Two Sister?s Farm

Tellarian

Mandy that show is in December on the 4th.

Are you going to browse or do you have a stand?

Thanks (I meant December  ::):-[ ). I've never met some of the guys I work with, so it's a good opportunity, plus I want to source new modellers and ideas. I only sell a small selection of 1:32 military at the moment, so too early to have a stand yet :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Help please guys and gals,

A friend of mine in Canada is making a farm model set in the fens in the 1970’s to 1980’s can you advise what tractors would be appropriate for that period. They need to be models that are readily available.

Many thanks for your help.

Peter

Help please guys and gals,

A friend of mine in Canada is making a farm model set in the fens in the 1970’s to 1980’s can you advise what tractors would be appropriate for that period. They need to be models that are readily available.

Many thanks for your help.

Peter

Wish him well from me as I am a Brit in Canada and it is hard to get anything in this field (pardon the pun  :laugh: ) that is British related, unless you ship it over and that can get expensive.

Peter!!!!!!!!

I have missed you and the reawakening of this topic.  You are a real inspiration and I just love Two Sister's.

So when is this show in Newbury?  Dates please as I SHALL BE THERE - I can have no excuse as Newbury is only 14 miles from me.  You do not need a passport, by the way.  If anyone gives you any trouble at the border just tell them you are my friend :police:

Hi Sue, I’ve missed you to!!!

With regard to the Newbury show I still don’t have a definite date I’m afraid, all I know is it will be either 2011 or 2012. Model railway clubs tend to be run by committees so decisions are often rather long winded. As soon as I have a date I will post it.

I am hoping Tris will be able to make it as well.

I am fully retired now so can devote more time to the modelling, apart from the summer when I still do a bit at Rockingham Raceway.

Kind regards

Peter

A few more pictures that I have not posted before of the latest rail truck.  It is an ex-army Canadian Ford quad gun tractor. It runs on an early Bachmann Brill trolley with a ringfield type motor. I bought the model at a local market for a fiver on a stall selling all sorts of toys. The chassis had to be butchered to fit the short wheelbase body by cutting a length out and butt joining it and adding some more weight in the un powered front truck that also collects current to improve its tracking.

The model is photographed on the joining section of the HO switching layout.

iaw0610a001.jpg

A three quarter view of the front of the little quad. As the model of Two Sister’s is supposed to be summer the canvas cover on the roof is rolled back showing the driver in his shorts. Jerry cans, ropes, lower footboards and a tool box have been added to give the model a little more character.

When I first had the idea of using road vehicles modified to run on rails this body shape was the one I was thinking of. Unfortunately at the time I started building the project the model was not available, so when I found out Tamiya had re-introduced it I managed to order one from my local shop.

iaw0610a002.jpg

A rear view showing a steel hawser from an electric winch with a loop for emergency towing emerging from its roller guides. The rope can be used as an alternative. The quad has six seats so is used to take workers out to the fields. A large box inside the back of the vehicle actually covers the power truck but on the model is supposed to cover the electric winch mechanism, an early example of Health and Safety perhaps.

The rolled canvas is made from kitchen towel soaked in pva glue then allowed to dry. It is then painted with acrylics and when that is dry a wash of dark grey put on. When this is dry it is flicked over with a very light grey using a dry brush.

iaw0610a004.jpg

Ip1010007a.jpg mentioned the Bachmann Brill Trolley and I’ve taken a few photographs to illustrate its size and how useful it is. The chassis itself is a flat piece of plastic so is easily shortened or lengthened.

The first pictures show the old ring field type motor which I used to power the Quad having shortened it so that it now measures 109 mm long overall.

Here are a couple of views of it and one with the body showing how it fits together using a couple of small screws in the centre.

p1010005l.jpg

p1010021xv.jpgp1010020fe.jpg

The Davenport arrives in the yard pushing a wagon with an engine on it that has come in for some much needed attention in the work shop. The modifications to the little locomotive can clearly be seen and make it look a little different to the norm. It has also now had a little more weathering applied. The engine and other items on the wagon are left over bits from the truck conversions.

Later in the day the Simplex type loco arrives pushing a minimal train. The man hitching a ride on the engine cover is a 1/32 scale Siku tractor driver. He is made of a flexible hard plastic that is not easy to cut or glue. I have moved both his arms down slightly by making cuts at the shoulder joint then repositioning the arms. I found super glue worked by making several small applications and keeping the joint under pressure. Paint then hid the join.

p1010023vi.jpg

One evening the Quad arrives from the fields having picked up the tractor drivers.

The seated figure in front of the coal stage is another ex military character with a tiny Labrador puppy inside his shirt.

The children like this when counting how many animals there are on the model. It keeps them occupied while the adults watch the trains.

p1010026es.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

iaw181110007.jpg

I have never been very happy with the appearance of either the Porter 0-4-2 locomotive or the wooden side tippers. They are all Bachmann ON30 scale models, the locomotive has been modified slightly to make it look more 1/32 scale but the wagons have not.

I wanted them to have a rather neglected look about them but not too rusty or decrepit as they are all still used.

With the side tippers I basically painted the wooden sections a variegated pale greys and then applied thin washes of black to represent unpainted wood. The iron work being picked out in various rust shades.

With the locomotive it was washes of rust colours over the metalwork and the same treatment as the wagons with the woodwork.

I am now more pleased with their appearance, I think they look a little more interesting than they originally did.

The photographs were taken on my HO scale switching layout.

Peter

iaw181110001.jpg

iaw181110002.jpg

[img height=348 width=624]http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/6324/iaw181110005.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Making her debut on Sunday at Barton le Cley, this is Tilly, the latest addition to the farm’s growing fleet of unusual vehicles. It is an ex Second World War 10 HP light utility car with a pick up body. She is used for track maintenance purposes only and not general haulage.

The kit was made by Tamiya and is rather delicate with the clear parts being a poor fit. I have left the bonnet off to show the details in the engine bay, as it seemed a pity to hide them.

I made a false chassis to attach and locate the body to the power unit which is from an HO scale Bachmann HI-rail track maintenance van. The body has a solid block of plasticard at the back of the false chassis which was drilled and tapped. One long screw then holds the two together. It has little out rider wheels which also pick up current. I added extra weight in any place I could to help it track better.

p1010008e.jpg

p1010017ko.jpg

Peter

Archived