SOME FARMING BOOKS FROM THE 1950's and 1960's

BC

WIDE ROTOR DIGGING MACHINE WITH REVOLVING SPADES WHICH TURNS SIDEWAYS TO INVERT SOIL

1182008210.jpg

COMPONENTS OF A TRAILING PLOUGH WITH LEA BODIES

1182008211.jpg

DAVID BROWN 3 FURROW PLOUGH WITH TRIP BEAMS

1182008212.jpg

6 FURROW RANSOMES & WAVYEDGE DISC COULTER USED  FOR PLOUGHING IN STRAW

1182008213.jpg

COMPONENTS OF A 2-3 FURROW DIRECT MOUNT PLOUGH DEPTH WHEEL

1182008214.jpg

LEA PLOUGH & DIGGING PLOUGH

1182008215.jpg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DAVID BROWN & LONG SEMI MOUNTED 6 FURROW PLOUGH

1182008216.jpg

FARMALL & SEMI MOUNTED 2 FURROW REVERSIBLE PLOUGH

1182008217.jpg

2 FURROW DEEP DIGGING RANSOMES WITH SUBSOIL TINES / MF & DIRECT MOUNTED SUBSOILER

1182008218.jpg

MARSHALL CRAWLER & SUBSOILER / TRACTOR MOUNTED 3 FURROW DISC PLOUGH

1182008219.jpg

SUNSHINE STUMP-JUMP DISC PLOUGH / DISC TILLER DISTRIBUTING FERTILIZER

1182008220.jpg

GENERAL PURPOSE TRACTOR MOUNTED CULTIVATOR RIGID TINES IN 3 ROWS

1182008222.jpg

RANSOME SPRING TINE CULTIVATOR

SPRING TINE CULTIVATOR HARROW

HD CULTIVATOR

1182008223.jpg

MF & 4 SECTION ZIG ZAG HARROW

1182008224.jpg

MF & 3 SECTION SPRING TINE HARROW

MF & MOUNTED FOLDING SPRING TOOTH WEEDER

1182008225.jpg

FERGUSON & TRACTOR MOUNTED WILDER ( PITCH POLE ) HARROW

1182008226.jpg

HEAVY DUTY MOUNTED A TYPE RANSOMES DISC HARROW

1182008227.jpg

RANSOMES MOUNTED TANDEM DISC HARROW

1182008228.jpg

RANSOMES TRAILED DISC HARROW WITH PNEUMATIC TYRED WHEELS AND DEPTH CONTROL

1182008229.jpg

HEAVY DUTY FURROW PRESS BEHIND A 4 FURROW PLOUGH

SUGAR BEET PREPARATION CULTIVATION WITH THISTLE BAR . DUTCH HARROW & 2 SETS LIGHT HARROWS

1182008230.jpg

EVERSMAN HYD LONG BASED LAND LEVELLER

8HP ROTOVATOR ROTARY HOES

1182008231.jpg

MF SEMI MOUNTED COMBINE DRILL

INTERNATIONAL 3 POINT LINKAGE MOUNTED GRAIN DRILL

1182008235.jpg

WEBB 5 ROW SINGLE SEED DRILL SOWING SUGAR BEET

1182008236.jpg

J.E.C SOD SEEDER MOUNTED ON CULTIVATOR  WITH SPRING MOUNTED TINES

1182008237.jpg

GRASS SEED BROADCASTER FITTED TO CAMBRIDGE ROLLER

1182008238.jpg

ROBOT 3 ROW TRACTOR MOUNTED SEMI AUTOMATIC POTATO PLANTER

1182008239.jpg

MF AUTOMATIC 2 ROW POTATO PLANTER WITH FERTILIZER ATTACHMENT

1182008240.jpg

RUSSEL TRANSPLANTER WICH EMPLOYS SORBO RUBBER DISCS

1182008241.jpg

RIDGING BODIES ON REAR TOOL BAR

1182008242.jpg

BD 2D WITH MID MOUNTED RIDGER

DEXTA & RANSOMES SPRING TINED RC CULTIVATOR

1182008243.jpg

WALLACE - CRAMER SHALLOW RIDGING BODIES

BD2D HOEING ONIONS

1182008244.jpg

FERGUSON & STANDEN FRONT MOUNTED TOOLBAR

INTERNATIONAL & MID MOUNTED POWER HOE

1182008245.jpg

STANDEN 4 ROW INTERROW ROTARY HOE

ROTARY HEAD THINNING M/C

1182008246.jpg

WEBB LIME & FERTILIZER SPREADER

1182008251.jpg

MF & FRONT MOUNTED HYDRAULIC LOADER

1182008252.jpg

MASSEY HARRIS & 2 WHEELED TRAILER SPREADER

1182008253.jpg

HOWARD FLAIL TYPE SIDE SPREADING MACHINE CYLINDRICAL BODY

WILD-THWAITES MACHINE SPREADING DUNG HEAPS

1182008254.jpg

Aren't these old books great to look at. Absolutely fascinating. When you look at many of the machines; it's a good indication that the designs were almost impossible to improve on when the current offerings are so similar.

The main changes we see are in the size of the machines and how they are controlled. In spite of all the technology of today, they still did the job just as effectively.

These pictures also bring back a lot of happy memories for me. The days of discing, rolling and harrowing to make seed beds, cabless tractors........great in the summer, spreading dung with a land driven dung spreader with the clicking wheels when you were cornering or reversing, spreading basic slag with an early Varispreader, watching grass and fodder rape being planted with a "Shandy Barrow", listening to the busy clatter of a Track Marshall 55's tracks pulling a trailer plough, the smell of well rotted dung and diesel fumes from a Fordson Major fitted with a low mounted old tubular Mil loader, and the hefty bang as the bucket returned to the trip lock. Watching a Caterpillar D2 pulling a mole plough to lay water pipes for water tanks in the field, rigid tined Nicholson cultivators with mechanical lift, courtesy of a rope operated wheel trip. Spreading grass on a silage clamp by hand, making sure there weren't any air pockets in the side of the clamp, and being told to build up the outside of the clamp well because thats where most of the wastage comes from........... :'( :'( sorry I get a bit nostalgic sometimes.

My other favourites being the old pre "parlour" days of the old cowstalls. In the winter when it was very cold, the tops and bottoms of the doors would be shut and I loved the smell when the doors were open and the warmth of the air inside. The cows we had were Pedigree Shorthorns ranging from flighty first calvers to some very old sedate "Ladies of the herd'. I remember the sound of the milking buckets pulsators, seeing bricks being put on the clusters to speed up the slow milkers (It made the 'Draw' stronger), watching the cowmen tip the milk through a filter before it went over the crinkly corrugated cooler and into the churns. I remember washing udders before milking, using a "Strip cup" with the rubber disc inside held in by a circlip. We'd milk out a few squirts of milk from each teat to check for mastitis or any other irregularities which showed up against the black rubber. Milk went out in churns then and one of my jobs was to make sure each churn was topped up to the ten gallon mark before they went on to the milk lorry and made their way to Holes and Davigdor dairies in Hove. The farm cats used to sit outside the dairy waiting for their milk or some colostrum after milking. The churns went on a "Proper" milk lorry which had poles and chain sides. It was a green and cream Bedford 'J' type, and I often used to sit in the cab and imagine myself driving it. "Old Arthur" as he was affectionately known, didn't mind.

I remember the A.I. man coming round (Mr Venice) in his 105E Anglia and Mr Teakle (Simon to me dad) the vet. Various other jobs like feeding the cows in the stalls were always a pleasure; going round with a half round tub, feed carrier, dispensing concentrates or sugar beet pulp which came dried in big hessian sacks. One of my jobs used to be to soak the sugar beet pulp for feeding. Eating linseed cake, oats and rolled maize from the barrow as we fed the cows.  :D  Putting hay in the racks, and getting a sly kick from a heifer when you were cleaning out the "Trough" behind the cows. Staggering up the "plank" to the top of the dung lump with a wheelbarrow of poo and hoping you didn't fall off on the way. Watching calves being born and later helping them on their way. All the problems we had with the new Charollais calves.  Having a chase around and rough up with the older calves.

It was a sad day when the old cowstalls went and the new three unit Alfa Laval tandem milking parlour was put in. I remember the carnage when all the cows had to have their horns cut off so they could get in the "King Yard Yokes" in the feeding area. There was blood everywhere from severed arteries in their horns. The veins were sealed with a hot iron and the stumps were coated with "Stockholm Tar" to keep the flies off the cows and seal the wounds. I remember the battering we all took trying to "Persuade" the poor cows into this new building for milking. We dragged them, surrounded them, cornered them with ropes, chased them in the door and got knocked for six when they panicked and reversed out. I got winded and bruised when one managed to turn around and bolted past me in the narrow passage and trapped me against the wall.

Harvest was always a great time of the year, the arrival of the combines from the main farm at Iford, the grey Fergies with three ton Fergy Grain trailers, which we used to ride in while the combines emptied their tanks, watching a Massey 65 with a Massey baler baling the straw. (We used to call it the nodding baler because the packer arm went up and down on top of it) Watching the man on the sledge stacking the bales and letting them go with a full stack. The early sledge had a pole which was pushed through a slot in the floor and jabbed into the ground to push the bales off.

The final bit of excitement came after the headlands were ploughed and the stubble burnt, This was almost as great a spectacle as bonfire night, as we often did it at dusk.

A few weeks after harvest we all went back to school with new uniforms........yes uniforms.....and they had to last till next year.

Christmas day we always went and did what we could to help dad get in for as much of Christmas day as possible. Christmas time was the only time; apart from special occasions when we used the "Front room", and that made it even more special as we had an open fire to keep it warm.

Our house didn't have any heating. During really cold periods, apart from hot water bottles, we used to have the upright "Valor" paraffin heaters to take the chill off our bedrooms. Paraffin used to be delivered to the house with a Bedford CA van with a tank in the back. It was put in a gallon measure and emptied into your own cans. The coal suppliers did both types of fuel. The delivery man was known as "Popeye" for some strange reason.

Meals were very different in those days too. Breakfast was always started with cereal followed by a fry up of some sort. We had dinner in the middle of the day with out fail, lovely stews and casseroles in the winter and usually home cooked fish and chips on Fridays. Pies and stewed friuit were quite common desserts. Everything was bought fresh as we only had a pantry..........no fridges then. If you wanted ice cream for dinner, one of us used to ride up the shop and get it just before dinner and bring it back carefully wrapped in newspaper to stop it melting.

"Tea" was usually about six o'clock. All meals were eaten at the dinner table without question. We used to have a brew at about eleven in the morning and again at three, just before dad want back for milking. We were allowed a few biscuits with our drink, but never allowed to eat between meals.

Sorry to go on a bit, but seeing all this old machinery brings back so many happy memories of my childhood. The good times outweighed the bad, and if you like me were a child in the late fifties and sixties, this may well bring a smile to your face too.  :)

Great post William... probably the longest one in FTF's history...  ;D

Bloody interesting read as well.. I could shut my eyes and imagine it all... I'm a little bit younger than you... so my memories are more 100 series based with the odd 35 and 65 thrown in for good measure.

It's true that although the size and actuation of equipment may change... but the real 'methods' seem to be pretty much the same - testament to the achievements of the engineers of the day I guess.

Poor old cows as well.. the horn lopping business seems to be quite barbaric.. I hope they have no nerves in those things.. poor buggers.

Anyway... thanks for a cracking read... ah... happy days  ;D

Meals were very different in those days too. Breakfast was always started with cereal followed by a fry up of some sort. We had dinner in the middle of the day with out fail, lovely stews and casseroles in the winter and usually home cooked fish and chips on Fridays. Pies and stewed friuit were quite common desserts. Everything was bought fresh as we only had a pantry..........no fridges then. If you wanted ice cream for dinner, one of us used to ride up the shop and get it just before dinner and bring it back carefully wrapped in newspaper to stop it melting.

"Tea" was usually about six o'clock. All meals were eaten at the dinner table without question. We used to have a brew at about eleven in the morning and again at three, just before dad want back for milking. We were allowed a few biscuits with our drink, but never allowed to eat between meals.

these days most are lucky to sit down together due to work! :-\ :-\

Cereal and fryup, i could only manage one, not both! :D :D :D::)

still know people who have fish 'n' chips on fridays ;) ;)

Just managed to read Will's post..... yes I think that must be a record one in terms of the numbers of words. ;D ;D Joking aside I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think I have still some 50 odd photos which I have on photobucket and still to download so if you are still interested I'll post them up later this week.

Ok specially for Will some moere old time stuff ;D ;D

WRIGHT RAIN 600 GallLIQUID MANURE TANKER WITH COMPRESSOR PUMP

1182008255.jpg

FERGUSON WITH BAMFORDS MIDMOUNTED MOWER

1182008256.jpg

MCCONNEL MOWER MOUNTED ON HYDRAULICALLY CONTROLLED POWER ARM

1182008257.jpg

HAYTER REAR MOUNTED ROTARY GRASS CUTTER

RANSOMES TRAILED TRIPLE GANG MOWER

1182008258.jpg

INTERNATIONAL FORAGE HARVESTER WITH HAY HOOD

NEW HOLLAND HAY CRIMPER

1182008259.jpg

NICHOLSON P.T.O. DRIVEN CYLINDER TYPE BACK TEDDER FOR 25FT SWATHES

1182008260.jpg

JONES BALERS

BLANCH DA CYLINDRICAL REEL TEDDER

1182008261.jpg

BLANCH SWATH TURNING FINGER WHEEL M/C

VICON MOUNTED FINGER WHEEL M?C

1182008262.jpg

VICON MOUNTED FINGER WHEEL M/C SIDE RAKING

INTERNATIONAL SELF TYING ENGINE POWER PICK UP BALER

1182008263.jpg

JONES PTO DRIVEN RAM BALER WITH PIVOTING TINE CROSS FEED

1182008264.jpg

DAVID BROWN BALER WITH TRANSVERSLY MOUNTED RAM & SIDE DELIVERY

1182008265.jpg

INTERNATIONAL BALER KNOTTER MECHANISM

WELGER LOW DENSITY PRESS TYPE PICK UP BALER

1182008266.jpg

ALLIS CHALMERS PTO DRIVEN ROLL TYPE PICK UP BALER

1182008267.jpg

NH ENDLESS BELT BALE THROWER

TROJAN BALE SLEDGE WITH RETRACTABLE SPIKES

1182008268.jpg

TROJAN REAR MOUNTED LIFTER & CARRIER FOR BALE HANDLING

1182008269.jpg

BARFORD UNMANED SLEDGE

BARFORD SIDE CRIPPING BALE LOADER

1182008270.jpg

COOK BALE SLEDGE WHICH FORMS A RECTANGULAR STACK

1182008271.jpg

NH TUMBLE STACKING OF BALES WITH ELEVATOR CONVEYOR

1182008272.jpg

PATERSON BUCK RAKE

1182008273.jpg

WILDER-STEED GREEN CROP LOADER

1182008274.jpg

FOX ENGINE DRIVEN CYLINDER CUTTER HEAD FORAGE HARVESTER WITH PICK UP ATTACHMENT

1182008275.jpg

JF SIDE ATTACHED FLAIL FORAGE HARVESTER

WILDER TRAILED WINDROWING HOOD

1182008276.jpg

LUNDELL "DOUBLE CHOP" FORAGE HARVESTER

1182008277.jpg

NH SELF LOADING FORAGE BOX

KOOLS DUMP BOX

1182008278.jpg

BADGER TUBE TYPE AUGER FEEDER

1182008279.jpg

MH 8 FOOT CUT POWER DRIVEN BINDER

1182008280.jpg

RANSOMES THRESHING MILL

1182008281.jpg

ALBION 10 FOOT TRAILED PTO SWATHER

LEVERTON RM SWATHER

JD SELF PROPELLED SWATHER WITH CRIMPING ROLLERS

1182008282.jpg

RANSOMES 12FOOT CUT COMBINE HARVESTER

1182008283.jpg

MF 12 FOOT CUT COMBINE HARVESTER

1182008284.jpg

INTERNATIONAL 7 FOOT CUT WITH GRAIN TANKER & BAGGER PLATFORM

1182008285.jpg

MF COMBINE USING WINDROW PICK UP ATTACHMENT

1182008286.jpg

LEVERTON 2 ROW POTATO RAISING PLOUGH

RANSOMES PTO DRIVEN POTATO SPINNER

1182008287.jpg

STANDEN SEMI MOUNTED ELEVATOR DIGGER

1182008288.jpg

JOHNSTON MOUNTED ELEVATOR POTATO DIGGER

WALLACE - OLIVER 2 ROW MOUNTED POTATO ELEVATOR

1182008289.jpg

STILLAGE HANDLING EQUIPMENT BEING USED FOR LOADING POTATOES

1182008290.jpg

KENNET DOUBLE HYDRAULIC EXTENSION ON FRONT LOADER

POTATO HARVESTER SIDE LOADING

1182008291.jpg

JOHNSON 2 ROW SELF PROPELLED POTATO HARVESTER

1182008292.jpg

POTATO HALM PULVERISER

1182008293.jpg

LISTER ARTICULATED ELAVATOR LOADING POTATOES

1182008294.jpg

2 ROW DOUBLE ARM ( DOW TYPE ) SUGAR BEET LIFTER

1182008295.jpg

CATCHPOLE SIDE ELEVATOR SEMI MOUNTED SUGAR BEET HARVESTER WITH OPPEL LIFT WHEELS

1182008296.jpg

STANDEN SUGAR BEET HARVESTER

1182008297.jpg

CATCHPOLE SUGAR BEET HARVESTER

SALMON SUGAR BEET HARVESTER FEEDING TRACTOR CARRIER

1182008298.jpg

CATCHPOLE SUGAR BEET CLEANER LOADER

STANDEN CARROT HARVESTER

1182008299.jpg

PRIESTMAN SIDE-DRAG-LINE EXCAVATOR CLEANING OUT A FEN "DYKE"

1182008300.jpg

MCCONNELL REAR MOUNTED TRACTOR DITCHING ATTACHMENT