Renault 735 RZ what are they like?

NCC

Eh up chaps,

Need some advice, I've been offered a X reg Renault 735 RZ, 4400 hrs, 80% tyres rear - 20% front, air con, cab suspension, 3 spools, telescopic hitch, pretty good condition, main tractor on ex arable farm on heavy clay all for ?15000 pennies. Just need to know what there like really, are they reliable, what are there common problems that they suffer from? It's a deere engine so i'm guessing thats bomb proof? Massey back end is what worries my in fact anything from them does now! What series is the lifting gear taken off, 8200 series, how does it perform? What are the gears like, semi powershift, clutchless shuttle?? I haven't seen it in person yet, need to know the finer details first to see if it's worth taking a proper look at next week?

Massey 6180 is a bag of spanners now, far too many problems!! It's a toss up between a Renault or NH TM150 need more ponies for these artics ;D ;D ;D

Cheers guys,

Nath :)

They are a damn good pulling tractor Nath, they were the predecessor to the 836 like the one I had. Gearbox wise you won't find any faults in that area, they took the dynashift gearbox and strengthened it, at the time they said in 145 ways. The main areas to check on it are the hydraulic crossshaft on the back end as the bushes can wear in them, the front axle swivels and pivot points as if these haven't been greased as per the manual the bearings fail and you'll be looking at a new axle casing. Engine wise, one thats worked hard for a living will pull like a train, just check the head area as these were prone to head gasket failure although by 4400hrs if it was going to go it would have done.

Gearbox as stated earlier is 4 on the stick with 4 splits in each just like the Dynashift, just a high and low range changed by a button on the side of the gearstick, it may also have a creep range fitted, the lever for which is down the right hand side of the seat.

Lift capacity is outstanding for a tractor of that size, it is rated at 11t maximum in the brochures and will happily lift a 6 furrow plough or 4m combination drill. It is fitted with the Dromone push out hitch as well, one warning here, if the trailer slips off the hook between the hitch and axle whilst hitching up it needs quick reactions or due to the lift capacity it will crack all the mounting brackets for the lift rods, I speak from experience :-[ It is a heavy tractor though and tips the scales at around 9000kg so is very stable for hedge cutting work

Fuel economy is good for a tractor that size but tank size lets it down if it doesn't have the extra tank fitted on the  right hand side. For the money you are looking at though you are getting a lot of hp, it does have some electronics but no where near as many as its competitors and should give you years of good service. Hope that helps :D

They are a damn good pulling tractor Nath, they were the predecessor to the 836 like the one I had. Gearbox wise you won't find any faults in that area, they took the dynashift gearbox and strengthened it, at the time they said in 145 ways. The main areas to check on it are the hydraulic crossshaft on the back end as the bushes can wear in them, the front axle swivels and pivot points as if these haven't been greased as per the manual the bearings fail and you'll be looking at a new axle casing. Engine wise, one thats worked hard for a living will pull like a train, just check the head area as these were prone to head gasket failure although by 4400hrs if it was going to go it would have done.

Gearbox as stated earlier is 4 on the stick with 4 splits in each just like the Dynashift, just a high and low range changed by a button on the side of the gearstick, it may also have a creep range fitted, the lever for which is down the right hand side of the seat.

Lift capacity is outstanding for a tractor of that size, it is rated at 11t maximum in the brochures and will happily lift a 6 furrow plough or 4m combination drill. It is fitted with the Dromone push out hitch as well, one warning here, if the trailer slips off the hook between the hitch and axle whilst hitching up it needs quick reactions or due to the lift capacity it will crack all the mounting brackets for the lift rods, I speak from experience :-[ It is a heavy tractor though and tips the scales at around 9000kg so is very stable for hedge cutting work

Fuel economy is good for a tractor that size but tank size lets it down if it doesn't have the extra tank fitted on the  right hand side. For the money you are looking at though you are getting a lot of hp, it does have some electronics but no where near as many as its competitors and should give you years of good service. Hope that helps :D

Aha cheers gav, that makes things clearer :) So the gears are basically a revised dynashift simple but effective, good then as never had much problems with that. Is there 2 types of F/R shuttle, in the pictures I have it looks like there is a lever coming from the dash but all the pics on the tinternet show it with the shuttle lever coming from a console just below the steering wheel?

Don't think I'll find much to beat the 11t lift capacity yet, contract ploughing next!! Does it have 1 hydraulic pump or 2, what are they like?? I've had problems with the 6180 ones, burnt them both out costing a small fortune, thats what puts me off the renault with the MF rear!!

Does it have something like datatronic, come in handy on the Massey suppose I could live without it if I had to, just come in handy every now n then. Whats the cab like, spacious? Looks similar to the MF cab is it? Needs to be gutsy and powerful, has the job of pulling artics n step frames loaded up with some weight aswell as hedgecutting and grassland work.

Now does anyone know were to get a brochure on this series or know of some good pics the ones the rep gave me of the cab are useless :D :D :D :D

Fighting talk is it then >:( >:(:-*

Sorry flower :-*:-* :-*;)

Cheers bluepower there spot on mate ;) ;)

how do nath , you going it alone now then or you still on the farm ? :) :) :)

Alreet Marcus? Always been on my own in a way, but with the work load over this last year increasing somewhat I'm working less on the farm and more on me own. I'm still based there and down there everyday like but I don't get many full days to mess around with the beef herd anymore. I've even started mountain biking i'm on the tractor that much, gettin a belly n chin :D :D :D

Cheers bluepower there spot on mate ;) ;)

Alreet Marcus? Always been on my own in a way, but with the work load over this last year increasing somewhat I'm working less on the farm and more on me own. I'm still based there and down there everyday like but I don't get many full days to mess around with the beef herd anymore. I've even started mountain biking i'm on the tractor that much, gettin a belly n chin :D :D :D

thats a drivers gut that is  :D :D :D :D welcome to the club mate :D

Aha cheers gav, that makes things clearer :) So the gears are basically a revised dynashift simple but effective, good then as never had much problems with that. Is there 2 types of F/R shuttle, in the pictures I have it looks like there is a lever coming from the dash but all the pics on the tinternet show it with the shuttle lever coming from a console just below the steering wheel?

Don't think I'll find much to beat the 11t lift capacity yet, contract ploughing next!! Does it have 1 hydraulic pump or 2, what are they like?? I've had problems with the 6180 ones, burnt them both out costing a small fortune, thats what puts me off the renault with the MF rear!!

Does it have something like datatronic, come in handy on the Massey suppose I could live without it if I had to, just come in handy every now n then. Whats the cab like, spacious? Looks similar to the MF cab is it? Needs to be gutsy and powerful, has the job of pulling artics n step frames loaded up with some weight aswell as hedgecutting and grassland work.

Now does anyone know were to get a brochure on this series or know of some good pics the ones the rep gave me of the cab are useless :D :D :D :D

The early ones had a lever sprouting from the dash but hat was changed to the the electronic one, either won't give you much trouble. There are two types of range change, one you pull the gearstick towards you (or push away,long time since I drove a 700 series) or a push button on the gearstick, on the 836 there was also a clutch button on the gearstick, usually used that instead of the pedal for main changes, it also softened the blow on powershift changes under load. My 836 did have the Renault version of Datatronic, it was an optional extra so they all didn't have it, if it has it will be on the right hand door pillar under the radio. The cab is very spacious with lots of room for lunch bags, tool boxes and girlfriend :D;)

I've never heard of any pump failures although my mates 710RZ did suffer a lift problem at 11000hrs, nothing too major though but up to that point and after it both him and the previous owners (Gunthers) had no problems with it ;)

I used to work for Renault and spent a bit of time on these - I'll see if I can dig out any photos of my time at CRA Ludlow [Now a Travis Perkins]

700 series were a standard GIMA 'dynashift' type transmission - 4 speed gate, dump button on the stick, nudge for range change, 4 powershift ratios. 800 series were the full powershift version of the same tractor - display on the RH cab A pillar told you what gear you had and the stick was basically the hand throttle with a nice handle on it for the buttons. Both 7 & 8's had the electro hydraulic shuttle on the dash. There were very few early ones sold with mechancal shuttles.

Major complaint of the semi powershift was that MF had pilfered the nice linkage for themselves, leaving Renault with a slightly awkward off set shift pattern. It takes some getting used to but once you are it's not as notchy as you think it is when you first try it.

RZ Hydrostable cabs were superb, comfortable and spacious. Heating blowers were very loud though.

Access to service items was pretty good - RZ's were higher mounted than RX's making everything a bit easier. Side panels on engines are a little hefty on 600 series but were 2 piece on 7 & 800's. Lift up fibreglass noses useful for cleaning rads. Top panels over engines are a bolt on concern, not like these modern lift up things like our new NH T series.

Gearboxes were pretty reliable - we had major problems with a creep box on a customers 710RZ [i think that's what it was] but the problems were more of Renault's warranty obstinacies than  repeated mechanical failure.

Engines were good - DPS weren't they? Same as the Deere 6 & 7000 series but with slighly different blocks to compensate for the lack of a chassies frame.

All in all they were a nice tractor, my choice would be for an 800 series just to get away from that notchy gear change but either will make a good workhorse.

We're all blue at home now having been blue and orange at the time [used to annoy the GM at Ludlow but what can I say].

Given the choice I'd have the TM but if I honestly had to pick the better machine I think it would have to be the Renault.

I used to work for Renault and spent a bit of time on these - I'll see if I can dig out any photos of my time at CRA Ludlow [Now a Travis Perkins]

700 series were a standard GIMA 'dynashift' type transmission - 4 speed gate, dump button on the stick, nudge for range change, 4 powershift ratios. 800 series were the full powershift version of the same tractor - display on the RH cab A pillar told you what gear you had and the stick was basically the hand throttle with a nice handle on it for the buttons. Both 7 & 8's had the electro hydraulic shuttle on the dash. There were very few early ones sold with mechancal shuttles.

Major complaint of the semi powershift was that MF had pilfered the nice linkage for themselves, leaving Renault with a slightly awkward off set shift pattern. It takes some getting used to but once you are it's not as notchy as you think it is when you first try it.

RZ Hydrostable cabs were superb, comfortable and spacious. Heating blowers were very loud though.

Access to service items was pretty good - RZ's were higher mounted than RX's making everything a bit easier. Side panels on engines are a little hefty on 600 series but were 2 piece on 7 & 800's. Lift up fibreglass noses useful for cleaning rads. Top panels over engines are a bolt on concern, not like these modern lift up things like our new NH T series.

Gearboxes were pretty reliable - we had major problems with a creep box on a customers 710RZ [i think that's what it was] but the problems were more of Renault's warranty obstinacies than  repeated mechanical failure.

Engines were good - DPS weren't they? Same as the Deere 6 & 7000 series but with slighly different blocks to compensate for the lack of a chassies frame.

All in all they were a nice tractor, my choice would be for an 800 series just to get away from that notchy gear change but either will make a good workhorse.

We're all blue at home now having been blue and orange at the time [used to annoy the GM at Ludlow but what can I say].

Given the choice I'd have the TM but if I honestly had to pick the better machine I think it would have to be the Renault.

Having driven both in the past 6 years I'd totally agree with you on that statement Simon, I'd have my old '03 plate 836 over the '55 plate TM175 i've driven this year anytime, definately used less diesel ::)

Having driven both in the past 6 years I'd totally agree with you on that statement Simon, I'd have my old '03 plate 836 over the '55 plate TM175 i've driven this year anytime, definately used less diesel ::)

What statement i've never driven a renualt  :-\ :-\ :-:D :D :D

Sorry Gav i couldn't resit a cheap laugh it would appear you right as well but whats all this numpty talk was only joking  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Well I haven't issued you with one lately so I'm getting withdrawel symptoms ;D

Alright Naffy hows da form way yoooh???

WHAT EVER YOU DO DO NOT BUY THE NEWHOLLAND!!

Your right the deere engine is a minter but be aware as far as i know deere supply engines to renault at less hp than the same engine that goes in the green beauties, you not think about a deere?? a 7820 or 7920?? or a 7810 is a real popular one?

Alright Naffy hows da form way yoooh???

WHAT EVER YOU DO DO NOT BUY THE NEWHOLLAND!!

Your right the deere engine is a minter but be aware as far as i know deere supply engines to renault at less hp than the same engine that goes in the green beauties, you not think about a deere?? a 7820 or 7920?? or a 7810 is a real popular one?

Trouble is Ricky a 7810 will set you back an extra ?7k at least to the same age Renault, the Renault has a lot more for your money as well ;)

Brilliant tractors used to have one at work till was promoted to the fendt :D :D

Things to watch gearbox and backend bullet roof really are nothing wrong with them ours was 7000hrs when it went never been split not even for the clutch as she was a mechanical shuttle as well not electronic.  THings we found went quite often as she got older is the starter motor she went through 4 in 2500 hrs, the flywheel on ours was nearly buggered when she left so be warned if looks like got new starter motor on her and has had a few means flywheel may also be starting to be on way out.  Other to watch the stop... forgotton name now but stops the engine is on left hand side up by tool box help me people?? can also start to go higher hours you get...

Cab suspension is second to none and TCE 20 as the 735's had aint to bad once get used to it etc and ours would lift 3 ton fert spinner no problems and would lift the 7 furrow reversible if needed but needed alot weight up front :D :D  But when working very hard they can drink like most tractors but on normal jobs they sip and thats about it on trailers etc will be fine.

Ours was a 1999/2000 with front linkage the works and was spot on i miss our old 735 alot  :'( :D

dont know much about renaults im afraid but if i was getting a tractor tomorrow i wouldnt buy a new holland if your also thinking along them lines, there way too soft. dont get me wrong there a nice tractor to drive and very operational and all that but theres always stuff going wrong with them regularly, mostly electrical stuff, blowing seals and mechanical faults. put it this way over the last few years ive driven (ranging from a couple weeks at a time to a few months) a 7840, ts 115 x2, 8160, 8360, 8560, tm 130, tm 120, tm150, tm 155x 2, tm 175, tvt 190 and tg 255 prob a couple i missed out on! and every one of them bar the 8560 and tm 130 gave trouble in some shape or form while i was on them.  ;) some might say i might have be dogging it but honestly i wasnt and ive spent way longer time periods in other makes without so much as a conk out. anyway thats just my opinion nh's are too soft.