When is it too wet

marshman

After talking to the farm near me, he said that yesterday lots of the local farmers went combine when it was too wet and 2 have damaged there combines badly. Just had me thinking, what can the avreage combine cope with in mosture content. What percent?

Also what does it do to the combine if its to wet, i no it puts stress on things but what usally gives way

The trouble is a few have large drying plants so they go when its to wet for the combine but they can still dry the wheat.

:) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Most round here would just like to cut something...anything!

Wet straw is difficult to cut and doesn't slip through drum and beaters - greater load on these parts, heavier on straw walkers and v. v. difficult to chop. Wet grain doesn't separate well and is difficult to move through grain side and get out of tank! Basically the whole system is overloaded.

Drying is expensive this year with gas/oil prices where they are. Over 20%, wheat takes a disproportionate amount a fuel to dry.

Most damage up here is caused by pulling combines out of wet holes. Latest (true) tale near here is guy with Lex 600+ (tracks) gets well bogged, takes his two Cats to pull it out and apparently it's now a 600 + about 9 inches...... :D

WOW 30%. Last year someone got there terra trac 600 stuck, pulled it our with a quadtrac At the mo stuffs just about getting along here. Had to stop for 30mins due to a shower. Also haveing to keep a good eye out for the wet bits, few close calls round here ::) ::)

some stupid large scale farmer was combining at 30% the other day :o we couldn't believe it, he wasn't worried about drying bills!

i know of a lexion 600 tt that took 3 hrs to dig out with a digger last year

I should have thought that he was caking himself as to how much work there is left to do. As we have 300 acres left to do, we are are snatching as and when we can- even at 26% yesterday and drying down to 19% in one bout and going through again is still better than abandoning a crop by any means just yet. So if I'm honest I don't blame him.....we're all desperate now. ;)

Most damage up here is caused by pulling combines out of wet holes. Latest (true) tale near here is guy with Lex 600+ (tracks) gets well bogged, takes his two Cats to pull it out and apparently it's now a 600 + about 9 inches...... :D

Lots of stories of combines getting bogged, and being seriously damaged when being dragged out.

Have one story of a brand new combine being completely written off when they tried to pull her out of a hole with a 12 tonne track machine. Hoping to get pics of that one.

Lots of stories of combines getting bogged, and being seriously damaged when being dragged out.

Have one story of a brand new combine being completely written off when they tried to pull her out of a hole with a 12 tonne track machine. Hoping to get pics of that one.

Didn't hear that one Stan :D :D

Haven't heard of anyone getting really stuck yet but most are being cautious with only small loads and emptying regularly - yet more ways to slow things down :(

http://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=rice+harvest+combine&fr=yfp-t-501&ei=utf-8&js=1&x=wrt

If you have a look at that i know harvesting rice is pretty damp.

You cam change the internal parts of the combine, concave, threshing cylinder etc to suit damper conditions.

Basically, you will be working the bearings, belts, chains, gears, augers a lot harder.

It will be much harder to separate the straw from the grain too. Things begin to wrap around parts and get hot. If you have ever sat in a combine when harvesting in the dark as the dew begins to set you will hear it banging as the crop bunches and bundles through.

Also as was mentioned, pulling combines out backwards could pull them in half / bend chasis's. John Deere combines can be pulled out backward because of the way the draw bar is mounted.

Not to blow my own trumpet or anything  ;D ;D

I have also heard that one day a customer went into his field of green peas that should be cut with a pea harvester and tried his axial flow to see what happened. He had some peas in the tank that were hole so they will handle a lot of moisture but beware, parts will break and get expensive.