Two Sister?s Farm

Tellarian

A further selection of photos taken while checking the layout over prior to an exhibition. They were taken in our conservatory which is ideal as it gives a bright all round light. With a small layout like this now that I have a decent camera taking pictures adds another dimension to modelling.

IMG_1370.jpg

Whilst checking the layout over I was ably assisted by one of the two sisters the layout is named after. This is Amy who quickly got bored and went to sleep on the black bin liner that covers the fiddle yard and under the layout cover itself.

IMG_1466.jpg

Looking almost like an abstract painting a view looking down from the tree on the jeep trailer dumped next to the workshop.
In fact some of the rusty junk helps to secure the tree to the baseboard.

Peter M

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMG_1469.jpg

Perhaps not the prettiest young lady but she is busy looking for eggs and feeding the chickens that run round loose in the yard. Both the girl and the chickens are Britain's models that have had their bases removed and repainted.

IMG_1470.jpg

The cows, re-painted Jerseys, and the sheep dog are Britain's but the man herding the cows into milking is a modified Tamiya German soldier. I paint the whole figure black first then lightly add the other colours over the black base, finishing off with thin washes of acrylics.

Peter M

On Sunday, July 07, 2013 at 9:12 AM, bROADOAK said:

Sadly my old PC died a couple of weeks ago so I have had to get a replacement. Among the features I didn't have before was the option to change colour photos to black and white or sepia. The new PC has this option so I thought I would give it a try.

I thought it would give a few of my pictures a sort of period look. With such a small layout there is not a lot more you can do. Overall I think I prefer the sepia look it makes the models look more realistic.

dscf0099sh.jpg

dscf0200s.jpg

misc063.jpg

misc065_Copy.jpg

rushden11016.jpg

Peter

These are awesome shots..The men are usually give aways but these figures are superb

Yes I rather like the black and white photos they give a period feel. I must do some more.

IMG_1471.jpg

This type of locomotive is similar to the real locomotives that worked on the large Nocton Estate that the model is loosely based on.

IMG_1472.jpg

The GMC rail truck catches the last of the sun as it rolls into the yard at the end of the day.

Peter M

IMG_0040.jpg

A view looking down the yard towards the engine shed, the GMC rail truck is just setting off for a day's work in the fields. The chicken is looking for scraps 
under the tree.

IMG_1359.jpg

The Opel is receiving some attention in the engine shed while the GMC truck starts up in readiness for a days work.

IMG_1361.jpg

The Ruston diesel pushing a small Sidelines four wheeled wagon. This model is very similar to some of the wagons used on the Nocton estate railway.

IMG_1367.jpg

A contrast in fronts, three different shunters used to do the main line work. I say main line it was a track that went all round the fields and temporary track was laid into the fields at harvesting time.
On the Nocton Estate for instance on its 7800 acres there was almost 23 miles of single track. There was also track used for a large number of sidings and temporary track that brought the total to around 35 miles.

Peter M

IMG_1373.jpg

The yard foreman setting off for the fields with some urgently needed spare part.

IMG_1374.jpg

Fordson E1A being checked over.

IMG_1376.jpg

Porter steam loco helping out during harvest time.

IMG_1377.jpg

Chevy truck pushing a wooden side tipper, used to muck out pig sties.

IMG_1460.jpg

A view inside the low relief engine shed.

Peter M

IMG_1478.jpg

Some bales of straw which will be delivered to the extensive pig sties by the Davenport, on the Nocton estate a two foot gauge track ran down the centre of the pig sties. 
This modified Bachmann On30 loco although it only has four wheels runs superbly over the dead frog points.

IMG_1487.jpg

A birds eye view of the yard showing the very simple track layout.

IMG_1492.jpg

A view taken standing under the bridge as a Simplex rumbles towards the camera as it sets off for another day in the fields.

Peter M

The black and white photos seemed to be popular so here are a few more.

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

These two photos show a modified Tamiya figure in overalls looking at the 
back of a Fordson 27n without a hydraulic lift ( a Scaledown model.)
Note the lubrication chart on the wall for a 27n

Peter M

IMG_1459.jpg

Another modified Tamiya figure from a tank crew looking at a 
Universal Hobbies Fordson Power Major.

IMG_1464.jpg

A slot racing mechanic with can about to refuel a Scaledown Fordson Standard.

IMG_1480.jpg

Looking down from the tree at two Scaledown Fordsons.

Peter M

A few more pictures I have found, taken when I first got the new camera and was testing it out.

IMG_0001.jpg

The wooden bodied Simplex is seen at rest outside the engine shed. The model 
is based on an actual locomotive that worked on the Fleet Light Railway, the farm was between Kings Lynn and Spalding.

IMG_0002.jpg

The Simplex is joined by Tilly, an ex army light pick up truck used for track 
maintenance work only.

IMG_0008.jpg

The wooden bodied Simplex seen rumbling along past the water tower.

Peter M

IMG_0009.jpg

The Britain's milk maid and the garden cold frame.

IMG_0020.jpg

The Simplex with a flat bed bogie wagon, similar to the ex first world war
rolling stock used on the Nocton Estate.

IMG_1462.jpg

Side lines flat bed wagon kit, and the estate owner's brother in the duffle coat, watching a man checking the growing tomatoes.

Peter M

I was given a Concor American switcher to use as power for one of my special shunters down on the farm. I decided to cheat with the wheel arrangement and call it a 2-4-2. I fancied something built in the farm workshop so thought a wooden body would make a believable alternative to metal.
I have made it up as I've gone along and now it is finished I'm quite pleased with its rustic look. The doors actually open using vertical hinges in the door and frame. The holes in the frame at the bottom of the door were done using a hot pin heated in a blow torch. It was not possible to get my pin vise drill close enough to do the job. All a bit of a bodge but it worked.
Here is a selection of pictures of the device in the yard at Two Sisters.

IMG_1742.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

Peter M

The black and white pictures really give that feel of age and the close ups could easily be shots of real life. For a small layout the detail is superb and with each picture there's still more detail to see. Would like to see this in the flesh one day

I had a wander round down the farm and took a couple of pictures of the new wooden shunter's crew. There are two of them the driver and his young son. It reminds me of when I was a lad going in to work with my dad on a Saturday morning.
I can't run the loco with the doors fully open as there is not enough clearance with the bride supporting wall. I can run with them slightly open though giving the onlooker a glimpse, it is the sort of thing children like to look at while at shows.

IMG_1768.jpg

IMG_1767.jpg

Peter M

A few pictures taken at Beacon-Rail Tring 2015 exhibition on 11th April, an enjoyable small show where we were the only narrow gauge exhibit.

IMG_1855.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg

IMG_1857.jpg

Three views of the wooden shunter returning from the fields with a worn out worker asleep on the

flat wagon.

Peter M

IMG_1858.jpg

Fordson Standard, reminds me of when I was a lad
the local farm had two of these, most drivers 
seemed to stand up whilst driving.

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg

A couple of views looking down from the tree with the yellow shunter
passing with a load of straw bales.

Peter M

I have been given a disc of photographs taken by my fellow
operator Andy Knott some years ago,
here are a few hopefully not seen before.

TSF_024.jpg

Fordson E1A Power Major

3_Sisters_004.jpg

A brace of Fordsons.

Belgium09_056.jpg

The Davenport shunter before a few bit were added to customise it.

Belgium09_060.jpg

Low relief engine shed and wooden  storage barn.

Belgium09_079.jpg

The Ruston shunter with Siku 1/32 scale tractor driver, who looks a bit on the large side to me.

Peter M

Belgium09_080.jpg

The Massey Ferguson 35x getting some attention, she is used mainly for light work around the yard.

Exihibit_028.jpg

Jan11_039.jpg

Scratch built 40 hp Simplex type loco, similar to the ones really used 
on the Nocton Farm Estate. The driver sits sideways in the loco.

Peter M

Archived