what type of slurry store?

fendt-man-matty

what slurry stores are most common round your way?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. what slurry stores are most common round your way?

• lagoon
    • under ground tank (can be below slats)
    • open tank
    • other (explain what)

We do it a little bit diffrent over here, we use a twin pond system, goes from the cow shed to the 1st pond and then flows thru a baffle pipe into the second pond and then is pumped out on to the paddocks via travling irigator

How ever the councl is going away from this and now its a Very big concrete pit and pumped directly out to the paddocks, i personaly dont like this as its raw effluent going on the paddocks apposed to filtred, and most importantly, There isnt much capaicty for a pump break down or any thing, most places is one day if they are lucky, The laws say you need 3 days capacity but most farmers dont run them till the pit is full sort of system so they dont have the emergncy capacity sort of thing

we had a large sunken pit next to the muck heap, thats it, ,had a bank of earth round it to, just to hide it,most down thie way seem to be the same ,although i do know of a couple of permastore type ones built in the hills on a few cattle farms,

same here  :) mostly sunken with a bank but there are a few with the pit under the floors in the sheds  :-\ but i would rather have an open pit  :-\

round here they  have BIG spaces below slats  and overground permastore type lagoons  mostly.

I know of two  farms with massive holes in the ground that get used.

A  few of us still have proper  middens as opposed to just a push against wall  for dry stuff that goes over the slats beside the slurry store

mostly slats and permastore tanks up this way. a dairy that i pass on the way to work has not long built a huge new cubicle house that the cows seem to stay in all year round and i can see that the concrete floor is built on quite a slope, must be to encourage the slurry to flow in the required direction. they have also built a large outdoor concrete panneled slurry lagoon that was dug into the ground that sits about five feet above the ground now that they have back filled it. one thing that i have wondered about with those open tanks though is the amount of rain water they must catch, surely this must add quite a bit to the amount of slurry you have to end up spreading ???

hows that work?, any pics of it?

will try for pics later in the week

well the water goes in to a tank were it gets the solids seperated out and the dirty water is pumped in to 2 huge towers that hold it till its spread on the field with the irrigator

• 6 months later...

I think we have one pit that can be covered but the cover is never put on, 2 other out door pits and one large one that is the biggest, that one is built for our new barn and so that is we have to transfer manure from one pit to another we have room to do so. Ill see if I can snap pictures, I tend to forget my camera.