24 yrd old girl in need of some attenton

IH885XLMAN

What do u mean buy that! >:(There a grand tractor what i cant understand is why the likes of the ford 7000 make so much money there scrap!a 5000 with a turbo is all they are horrible things to drive!The 1490 were a great all rounder with DBs turbo charged 83 hp engine it could be had new with either the hydra shift or 12F 4R gearbox.They were the first tractor around to have a sloped bonnet and curvy dezign!

The 1490 are a great machine for ploughing and road work row crop ect ect...

It sounds very cheap to me! ;)

What do u mean buy that! >:(There a grand tractor what i cant understand is why the likes of the ford 7000 make so much money there scrap!a 5000 with a turbo is all they are horrible things to drive!The 1490 were a great all rounder with DBs turbo charged 83 hp engine it could be had new with either the hydra shift or 12F 4R gearbox.They were the first tractor around to have a sloped bonnet and curvy dezign!

The 1490 are a great machine for ploughing and road work row crop ect ect...

It sounds very cheap to me! ;)

Sorry, as it's text, i don't get what your saying......is it aggessive (your saying DON'T buy it) or is it encouraging (your saying buy it)  Do you mean "What do you mean by that?"  or "What do you mean....you should buy that?"

I was anoyed buy the way it was pronounced as that rather than what its called a DB 1490.It wasent really aggresive yes i would encourage the buy there a much nicer machine to operate compared to the likes of a 5600 6600 7600! And are more relible. ;)

I only ask if she was a 1490 as the number on the rear wheel arch is missing, and i belive that second pic is a brochure shot of the DB 1490.

And i said her  ;)  ;D

Have you got a 1490 Mr. Cool

It is a 1490. I have one of these, 83hp turbo, Hydrashift,same engine as the 1210 and 1212 but with the addition of the turbo. There were problems with the very early ones breaking cranks as they used the series 2 1200 engine but found that the strain on the crank at low torque would make it 'whip' and it would snap, this was modified by beefing up the journals which cured the problem. Good hedgetrimming tractor.

The crank problem was initially 'cured' on the 1212 VQ cabbed models around '79 but a few of the 1490 ones failed as they were using up old stock parts left over. There were problems with the 1690 as well, there was a strike on in the steel industry and D.B (Case) used another company to supply the engine oil pumps which were of inferior quality (gear drives made from softer steel, not hardened enough) and when the tractors had done about 1,000 hours they would fail and the engine would seize, cost them a bit as all pumps had to be replaced under warrantee between engine number so-and-so and so-and-so.

ummm interesting  looking at it from the pic it looks like the rad is missing from the front of the engine bay  but im going by pics

I would have to see it in the flesh  as its around shrewsbury area i might go and have a look today or tomorrow  ;) ;)

I only ask if she was a 1490 as the number on the rear wheel arch is missing, and i belive that second pic is a brochure shot of the DB 1490.

And i said her  ;)  ;D

Have you got a 1490 Mr. Cool

I think i was getting worked up over notting! ;D Yes bazza we have at current 3 1490s 2wds 2 for breaking and one for refurbishment we tend to have at least one 1490 at any time in. ;)

I think i was getting worked up over notting! ;D Yes bazza we have at current 3 1490s 2wds 2 for breaking and one for refurbishment we tend to have at least one 1490 at any time in. ;)

Nice, do any of them have the last two letters ending CJ or VJ??  been keeping an eye out for my Dad's old ones  :)

It is a 1490. I have one of these, 83hp turbo, Hydrashift,same engine as the 1210 and 1212 but with the addition of the turbo. There were problems with the very early ones breaking cranks as they used the series 2 1200 engine but found that the strain on the crank at low torque would make it 'whip' and it would snap, this was modified by beefing up the journals which cured the problem. Good hedgetrimming tractor.

Dont forget the engine was beefed up from 1210/72hp 1212/73hp when they brought out the 1410/12 they had a bigger stronger crankshaft along with the turbo charged pistons rings valves ect ect...the first of these engines use to seize up due to over heat i think i forget but when they added the oil coolers they were a great engine almost un stopable.

The 1410/12 engine is the same unit as used in the 1490 except with a rottary injection pump and derated to 83hp.

I dont now i must take a look at them 2 of them were buy the sea and have been destroyed buy salt air totaly rotting.They other is in good nick with new front tyres shot blasted tinwork ect ect.. she should turn out nice its 1980 i think i have a pic!

S7300065.jpg

S7300066.jpg

Heres the good one i will show ya te rough one two! ;)

The 1490 was rated at 83 engine hp. None of them were fitted with an oil cooler, that was the 15 and 1690. Battery was moved from the front to underneath the right-hand cab steps to aid cooling. the reason some had overheating problems were because a certain number of them were fitted with a 'pusher' fan blade, this drew air around and past the engine and was too hot by the time it passed throuh the radiator, this method was ok but it was found that hedgetrimming finer chips blocked the radiator, this is what caused the main overheating problem. Most of these 'pusher' fans were replaced by the conventional 'puller' type as the grille screen stopped the radiator blocking as per normal but David Brown supplied a pair of special engine side-screens as a kit for self fitment for those that could not be bothered to change the fan.

The early 15 and 1690 suffered an overheating problem due to the cylinder head originally being cast as a single unit. It was found that the rear of the head would get hotter than the front and the tractor would overheat. also the head would expand at a different rate throughout it's length for the same reason and would slightly wharp, this lead also to head gasket problems. When they changed the design and fitted a double cylinder head (basically 2 3 cylinder units) both problems were solved at once and made servicing and repair cheaper and easier and also made the engine more fuel efficient. It also helps if you put water in the radiator mixed with a corrosion inhibitor.

U sure no ure 90 series browns!Me im more selectamatic but a good read!I no the 1490 never came with oil coolers but they should have also all 1690s should of been fitted with out side air cleaners like the original prototypes there a much better machine with the outer filters rather than under the bonnet also turbo chargers there a completely different tractor when there turbod!