UH La Campagne 21 T Trailer

PDH

That would make a lovely grain trailer behind the new Britains Ford 7600, however, I wouldn't like to be tipping silage with it.

Silage tends to stick in the trailer until the trailer is fully tipped. With a short wheelbase like that all the weight of the silage would be sitting on the pivot point three feet behind the rear axle - and the back of the tractor would be lifted up off the ground.

If you've ever had the drawbar of a silage trailer join you in the cab you'll understand why silage trailers always have the axle as far back as possible.

A short wheelbase is ideal for grain haulage as it balances the load better and doesn't make the tractor hop as much on the (generally longer) road journeys. Grain flows easily out of a trailer, so you can generally get most of it out without having to tip too high, so the overhang doesn't become an issue.

That would make a lovely grain trailer behind the new Britains Ford 7600, however, I wouldn't like to be tipping silage with it.

Silage tends to stick in the trailer until the trailer is fully tipped. With a short wheelbase like that all the weight of the silage would be sitting on the pivot point three feet behind the rear axle - and the back of the tractor would be lifted up off the ground.

If you've ever had the drawbar of a silage trailer join you in the cab you'll understand why silage trailers always have the axle as far back as possible.

A short wheelbase is ideal for grain haulage as it balances the load better and doesn't make the tractor hop as much on the (generally longer) road journeys. Grain flows easily out of a trailer, so you can generally get most of it out without having to tip too high, so the overhang doesn't become an issue.

It'll do for maize Stan ;)

Tomorrow I'll discuss the reason why silage trailers have tapered sides.  ;)

Is it so as the grass stays in the trailer  :P

Do we know when Toptractor will have them.....and if there will be a dealer box version?

It'll do for maize Stan ;)

Cue a Cavan joke!  :D

anyways, the reason for the taper: Most, if not all, silage trailers are tapered - the back of the trailer is about 6 inches wider than the front. The reason for this is that it reduces the friction between the (sticky) load of silage and the sides of the trailer allowing the silage to fall straight out once the surface tension between the grass and the sides has broken.

-

/  \

/    \

It doesn't always work, of course!

I can think of a few occasions where I've had a silage trailer tipped up fully and the grass has refused to fall out of the trailer. It gets scary when you are reversing back for a third attempt to dislodge it - that's when you begin to get paranoid about the ring hitch and whether it is going to break, enabling the drawbar to join you in the cab  :o