say he was going to fast across the hill , good job the hitch on his mx went bang or the lot could of gone over,

we use to put our foot on the higher side brake to stop the wheel spinning . but you do have to have your wits about when working steep ground , a friend of mine turned over a brand new baler a few days ago  £51,000 in a heap at the bottom  of the field , they say he was going to fast across the hill , good job the hitch on his mx went bang or the lot could of gone over,

Ooops..... :o which side of Modbury?.....any clues as to who?

colin stallard is the chaps name, martins lad . not sure where it went over. i haven't seen him yet to take the mic yet . lucky being a contractor they had another baler in the yard. it took 4 days for another new one to turn up mind.

colin stallard is the chaps name, martins lad . not sure where it went over. i haven't seen him yet to take the mic yet . lucky being a contractor they had another baler in the yard. it took 4 days for another new one to turn up mind.

oh hell.....not good news....long as only pride got hurt that's all that matters

I know it's already been said here but ................................ ;)

Fantastic topic this one and I must say what a great eye for quality machinery with character you have  ;)

Awesome photos and I am begging you to update whenever you can  ;)

I know it's already been said here but ................................ ;)

Fantastic topic this one and I must say what a great eye for quality machinery with character you have  ;)

Awesome photos and I am begging you to update whenever you can  ;)

will give it my best shot  ;)