Two Sister?s Farm

Tellarian

P1010001-3.jpg

P1010002-2.jpgThe gas producer has also been through the shops for a little work to the front end in the form of a fender. Due to the distance from the front bogie fitting a KD coupler was not a practical idea. It had one originally but it did not work very well in practice. However I fitted one to the rear along with its attendant mounting. I also added a petrol tank as far from the gas generator as was practicable, which is under the front nearside wing. The vehicles is dual fuelled, the engine producing less power when running on gas. It is started on petrol then run on gas once the engine has warmed up.

A number applied to the rear bodywork to add a bit of colour has been added as well.

This model has a sealed can motor, so in this case it was just a lube job on the bearings at either end of the motor and the gears and wheel bearings on the bogies.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The deck of the bogie flat car I re-painted an industrial green colour, instead of the red oxide it was originally, mainly to brighten it up.

I made a load of sacks of wheat individually from soft wood, all hidden under a tarpaulin. The effect I was trying to get by making individual sacks has not worked out as well as I had hoped. In fact I could have got away with a single block of wood covered with tissue paper. Also despite being under some weight when the glue was drying it has now decided to slightly bow. Ropes to secure the tarpaulin have been added since the photo was taken.

I added some more meaningless numbers to this wagon as well to make the wagon sides look a bit more interesting.

P1010018.jpgP1010019.jpg

To the weed killer wagon I have added a white star decal to the tank side along with a number to add a little visual interest. I also added a bottle jack and a bit more rope hanging on a hook on the side of the tool box .

Weed killer (sodium nitrate was rarely used on the real railways as it badly corroded the metal sleepers used on some sections of track. These had been bought second hand from the First World War military railways used in France at the end of the war.

P1010014-1.jpg

I have done a bit more work on a couple more members of my fleet of locomotives.

Firstly I added a KD coupler to the front of the quad gun tractor. So it is now able to shuffle wagons about the yard making it much more useful around the farm.

The model is powered by an early 3 pole Ringfield pancake type motor, which runs every bit as well as the later enclosed can and fly wheel motor now fitted. A bit of added weight in the body helps it track well .

The model is seen posing in the fiddle yard of my American HO switching layout.

P1010001-4.jpg

Thanks Tris, it is good to be back.

The other little modification was with regard to my little 0-4-2 Porter steam loco. It was a sort of “shall I, shan’t I “ decision, I really couldn’t make up my mind.

In the end decided to remove the rather large American style headlight mounted on the front of the smoke box. Having done so I’m glad did, not only does it make the little locomotive look more British but I think it improves the overall look of it as well.

It now rather looks like the 0-4-ST locomotive built by Steven Lewin, Dorset Foundry, Poole, Dorset in1863 to work at Seaham Harbour Durham.

P1010004-4.jpgP1010005-2.jpg

The old red bodied Simplex with the man riding on the bonnet has never looked quite right to me. So I have made a new body out of plasticard which is supposed to represent one made of wood panels with metal bracing strips. It is very loosely based on a device which is pictured in Stewart Squires excellent Lincolnshire Potato Railways book. The locomotive is seen pulling a train of wagons loaded with pea vines.

The body on mine is lower to clear the bridge into the fiddle yard. The one in the book is taller and looks as if you could stand up on the footplate, mine caters for a seated driver only.

In the first picture showing the near side of the Simplex, the driver sits sideways behind the engine cover. The wooden body offers a bit of protection from the elements, a bit of a luxury in those days.

P1010008-4.jpg

This picture shows the off side of the Simplex. It shows the sideways mounted radiator and a canvas blind behind which the driver sits facing outwards.

In fact in the model there is no driver figure as the space is all taken up by a vertical electric motor which powers it.

P1010004-5.jpg

The load on the four wheeled wagon is made of odds and ends from my scrap box and makes an interesting change from sacks of potatoes or wheat. The 6 cylinder engine was left over from the 6x6 GMC kit made by Tamiya.

In the background the man in the duffle coat is seeing how the tomatoes are coming on in the greenhouse.

P1010009-4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sadly my old PC died a couple of weeks ago so I have had to get a replacement. Among the features I didn't have before was the option to change colour photos to black and white or sepia. The new PC has this option so I thought I would give it a try.

I thought it would give a few of my pictures a sort of period look. With such a small layout there is not a lot more you can do. Overall I think I prefer the sepia look it makes the models look more realistic.

dscf0099sh.jpg

dscf0200s.jpg

misc063.jpg

misc065_Copy.jpg

rushden11016.jpg

Peter

Thanks gentlemen I'm glad you approve.

The two characters on the locomotive footplate are in fact 1/35 scale military figures made by Tamiya. I have civilianised them with a sharp knife and a fine file. They are painted with acrylics then washed over with thin washes of darker colours to show up the details better. When totally dry I lightly flick over them with a dry brush of very light grey, this shows up the highlights and gives the figures a more three dimentional look.

I think the figures were the personel for a German second world war field kitchen.

The coloured picture below shows what they really look like.

rushden11016.jpg

O love the close up of the Fordson too, especially as you can see the poster of a tractor in the background in the workshop. The oldy worldy photos bring this to life even better, the detail is picked out so well.

Thanks for your interest Tris.

I must say I am rather pleased with the sepia pictures as you rightly say they look more oldy worldy.

I think I will do a few more.

The tractor poster on the wall is a much reduced copy of the lubrication chart for The Fordson Major E27N, my all time favourite tractor I think. Although I do like the Fordson Power Major E1A and the Ford 7600 as well.

Let's face if it's a tractor it's alright although to me modern stuff tends to look a little samey.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

2013 has not been a good year for electronic devices for me. Firstly my old computer died after some eight years use, then the screen went down and now my wife's compact camera has cried enough also. Although it has taken many images over the last thirteen years so I shouldn't complain really I suppose.

I have never owned a digital camera, I always borrowed the one belonging to my wife in the past. With that no longer working I have had to lash out on a device of my own.
These are a few images I have taken with the new camera while testing the layout and stock in readiness for a couple of exhibitions coming up soon.

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_test_for_image.jpg

a100.jpg

Peter M

I must admit I am very pleased with the Camera, it is a compact Canon and was on offer at half price. Its performance when used for close ups seems especially good. The image files are very large and I was concerned about reducing them on my pc so that I could post the photographs.

So here are a few more trial pictures.

a101.jpg

The area under the rear wheel arch looked a little bare on the Quad so I added a small air tank and its associated piping on the offside. On the near side I added a small wooden toolbox.

The men outside the workshop put me in mind of a formula one team waiting for their car to pit for tyres and re-fuelling.

IMG_0022_640x427.jpg

The men now have something to do checking over the two tractors before they set off for a days work.

IMG_0023_640x406.jpg

A Bachmann V tipper chassis and a rudimentary wooden body made of plasticard with an engine and other items piled on it to be repaired in the workshop.

IMG_0024_640x427.jpg

It's Sunday morning and a quiet period in the yard, with the wooden bodied Simplex and Tilly the little van resting between assignments.

Peter M

Archived