BC's 1948 Ransome MG2 Caterpillar

BC

This year my MG2 crawler has been playing up in terms of petrol leaks and I didn’t want these to persist since they can ruin the paintwork. The first leak was at the push pull brass / cork tap on the petrol tank. No problem I thought replace it with a spare cork that has been swollen in water. No such luck the five I had were all dried out and worn. Anyway a friend from the rally scene was out past me and he recently retired from spending all of his working life in the motor trade. Quite a handy chap to know is George Simpson or Big Dod as he is usually called since he is a fairly skilled chap at making and fixing things. Anyway George took away a couple of the stops and made and inserted a couple of new corks on to the brass stop. One was made from synthetic and one from normal cork. I tried the normal one and hey presto no weeps at the petrol tank. The next problem I was having was that petrol was leaking from the float chamber. The float wasn’t stuck or damaged or any petrol in it but George decided to have the carburetor off and onto the bench and have a closer inspection. Basically he wasn’t very happy with the needle since it was worn and had a ridge half way up the point. Away he went with the carb and last night he was back out with it. Well what he had done was make two new needles. The first one from two piece of stainless steel and the second one partly from stainless and a brass and rubber top from some car carb from his mechanicing days. The brass one looked good so we tried that first. Unfortunately petrol was still by passing so out with that one and in with the all stainless steel one. Still a weep so there were roars of distress from Big Dod before he tapped the side of the carb and it stopped. I started her up and the carb was still dry so he appears to have done the trick. I checked later on in the evening and it was still dry so that pleased me since the first outing for this one will be at Fraserburgh in two weeks time.

In the photo from left is the originl needle folllowed by the all stainless one and then the brass / rubber / stainless one

ned12thset.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blimey Bill...sounds like 'Big Dod' is a man to know then  :o;)

Interesting post... thanks for sharing...

I bet you can't wait to get her out on the rallie fields this year now then mate... plenty of pics for the lads (& lasses) then please, if you will  ;);D

Blimey Bill...sounds like 'Big Dod' is a man to know then  :o;)

Interesting post... thanks for sharing...

I bet you can't wait to get her out on the rallie fields this year now then mate... plenty of pics for the lads (& lasses) then please, if you will  ;);D

Oh Big Dod is a very handy chap to know Mark. He is so skilled at metal work and woodwork it's scary. He took out a walking stick to show me last night he had made for his bothers upcoming birthday.. absolutely beautiful.

Anyway now he is retired it's even better because he is always looking for things to spend his time doing. I'm hoping I don't have too too many tractor problems  for him to fix this year though ;D ;D

I'm off to our local working weekend this weekend and having a bash with at ploughing with my Cub and Ransomes trailing plough. Need to stop by the garage a get a set of L plates though ;D ;D

I will try and get some photos of the event and post up when I'm back next Tuesday. James T was going to be the one for photos at this event but unfortunately I heard from him today he is unable to make it up to Aberdeenshire this year.

Oh I'll need to get a photo of the "Polar Ferguson" Big Dob and his mate restored / replicated up some 10 years ago. It's not coming to the BA event but its in a museum up in Alford and the next time I'm up there I get some shots.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well Saturday forenoon and it was time to get my MG2 unloaded points and plug given a clean and low and behold one crank and the old girl burst into life...magic ;) ;)

Now loading back up with the winch and all ready for the Glamis Castle Show near Forfar and Cupar Angus next Sunday.

Various006.jpg

Various007.jpg

Various008.jpg

Various009.jpg

Various010.jpg

Wow this is fantastic what a cool little tractor

in one of the first pictures what is the chain on the back ? looks like drive chain not tow chain?

Deeredriver the chain in one of the first pictures is for manually lifting the toolbar attachment. There is a large lever on the righthand side which will be in the down position so you will not see it. I will raise it and take photos to show how it works when it is out next week end at the show.

I might have said this already Bill but that is one gorgeous little crawler you've restored there, nice way of transporting her too. :)

Thanks David but it is a bit extravagent having a trailer all too herself but makes it easier when getting home at night. Reverse in and close the garage door.

Bill thats stunning mate, we had a ts42 plough quite rare

Adam there is the TS42 plough and also the TS42 A. I have the TS42 A and have seen ones sold in the region of £ 450 in the past.

MG2Etc011.jpg

Deeredriver the chain in one of the first pictures is for manually lifting the toolbar attachment. There is a large lever on the righthand side which will be in the down position so you will not see it. I will raise it and take photos to show how it works when it is out next week end at the show.

I have found photos showing the lifting system

Misc120708024.jpg

MG2Etc003.jpg

• 8 months later...

Seeing LF's post on his red trailer I thought it was time to get my red covered in trailer out ;) ;)

No seriously I nee a covered in trailer for next weekend outing to the Isle of Skye on Saturday then Ikea Edinburgh for some glass display units.

The trailer shoved out instead of hitching to car braked and then screw jacks under the chassis to save tipping down at the back whilst unloading.

14032010001.jpg

Now the MG2 see the light of day for the first time in 2010...shes been in hibernation since July last year. She only got a run to Glamis and back since it was too wet and muddy to unload.

14032010002.jpg

Ramps down and held with pins well strong coach bolts really in case ramps slip.

The ramps have Aluminium trade or checker plate underneath but with metal to metal it is like driving on black ice so old quarry belt saves any slippage or slides.

14032010003.jpg

The crawler is put in gear wound out to point of balance with starting handle and then rolls herself down into the garage floor and stops nicely before crashing into the covered up Nuffield.

14032010004.jpg

Lovely little crawler Bill made all those years ago in my hometown :)

My brother-in-law owns one and does the vintage ploughing match circuit locally, I get some pictures next time i'm at my sisters, he also has a Allis B, a TE20 and a 35X think he just bought a Ford 4000 aswell :)

I took all the secondary flooring and electric winch and ramps out of trailer for next weekend journey since lees weight better fuel economy. mind you i will be restricted to around 60mph and well the wind resistance effects consumption too ;) ;)

14032010005.jpg

14032010006.jpg

14032010007.jpg

Now I see a stud is shearing form holdings on the cooling fan. Odd since a nut at this side. Will need to have a dismantle but not this weekend or next.

14032010008.jpg

Now this is only the second time I have tried the video on my camera so apologies if it isn't to clear or is shaky.....but I thought I would let you here her running juts in case any of you out there were doubting Thomas's :-\ :-\

th_14032010010.jpg

Lovely little crawler Bill made all those years ago in my hometown :)

My brother-in-law owns one and does the vintage ploughing match circuit locally, I get some pictures next time i'm at my sisters, he also has a Allis B, a TE20 and a 35X think he just bought a Ford 4000 aswell :)

Thanks Paul.

Ransomes of Ipswich and made at their Orwell works. The blue paint is also Orwell blue although when they made the elevator tattie diggers the colour of blue was lighter and called Nacton blue.

Yes please see if you can get photos of your brother in law's crawler. In addition can you find the serial number. It is on a plate at the back. There were 3,200 MG 2's produce betwen 1939 and 1948. Mine is a 1948 model and number 3,118 or the 82 last one made before they started making the MG5 then MG 6 and latterly an MG40.

Thanks Paul.

Ransomes of Ipswich and made at their Orwell works. The blue paint is also Orwell blue although when they made the elevator tattie diggers the colour of blue was lighter and called Nacton blue.

Yes please see if you can get photos of your brother in law's crawler. In addition can you find the serial number. It is on a plate at the back. There were 3,200 MG 2's produce betwen 1939 and 1948. Mine is a 1948 model and number 3,118 or the 82 last one made before they started making the MG5 then MG 6 and latterly an MG40.

Ransomes Orwell works was on the banks of the River Orwell but is long since gone, Ransomes moved to a green field site at Nacton which is where they still are today although most of the old site is now an Industrial Estate and retail park called Ransomes Europark.

If you are ever down in Suffolk the Museam of East Anglian Rural life in Stowmarket has a whole building dedicated to the history of Ransomes Sims and Jefferies.

Ransomes Orwell works was on the banks of the River Orwell but is long since gone, Ransomes moved to a green field site at Nacton which is where they still are today although most of the old site is now an Industrial Estate and retail park called Ransomes Europark.

If you are ever down in Suffolk the Museam of East Anglian Rural life in Stowmarket has a whole building dedicated to the history of Ransomes Sims and Jefferies.

I knew the darker blue that the MG2 was painted in was Orwell Blue after the works at Orwell but I had not appreciated that they had moved to Nacton and that was the name of the lighter shade of blue used on their more modern implements of the late 70's and early 80's.

It is very true Paul one does learn something new everyday ;) ;)

Now the exhaust and engine has cooled down time to cover her with a couple of dust sheets a car frost cover and part of Nuffy's Costco heavy duty cover.

I hope they don't get too cosy and start breeding....mind you a half track Nuffield would be rather a nice one to have but not 100% size.....1/32nd scale  or 1/16 would be nice ;) ;)

14032010012.jpg

14032010013.jpg

• 6 months later...

Well must be the first time since 1985 ( 25 years ) that my MG 2 has not been out to a rally.Partly due to lack of time in getting around to fixing a bolt / stud that appears to be shearing away at the cooling fan pulley.

Well today wraps off and time for a fiddle about

19092010001.jpg

19092010002.jpg

The sore bitty

19092010003.jpg

Exhaust removed

19092010004.jpg

19092010005.jpg

Engine cowl and fan off

19092010006.jpg

Archived