Strange or amusing field names

Gav836

This one is aimed at the farmers and farm workers on here, I was looking at a map of the farm I now work on yesterday to see where the fields were he wanted me to do some work on, looking at the names got me thinking about how funny or strange some of them can be so guys whats the most amusing or strangest one you have?

Our one has to be Clickety Click....its 66 acres hence the bingo reference :D

At the last place I worked it would have to be Cocky Hoop, never did get to the bottom of that one

The contractor I worked for last year had a field with a pylon in it, a pond and not one straight hedge. .. it was down on the farm map as B*stard Field  :D :D

we have one like that too, no pylons but woods and no straight hedges...called Crooked Field, daren't imagine how to do the spuds on it when it drops into rotation on there ::) ::)

I did have one named after me on one of our farms in the past which I forgot about until now ::) it was called Gavs Folly because it was a nasty wet little 10 acre field with a natural spring in it, it seemed what ever I done on that field I had problems.....the disc's sank, the beet drill sank, the combine would either sink in or drag the barley out of the ground as it was so peaty, the list goes on.....others had problems with it too it's just I was the first one to do so so had the naming priveledge :D :D

I did have one named after me on one of our farms in the past which I forgot about until now ::) it was called Gavs Folly because it was a nasty wet little 10 acre field with a natural spring in it, it seemed what ever I done on that field I had problems.....the disc's sank, the beet drill sank, the combine would either sink in or drag the barley out of the ground as it was so peaty, the list goes on.....others had problems with it too it's just I was the first one to do so so had the naming priveledge :D :D

one named after you, when i saw that i asumed it would be "flaming acres" or similar after your last season on the combines

one named after you, when i saw that i asumed it would be "flaming acres" or similar after your last season on the combines

true Sean, i think we should rename it! :D :D

Some feilds do have strange and weird names, usually named by assosiation somewhere back in time and very often you find that groups of houses in villages and towns were named after the original field names that they were built in. Some fields are very imaginatively named, others are just what they are, like 'barn field', 'horse field', 'ten acre' etc. I reckon that it would be a good exercise for you all to research the origins of your field names or if you live in the urban sprawl, the origin of your terrace, street or close etc name.

Need to look into this.... a few off the top of my head, favourite was a field called 'the dednal' - always loved that one.... and 'the sling'... have a few nice ones now but I'll have to look them up, we've got, er, foxholes, lock house field, river meadow....

The contractor I worked for last year had a field with a pylon in it, a pond and not one straight hedge. .. it was down on the farm map as B*stard Field  :D :D

On Lodge Farm at Stanstead park near Westbourne in West Sussex, there was a field called Bustard Hanger, so called because of the Bustards (Hunting Birds) that were seen there. They became extinct in about 1830. The field you knew of may have had the same connection and had the name changed slightly over the years when its association with the bird was forgotten.

Nearby Sindles farm has a field called "Clappers" which is a medieval word for land with rabbit burrows. There's another called "Little Hams" Hamm being an old word for a meadow. The Brooks. A Brook is an old Sussex word for a water meadow. Another is called "Netser", thought to be an old word for a cattle fold, possibly from the "Iron Age"

Another of their fields is called "Pickledean" Pickle is again another word for an enclosure and "Dean" is a valley. so the name is self explanatory.

This information was taken from a book written by a John Veltom who owned Sindles Farm at a place called Westbourne on the Sussex / Hampshire border. I lived there until I was about five and a half years old.

I wrote to John Veltom recently hoping to reminisce about the good old days, and possibly visit the farm; but sadly his son replied telling me that John had fallen victim to a series of strokes and could no longer understand or remember very little of his past. Isn't life in old age cruel; that he should be robbed of a lifetimes memories and experiences in his twilight years. Fortunately he finished the book before all this happened, so his memories and experiences will live on for future generations to read about.  :)

One of my clients has a field called "Pickpocket". 

I asked how it got the name and was told that the wooded byway running through it was once the main road to Salisbury and the highwaymen used to waylay travellers there.  One highwayman in particular was Jack Shepherd who gave his name to the nearby hamlet of Jacks Bush and, at the other end of his range, to an inn called "Brockley Jack" in South London where he was finally arrested.

Spooky because I used to live about a mile from the Brockley Jack and now about 8 miles from Jacks Bush!