Whats The Crop?

BGU

Went for a walk yesterday and there is loads of this planted around the village.

MGU want's to know what it is please? Also is it harvested by a Combine harvester, what is it used for, whne is it harvested etc etc. :D :D

DSCN46952008-06-29DSCN4695.jpg

DSCN46962008-06-29DSCN4696.jpg

Thanks

my guess is it`s oilseed rape..........pods too slender for peas or beans ............i don`t grow it so not  100% positive mind you.Certainly looks like it to me tho.

If it is then  it`s more than likely dessicated  with herbicide to help it be evenly ripe (well  killed off I suppose) and possibly swathed by a machine like a combine which only cuts and leaves it in a row.That may be largely stopped over here tho I couldn`t be certain, some of the others will know for sure.if thats the case then it would just be cut by a combine like other seed crops.time.....oh not certain , probably after the earliest winter barley  tho.

something I was told , your trailers for hauling the seed about have to be watertight?  can anyone confirm that? :)

I know of two people who pick up after a swather has cut it two weeks earlier or so.  Nearly all straight cut after desication though. The oil is extracted by crushing it Kev. It is then used for industrial oil based products. Varnish, paint, plastic, lino flooring. In food, cooking oils, sauces. More recently bio-fuel, not enough though. The bi-product is rape meal for animal feed. All in all, a very envirometally friendly crop. It leaves nitrogen in the ground for the following (usually barley) crop.

Looks like oil seed rape.

Good sign that it is that it has/ had yellow flowers, also gives off and aroma.

They grow loads up here in the North east of scotland. They used to use a swather and swath it first the pick it up with the combine now the just cut it strainght with the combine.

Jakescot you are right about the trailers they need to be very tight closing as it is very small grains and run very freely.

yeah oil seed after its flowered, gets like a nasty tangled mess when it gets to this stage, keep your dogs out of it, our friends currently have a 300 quid bill for stiches ,ect to under there dogs eyes after she bolted of after a rabbit into a field of that stuff

yeah oil seed after its flowered, gets like a nasty tangled mess when it gets to this stage, keep your dogs out of it, our friends currently have a 300 quid bill for stiches ,ect to under there dogs eyes after she bolted of after a rabbit into a field of that stuff

our spaniels are always in it, no injuries yet....you try and keep them out :D

our spaniels are always in it, no injuries yet....you try and keep them out :D

i know mate, she said it just bolted off, came back out like that, cut under the eye, several other scratchs to ,but not as bad as the first one ,know it gets tight ,but never seen a dog get caught like it before i have to say

i know mate, she said it just bolted off, came back out like that, cut under the eye, several other scratchs to ,but not as bad as the first one ,know it gets tight ,but never seen a dog get caught like it before i have to say

yeah it does get tangled up, hence the side shears on the machines!. I think its worse when nearly ripe?