Corn harvest - South Devon

RichardJW1

Keep seeing this topic in my Unread Replies and hav't had the time worthy to sit here and look through properly.. . oh Gorden Bennet is that the time?!

Lovely photo's, you must have been quick with the camera or have 'shotgunners eye' to have been able to get such nice photo'sof the Red Arrows. As for the hill the combine is climbing..  . Jeeeeez!! Does it lose much over the back? Ploughing pics as good as they have ever been, soil looks like it gets a kind life down there.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep seeing this topic in my Unread Replies and hav't had the time worthy to sit here and look through properly.. . oh Gorden Bennet is that the time?!

Lovely photo's, you must have been quick with the camera or have 'shotgunners eye' to have been able to get such nice photo'sof the Red Arrows.

for those I used someones Canon Powershot G9 - I have to say I am seriously impressed with that camera for sheer quality of pictures

Ever had one of them days?......workshop now ressembles a Case dealership......the windscreen blew out on the 885 and the head gasket went on the 4230.....but got some ploughing done up until about 6:30.....so tomorrow's job will be on the spanners

ploughingfriday2.jpg

ploughingfriday.jpg

• 11 months later...

Hi Jack,

How long have you had your 860?.....have you got other older Massey tractors?

we've had it since new its been running today in rape

our tractor fleet is

te 20

massey 590

massey 3070

massey 3095

massey 6480

and a track marshall tm 135

and a john deere teleporter 

went past your place a couple of weeks back and thought you wouldnt be to far of cutting richard, great shots as always from the lovely south devon

Hiya Tractorman, good to hear from you...thanks for the kind words.

The place is full of tourists now, I just drove out through town there about 10am and it was heaving.......bit overcast today so have to wait for it to burn off before starting, mind you there was a tidy scat of rain during the night as well....anyway it is still pretty early, we're pretty much 'picked up' with the straw, other than an acre or so we want to do as small bales and the one behind the garage which we've sold 'off the field'

Richard,

Was driving past your place about 10 days ago. I was expecting this thread to start up again.

Spent more of my childhood than I care to remember fishing off the beaches at South Milton and Bantham. Some of the best Bass i have ever had.

Always remember looking foward to seeing the big wheeler County's in the area (late 1960's & 1970's) as we never saw such beasts in Somerset. Glad your keeping the local assocation alive.

• 9 months later...

Well 2011 has arrived and summer is on its way, we seem to have been treated to a "taster" of what hopefully will be a dry(ier) summer than the last 3.

So news on the farm is the County is now pensioned off and spends most of its time with its feet up as the new kid on the block takes over.

As you can see its in the form of a Maxxum 5130 (and a turbo sneaked in under the bonnet) which has all mod-cons, like a 4 speed powershift, a cab thats easy to get in and out of, air conditioning and a decent turning lock....blah blah blah....making the 1174 more of a spectator sport than anything else.

Anyway here's a few pics of action this spring, ploughing down the strip-grazed turnips and picking up some early round bale silage.....

Case6.jpg

Case5.jpg

Case2-1.jpg

Case3.jpg

Case1.jpg

Case2.jpg

Case4.jpg

blimey rich , technology is really catching on down there isn't it  ;D ;D  you got a wireless in that thing as well ?

let me know what music you like as there's a bloke selling some country & western 8track cassettes down the market  :of  8)  :-;D ;D 

looks a good buy though , bulletproof engines & proper hydraulics ,, still many as prime movers on many dairy farms i visit. got some good days for pics as well  :) :)

you got it, MJB......a major step forward for us.

Brother put a better wireless in it after it arrived, it plays these cassette tape things that they used to sell in woolworths & in the bargain basket at NSS newsagents.....although I know for a fact he doesn't like C&W  :D :D :D

Seems the tractor came out of Southampton area, we're guessing it had been on something like a sprayer or potato harvester....having 3 spools (std was 2) and free-flow return fitted but surprisingly its only a 30km/h speed.....most folks who went to the bother of turbos and extra hyds I would have thought would have put in the two 40k gears.....it was another deciding factor because it sort of pointed to the fact that it had perhaps more field work than road work & brakes & diffs could be a problem in that application

Yes very nice indeed, Richard. We had 5140's at college and they were the first powershift tractors I ever drove - loved them. All apart from tipping in sheds anyway . . . bloody daft place to put an air con unit!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Nice tidy digger too  8)

Thanks Tris. So far so good with the Maxxum, so I'm told by the "nut" behind the wheel  ;)

We put an additional fuel filter with a water seperator in the supply line as an insurance because this model seems to only have one main fuel filter as standard which doubles as the primary & secondary.....as opposed to the 40s & 20s which had two.

Delphi "disposable" fuel pumps don't take kindly to dirt or water.

Funny you should say about the digger, he'd been using it for cleaning out cattle pens before this and also some ditching......so was in a helluva mess, when I saw the picture first I had to do a double-take to see if it was the same one.

you got it, MJB......a major step forward for us.

Brother put a better wireless in it after it arrived, it plays these cassette tape things that they used to sell in woolworths & in the bargain basket at NSS newsagents.....although I know for a fact he doesn't like C&W  :D :D :D

Seems the tractor came out of Southampton area, we're guessing it had been on something like a sprayer or potato harvester....having 3 spools (std was 2) and free-flow return fitted but surprisingly its only a 30km/h speed.....most folks who went to the bother of turbos and extra hyds I would have thought would have put in the two 40k gears.....it was another deciding factor because it sort of pointed to the fact that it had perhaps more field work than road work & brakes & diffs could be a problem in that application

well at leats you know she hasn't been completely beasted  in the past , which probably points to how good condition she's in now. chap at castle cary has one & although it's not the prime mover any more he still wont sell his , it's his favourite , although the rest of the tractors are now all Fendt

Sad to see the County being retired, I hope it will be brought and used in anger from time to time.

Hi EuroDeere, yes, will have to find something to stretch its legs with sometime.

It spent a while on trailer work last spring

site2.jpg

site.jpg

earth1-1.jpg

March12th2010001.jpg

newtume.jpg

so a new toy for me to look out for eh, will be a while before i do see it mind, i am constantly in cornwall now doing this new stuff for broadband

Hiya Tractorman, hope all is well.

Funny you should say about broadband, the junction box on one of our poles in the lane is playing up again, the internet works but they can't call in or out. How do we get someone out sharpish to sort it?

just report it as a fault, to be honest it sounds like its gone 1 leg dis, weird as it sounds broadband will work on half the line unlike a voice call, not quiet sure how, its baffeled most of us, been a bit of the old thunder round to so may be more than just you out

just noticed in one of the pics of the ford there what seems to be a small tractor cab showing, is this a old picture or a old tractor we havnt seen yet??