CB Help

FW

Really don't know that much about CB's but have been advised to get one when I go on with the straw gang as and when the straw job starts, when the new tractor is bought. What do I need and which recievers are any good? Also can you get portable ones to have between the car and the tractor.

Any help will be much appreciated. :);) ;)

Get yourself a good, well built set like a Midland, Danita or Maycom, personally I have a couple of Midlands and a Cobra (discontinued) but my favourite set is the Maycom EM27 that I have, its a digital type rig and has now done over 6 years service in various tractors. I'll give you some more info on msn later ;):)

Ah thanks for the help lads. Have bid on a few used ones on ebay to get started and I shall see how it goes. Would ne nice to get all of the tractors and trucks on the same system I must say......could potentially save a lot in phone bills. :)

One question though, on average what sort of range can you achieve? ???

I bought a Cobra one to go in one of our tractors, everything is on the handset and you have a junction box which you connect to the power source, whip and plug the handset into. You could buy additional junction boxes for about 25 quid and fit them in several other vehicles, then you just move the handset around. Works well for one driver who may take several different machines on jobs so he can swap the CB between machines and means you don't have to mount a full CB in every vehicle, can stick a JB in your car then too. Don't know if you can still get them though. The only real problems were the doofer on the back to hang it on was plastic, with the weight of the handset it eventually broke off and I just had to leave the thing lying on the side, which was a real pain.... and you really couldn't get it loud enough as the speaker buit into the handset was a bit diddy... Obviously if you need to talk to several of your own fleet one handset is a bit of a non starter! Mines in a bucket somewhere after removing it from the TS when we sold it. Must re-fit it really....

Ah ok I get it thanks Simon and do you want to sel yours? :P As for needing more than one to talk to someone I guessed that, but it's more for when I do man and driver for a local straw gang or when we're combining as the Lexion ad one in it when we bought it 3 seasons ago. :);) ;)

I probably wouldn't be averse to that actually Will. Let me check it all works first mate and I'll let you know. It would probably suit your set up as it sounds very similar to how mine was.

I know the Cobra one that you mean Simon, its yet another rig that is confined to the history books. I still have one of the old retro styled Cobra's in my Discovery, yet again they are no longer available and command good prices second hand. For added fun though some have a PA speaker facility on them...good for making people jump ;D:D :D

I know the Cobra one that you mean Simon, its yet another rig that is confined to the history books. I still have one of the old retro styled Cobra's in my Discovery, yet again they are no longer available and command good prices second hand. For added fun though some have a PA speaker facility on them...good for making people jump ;D:D :D

I think mine has that on it Gav.... great for coneheads who double park when you're trying to get through with something wide  ;)

I probably wouldn't be averse to that actually Will. Let me check it all works first mate and I'll let you know. It would probably suit your set up as it sounds very similar to how mine was.

Top man! :)

You want to go old school Will and hit ebay for names like Rotel and York. Big boxes but awesome rigs. I had a Rotel RVC240 I think it was. You can pick up a SWR meter for under £20 and they are useful to have, it's quick and doesn't hurt to re-tune your rig a few times a year. A good base is vital, alot of these plastic roof cabs pose a problem for this. Sometimes though, through the cab roof fixing points you can make up a bar to fit across the top for your whip, beacons etc. This way the whip is fixed and earthed straight into the cab frame. Some of the TM's I have been working with have a metal frame under the bonnet so a mag mount cab be used but seeing a whip swaying around in front of you all day will drive you mad. They have their own speaker but a seperate one plugged in the back wouldn't hurt. Also, if you make you power lead removable from the rig and make up a loom for power and coax lead (ariel) in your car you can swap between the two really easily. :)

This is the Cobra rig that I have, excellent rig in my opinion and if you can find one well worth the money, lots of features on it including one which lights up the whole front panel, particularly handy for working in the dark :);)

post-334-132638794942_thumb.jpg

New tractor Will - you kept that quite ;D ;D

Interesting post this so what kind of money would you be talking about to get a system fully going per vehicle ???

Well to put it simply we're having a restructure with the herd, as we're fattening less and less and selling more steers and heifers as stores, so we can up our breeding cow numbers, but they're is less of a demand for keep and silage. So the plan is to become more self sufficient in food and straw for the cattle, so we're going to plough up about 75 acres to start with. So after receiving some ridiculous quotes from contractors who just said 'we farm it and you take the payment'. So we have decided to buy a newer and bigger tractor and plough and do it ourselves, so Dad has given in and has agreed to buy me whatever we need. Have chosen to go with a full spec Case MX135. :);) ;)

As for money per rig, new your looking up to £80, used on eBay up to £50 all in. ;)

Don't forget to SWR your new ariel mate too.... I've got a SWR meter somewhere in the garage... I'll see if I can look it out for you  ;)

That would be superb if you could Marky. ;)

You want to go old school Will and hit ebay for names like Rotel and York. Big boxes but awesome rigs. I had a Rotel RVC240 I think it was. You can pick up a SWR meter for under £20 and they are useful to have, it's quick and doesn't hurt to re-tune your rig a few times a year. A good base is vital, alot of these plastic roof cabs pose a problem for this. Sometimes though, through the cab roof fixing points you can make up a bar to fit across the top for your whip, beacons etc. This way the whip is fixed and earthed straight into the cab frame. Some of the TM's I have been working with have a metal frame under the bonnet so a mag mount cab be used but seeing a whip swaying around in front of you all day will drive you mad. They have their own speaker but a seperate one plugged in the back wouldn't hurt. Also, if you make you power lead removable from the rig and make up a loom for power and coax lead (ariel) in your car you can swap between the two really easily. :)

Hmm thanks for the advice Tris will get on eBay. As for fixing, I have been advised to put the aerials on the mirrors, which do look well I must say. :);) ;)

The mirror arms isn't a bad place at all Will. If you put one either side DON'T use the full hieght Stinger type. They end up too close and mess up your receive/transmit power, contrary to popular belief. In general whips should be 1.5 their own length apart. If you go for one, put it on the side normally away from the hedge, just makes then a little less susceptable to being bashed and throwing out your SWR. ;)

Interesting that Will and makes perfect sense - looking forward to seeing the MX already - what plough are you buying 4/5f Dowdeswell ??? Contractors are very dear for everything I think - hence why even though we farm on a medium scale over here (proably small over there) we are nearly self sufficient ;)

You trading anything for the MX Will ???

Some interesting bits on CB's here might have to look into that - could see it saving a bit in mobile bills ;)

Interesting that Will and makes perfect sense - looking forward to seeing the MX already - what plough are you buying 4/5f Dowdeswell ??? Contractors are very dear for everything I think - hence why even though we farm on a medium scale over here (proably small over there) we are nearly self sufficient ;)

You trading anything for the MX Will ???

Some interesting bits on CB's here might have to look into that - could see it saving a bit in mobile bills ;)

Well that's the idea. Yeah a Dowdy would be nice and the plan is to put a Quickie on the 5130 and sell the 885LP. ;)

honestly Will , go for cheap & cheerfull , i have one in my truck & it works a treat

got it hooked upto a ciggarette lighter plug , so it can effectively be moved if i want , but wired in would be better , yeah the old names are the better makes , but are hard to come by & not as small as some & also carry loads of stuff you wont need.

want a sprung arial 2.5 ft on a mag mount , that way the trees will brush the whole thing off rather than snap the whole thing off

position ? seen lots on the cab roof , but also had one mag mount on the front of the bonnet , even fixed to the bonnet.

tractors are bad for vibration & have gone through a few CB's thatway also , dust doesnt do them much good either

last set i bought cost me £60, new mag & areal cost £30, £90 for the lot & i was off ,

£90 lot of money ? a one off cost for a few of the main tractors , but against the cost of mobile phone bills, very good when you consider that you are in constant touch with the people you're working with at anytime of the day , all day long if you want to  :)