where to obtain and how to work with plastruct?

Richard de Florennes

Question

Hi, due to the fact that SIKU and most other manufactures virtually ignoring row crop farming, I have decided to save the money for scratch-built modells of this forums professional plus trying to begin doing something myself. As plastruct seems to be the ideal material for scracth-bult modells, I of course need to now where and how to obtain all the needed material. Also I am not sure if resin and plastruct parts can be combined in one modell ... Any help appreciated as I am a bloody beginner, or even less of this ...

14 answers to this question

The place Tris suggests is the best place to get it from. As for combining that and resin parts there is no problem, strip the paint away from the beet harvester models and you will see a mixture of both on it ;)

You can buy online or in good hobby shops.

It is easy to work with and like everything else in life, practice makes perfect!

Materials can be mixed....

This shear I built is a combination of brass, resin, plastruct and white metal....

100_4672.jpg

This MB trac has been extended using plastruct....

100_4368.jpg

This is a combination of resin and plastruct parts....

100_3542.jpg

This is a drunken mjb1....

marcus.jpg

And these are a culmination of resin and plastruct parts....

100_3392.jpg

The list is endless, ask for help and you'll find it amongst the many members on here.  ;)

as above Sasha, plastruct is easy to use, just need to take your time and practice. Have a think about what you want to do as well and try and plan it

EMA model supplies is the place to go unless you can find a German supplier??

Was that the Pic i sent you Jason! :D :D ::)

:D :D :D :D :D - thats a classic...  :D :D - looks like the Exhibition @ Over to me  :o:D :D :D

yeah i took it quickly on my phone that night....hence the blur and the fact its not a great phone camera ;):D :D :D,

do you remember the video he had :o :o :D :D

Good luck!!

Here is a tip, as it is difficult to visualise things when they are on a page or screen rather than in your hand - if you see people using things that may be useful to you why not ask them for the order number. It may save you ordering packets of wrong scale/sized pieces.

Tris.

to new questions, as I am beginning a real project now:

1. What is brass?

2. What can I use for elevators and tracks? (e. used on Daves oder Gavins beet harvesters?) Any finished parts available.

2.a How do you do hydraulic cylinders which keep their position even under load?

2.b How to fix two parts that shall stay movable gainst each other (e.g for lowering or lifting a topper unit? small nails?)

3. Where to obtain pieces of current Britains modells (e. g.) the tooth discs of the SIMBA solo without buying the whole modell just for breaking it?

to new questions, as I am beginning a real project now:

1. What is brass?

2. What can I use for elevators and tracks? (e. used on Daves oder Gavins beet harvesters?) Any finished parts available.

2.a How do you do hydraulic cylinders which keep their position even under load?

2.b How to fix two parts that shall stay movable gainst each other (e.g for lowering or lifting a topper unit? small nails?)

3. Where to obtain pieces of current Britains modells (e. g.) the tooth discs of the SIMBA solo without buying the whole modell just for breaking it?

1) Brass comes in sheet form and various shaped profiles but is more expensive and not as easy to work with as Plastruct

2) The elevator traces were cast from one taken off the Bruder Grimme potato Harvester, so not readily available anywhere

2a) The cylinders were made from Plastruct/Butyrate tubing and split pins on my harvester which worked well, car aerials also make good rams for the larger diameter ones

2b) Just use pins, wire or plastruct solid rod to fix them together

3) Just ask about, If it is Simba discs you are after I have a quantity of them in my spares box at the minute I believe. Someone on here may be able to help with other items. If not people like Walkerparts, Dave Towse and Farm Models do parts for some items

Hope that helps Sascha