The MF 780 combine...

Old black and white photos from Nigel would be nice.

As for John well I don't suppose we will see or hear from him today he will be too too busy running in his nice new tractor ;D ;D

i have actually help restore a tanker combine as shown above, it is on perminant loan to our local vintage club, we did a few repairs to it last year then we all had a play with it on some wheat ;D nice old machine to drive, bit different to a lexion 580 :o;D  its quite a strange feeling driving it after driving modern combines.

I suspect JDC and Nigel Ford would remember both methods Bill... as they are sooooooooo bloody old... Maybe Nigel has some old black & whites he can share with us  :P

* Marky hides in the broom cupboard looking out of the keyhole *

Got rid of the Friesians years ago.... ;):)

Couldn't afford a camera in those days.......... :D

We had a bagger for a few years then a tanker - exciting stuff going on to bulk grain! I can't remember too much about the bagger, apart from getting in the way on the platform.  :D

I think the picture of the combine chassis is of an earlier model than the 1957 leaflet shown. If you look under the operators platform you will see what looks like a starter motor, which was for the electric table lift. It appears to have a Meadows petrol TVO engine and the fuel tank appears to be under the drivers seat as opposed to all the ones I've seen where the fuel tank was on the nearside rear.

It also doesn't have the speed variator pulley control lever on the handrail by the steering wheel. Whether that would have been located elsewhere on the earlier models; I don't know. I've only ever seen one with the electric table lift. My uncle's bagger had two levers on the right of the steering wheel, one for the hydraulic table lift and the other for the speed variator.

Anyone got any pictures of a 780 with the fuel tank under the seat?  :)

It does have variable speed pulleys on it, but I don't see any evidence of a hand lever for it, so it's either been taken off or was fitted elsewhere.

Couldn't afford a camera in those days.......... :D

We had a bagger for a few years then a tanker - exciting stuff going on to bulk grain! I can't remember too much about the bagger, apart from getting in the way on the platform.  :D

I suddenly remembered something about the bagger.......well two things really. The seat on the bagging platform folds in for traveling on the road,................and the bagger was good in another way, in as much that the first bag from the rear on the chutes collected all the broken grains and small seeds from weeds etc which farmers used to feed Pheasants etc.

I remember seeing them in the field with a pile of sacks hanging over the seat and all the ready cut sisal ties for the bags. ...............memories.  :'(

the CLAAS SF we had also had the same principle of the tailings coming off the end chute of the bagging platform. I used to put the bags on the hooks and clamps and keep them "bumped up" so they filled without actually hanging on the hooks until half full (as I was only about 9 at the time) and passed the strings to old Bill or Patrick, whoever was on that day, who then made sure the bags filled to the right level, took them off and tied the bag necks as I passed the strings.The bags filled fastest nearest the delivering elevator so we were continually dodging each other and corresponding by smile only as the Perkins roared away right behind us, and the only contact with Dad (driving) was when we off-loaded the bags at the headland from the big side-chute onto the waiting trailer bed.

What a no-brainer of Massey to let them down onto the damp ground from where they had to be picked up by hand at the end of the day!!! ???;)