Now this really has to be a rare MF... a one off even perhaps !

I was browsing a new MF industrial brochure I had and I came across this little gem.. I reckon there can only have been one of the made.. strange that MF wanted to put their name to such a specific piece of equipment  :-\

I wonder why they called it the Brighton Beach cleaner.... you would have thought they would have just called it the MF beach cleaner..

I'd be really interested to know if anyone has any more information about this strange MF device...

MFIndustrialTractors_Page_05.jpg

MFIndustrialTractors_Page_07.jpg

I believe several US manufacturers dabbled with beach cleaning equipment, Allis Chalmers and John Deere certainly did, and as is the way of these things, if one does they all have to. Wether these machines were actually built by the companies or were badge engineered is a different matter. Allis Chalmers certainly built a "Beachmaster" version of their D21 tractor as there is one preserved in this country, an article on its restoration recently appeared in Tractor and Machinery magazine.

thats right allis did make one

when i was a kid the local town had one, because we lived in a bay and we had big contributary rivers, there was wood on the beaches every day, the big stuff after heavy rain in the head waters was picked up by loaders , but the small stuff and the grooming was done by a red beach cleaner pulled by a ISEKI SX85 4wd and cab,

Maybe the idea was thought up at brighton beach  :-\

And interesting looking machine marky, Thanks for sharing.

:D :D - now that's my kind of humour... daft... but funny..

So... pray to tell.. what makes you choose Brighton as the place of birth for this machine Kris... ???

And please make your answer more than 50 words (AND NOT ALL THE SAME WORD OR WORDS)  ;);D

:D :D - now that's my kind of humour... daft... but funny..

So... pray to tell.. what makes you choose Brighton as the place of birth for this machine Kris... ???

And please make your answer more than 50 words (AND NOT ALL THE SAME WORD OR WORDS)  ;);D

Well you see its like this marky now listen in.

We have all seen the pictures of the lovely (scantily clad) women on brighton beach.

Well the dirty old harry ferguson, Thought if brighton beach was dirty and littered. Said scantily clad women would visit it and so it came about. The Brighton Beach Cleaner

59 words also  ;D   ;D  ;D  ;D  

wonder if they done a MF Great Yarmouth beach cleaner  ::);D

would need a whole town cleaner there mate :D :D

intresting machine, prehaps brightom council asked mf to make something for them?? one off maybe, prehaps a e-mail to the council parks dept might answer the question, they might well know

From 'The  Massey Legacy' (part 2) by John FARNWORTH,

"The MF Brighton beach cleaner must rate as one of the most unusual products in the company's long history. Thought to have been made in Australia, 1971"

Specs...

Width of cut 48"

Normal cleaning depth 2-3"

Amount of sand cleaned 800 cu. yd./hr

Rear refuse container 0.5 cu. yd.

Screens available 0.5, 0.75 and 1"

Sounds like Mr FARNSWORTH was working from the same brochure as Marky.

Well I never did... good old John Farnwoth... I must confess to not having the massey legacy book YET... roll on Spalding  ;D

Thanks for sharing Aidie

Marky,

Save your money mate. It's not that great a book. If your interested in the very early history of the company it's ok, but you will have far more info on the classic erea from your collection of brochers. I really wish someone would do a really good glossy book for MF like "The Ford Story" (cannot remember who wrote it) which is a really good 'coffee table book' with really good pictures and information.

Marky,

Save your money mate. It's not that great a book. If your interested in the very early history of the company it's ok, but you will have far more info on the classic erea from your collection of brochers. I really wish someone would do a really good glossy book for MF like "The Ford Story" (cannot remember who wrote it) which is a really good 'coffee table book' with really good pictures and information.

That would be Stuart Gibbard, he has written just about everything on Fords and their derivatives

robbo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

How well do Mf take the beach, all the sea salt and so on, I know you dont see many deeres on the beach.... They either rot fast or are to busy working ::) I know that all the "Proper" beach cleaners they make today are zinc coated and stuff....

How well do Mf take the beach, all the sea salt and so on, I know you dont see many deeres on the beach.... They either rot fast or are to busy working ::) I know that all the "Proper" beach cleaners they make today are zinc coated and stuff....

I guess anything made out of 'mild steel' would not stand the test of time so well Nick.... poor old girl... I bet they got through some parts pretty quickly  :o

Before dad moved up to Wales, he lived in broadstairs.... he said he remembers them cleaning the beaches when he was about 13, not on a massey but on some other tractor, so thanks for posting marky mate ;D

No probs buddy.... my pleasure