ploughing with a ford 3000

sparrow legs

the coldness went to my head and i was found ploughing on my mates ford 3000 today :o he picked it up last night from Ripon (a present from his father inlaw ::)) and he rang me despereate for some land to plough so we went to the local vintage clubs show field for a round or two of ploughing ;D  we could not get the plough to reverse so it was used as a convensional (ram been stripped tomorro)

the tractor is very tidy, needs a few jobs doing like dynamo and front lights, fuel system etc but in good order overall, never missed a beat all afternoon, first pic is me having a go then rest mat playing on his new toy

post-194-132638672694_thumb.jpg

post-194-132638672699_thumb.jpg

a lemkin 2f reversable, needs attention to the ram as it wouldnt turn over!

Just like my new plough then, though it all works well. Looks like mine is the newer shape too, as it only has one wheel. Does it have skimmers or discs? As it want to see if I can make up some brackets to put in front of the skimmers, as it was tearig the soil very slightly when I tried it out the other day. :-\ :);)

Nice one !

Do you know of any more events round our neck of the woods ?

(I've missed meetings at Goodmanham nr Mkt Weighton the last couple of years)

was young farmers county ploughing match today! andrew bulers working day will be in feb, and thrashing at welwick over christmas. we will be having another play ay keyingham soon, hopefully my jd along with a county 1174 will be there this time ;D pm me ya number if you like and i will let you know when we are going (once i know)

Is the tractor a midway restoration? Looks like it is pretty straight and tidy, kind of like the previous owner never finished it? A nice looking machine, is it for ploughing matches and rallies or has he some paddocks etc where he needs it as a little work horse too?

Is the tractor a midway restoration? Looks like it is pretty straight and tidy, kind of like the previous owner never finished it? A nice looking machine, is it for ploughing matches and rallies or has he some paddocks etc where he needs it as a little work horse too?

its been part restored, past owner gave up i guess, as ive said its my mates not mine :( it will be added to his father inlaws collection, it will be rallyed and used for ploughing events etc, it is going to be run as it is this year then if it all works ok it will get a full make over during 2008 winter period. making me itchy to get a vintage again :D would like a fordson super major but bank balance and parents say NO for now ;) i could get one but my board would double etc as tractors are toys in my parents eyes

my ex boss has told me i can have the pertrol parriffin nuffield he sent away to get restored (before i left) so i guess ive said good bye to that :(

Lovely little ploughing tractor. Ballast up those rear wheels and put a Ransomes 3F TS 90 (UCN Mouldboards, discs and SN skims  :P;)) on the back and it'll snort its way up and down a field all day long. Brilliant hydraulics too; very responsive draft control which is the secret of its good traction. ;):-*

Ford top link sensing works exceptionally well, and I can never understand why most of the "Classic" tractor press always give them a poor report. I've ploughed many acres under a variety of conditions and can't fault them.  ;):)

Lovely little ploughing tractor. Ballast up those rear wheels and put a Ransomes 3F TS 90 (UCN Mouldboards, discs and SN skims  :P;)) on the back and it'll snort its way up and down a field all day long. Brilliant hydraulics too; very responsive draft control which is the secret of its good traction. ;):-*

Ford top link sensing works exceptionally well, and I can never understand why most of the "Classic" tractor press always give them a poor report. I've ploughed many acres under a variety of conditions and can't fault them.  ;):)

??? ??? ???

The 3000 had the worst hydraulic pump in tractor history! You'd be lucky if you could lift the plough off the ground in the morning

:o :o :o

Bit like our one then eh James :D :D

When the pumps were new or in good condition there wasn't a problem. Many people either didn't look after oil levels as they should have done, and often put the wrong grade of oil in the back end. The farm where I used to live had several of these model 3000's from 1965 to 1974. During that time we had two of them which were replaced every three years, usually with about 1200 hours on the clock by the time they were traded in. We only had one out of about six of them that ever gave problems with the pump, and that was replaced under warranty. That tractor was fitted with a loader and spent a lot of time on a Mc Connell ditcher that had tractor powered hydraulics

The later tractors had gear type hydraulic pumps and no problems whatsoever. The pump capacity was increased too which improved things further still. 3600 hydraulics were faultless, again the only difference between the early 3000's and the 3-6 being the pump itself.

Some of the early 3000's had the later pumps fitted, but that could only be done by changing the pipes to the rear axle.  ;):)

Incidentally, I've just looked at the picture again, and this tractor does have the original pump fitted. Can't be a lot wrong with that one if it can handle a 2F reversible.  ;):)

Will have to agree with you the gear pumps are faultless but our 3000 probably ahs done 15000hrs about 3000 with a loader and the rest mainly ploughing - she had the pump done but it was a waste of time - I think the return filter in the back axle needs to be cleaned - some day when we have time ;)