Britains Forage Harvester No 9542

BC

I purchased a Forage harvester the other day No 9542 in an Authentic Farm Model box - the green & black one with yellow wheels. I have also the straw box one from childhood days in an orange colour. What I remember about the first one was that there was a crank driven by the wheels and silage appeared to come out from the top of the spout. My recent purchase was from an unopened box and when I opened and inspected the model I saw the crank was there but no "silage" attached to it. Does anyone know why Britians would have stopped that? I'm just curious since as I said the new box was unopened so it may be the case that Britains just forgot to include a part with this model.

Don't have the later black forager but I should imagine that the 'silage' may have been deleted as at the time this one came out all the models seemed to be going 'down-hill' a bit in quality but I'm sure that others on here that have the same period model will inform us if the 'silage' bit is on theirs.

I've broken quite a few of these to convert and to be honest I can't remember if the green version had the "floppy silage bit" or not  :-[, I still have several of the silage parts in a box in my workshop though if you want one.

I've broken quite a few of these to convert and to be honest I can't remember if the green version had the "floppy silage bit" or not  :-[, I still have several of the silage parts in a box in my workshop though if you want one.

Thanks for that F-P - I will be in touch in due course by PM. In the interimn I will await and see if anyother members have one minus the "silage bit". I mean if Britains did drop it then I would like to leave it off the model to keep it original.

Britains dropped the 'flickering' spout in the late 1980's.  This is mentioned in Peter Baron's book 'Toy Tractors from Britains'.  What you've got there is the later version and is as Britains made it.

Britains dropped the 'flickering' spout in the late 1980's.  This is mentioned in Peter Baron's book 'Toy Tractors from Britains'.  What you've got there is the later version and is as Britains made it.

Thanks for that information Peter I was fairly sure that they must have dropped that part of the model, shame really since it made it look more authentic. I must have another read of Peter Baron's book.

F-P I won't be in touch for a " flickering" spout. thanks anyway

And finally thanks to all for your responses.

• 2 months later...