Farming action in the Wallonie (Belgium)

Richard de Florennes

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a few miles ahead, I found my fifth and final (sugar) beet harvesting-scene of the day just before sun-set: this time a blue New Holland fitted with dual main wheels plus GILLES front topper and lifting section:

So the mower header is removing the leafy part and the cultivator is pulling the roots up to the surface for the harvester?

shall I continue posting at all? There some more 100 pictures waiting, but I can see that pictures in this topic and my two "sister-topics" receive just 1 to maximum 7 views in average?

Are the implements not interesting enough? Not old enough? Not big enough? Unknown in the UK and therefore not relevant? Or too common and usual?

or is it that this forum is mostly dedicated to modell farming and therefore live farming pictures naturally receive lower attention?

Or must I use photobucket (but how to use this tool, what is this at all, how does it work ...).

Any feedback welcome! Well I am not annoyed if nobody looks at my pics but of course it makes no sense to keep on posting for a handful of always the same people (my personal "fan club" ;-)))

Yes please continue to post RDF but with photobucket..... your pictures in another post looked so much better using PB

Richard: The unknown crop to you is chicory: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicory It is however the industrial version (root chicory) and not the 'Belgian endive'.

The crop is refined as it contains a lot of inulin which is a sort of starch and used in a lot of diffrent products which you might use in your every day live. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inulin

Niels

Richard: The unknown crop to you is chicory: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicory It is however the industrial version (root chicory) and not the 'Belgian endive'.

The crop is refined as it contains a lot of inulin which is a sort of starch and used in a lot of diffrent products which you might use in your every day live. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inulin

Niels

Wow, that is the information I wanted. Thank you very much. I had no idea that chicory can be harvested by beet machinery!

The first photo of the TM115, what kind of speed would you guess him to be doing if you can guess? It is a great photo to catch it so still but yet it shows he was moving quite quickly.  :)

well I think the speed was not more than seven miles per hours, as I could easily overtake him when running (I think I am jogging a few miles during the longer day trips on the fields for getting the right light and angles for my pictures ...).

I think however, that the speed shown on the photo is not overaggerated, as the darker light after sunset automatically makes up for longer shutter-speeds and more time of the turning wheels and blown debris of the topped leaves is spend during the ovening time of the lens.

Wow, that is the information I wanted. Thank you very much. I had no idea that chicory can be harvested by beet machinery!

Harvesting cichory does require some changes on your beet harvester. The roots are, as you have probably seen for yourself longer and thinner so most contractors replace their 'cyclones' (the spinning disc's that transport the beet through the machine) and also the guards at the side are changed so the thin roots can't slip through as easily. You also have to set up your lifting gear a lot deeper to get them all important roots complete with ends gathered as that is (just as with beet) the place where most of the inulin is gathered. It also saves you from getting a lot of volunteer plants the following year as they can be a real pain in the ass when growing potatoes for example.

Harvesting cichory does require some changes on your beet harvester. The roots are, as you have probably seen for yourself longer and thinner so most contractors replace their 'cyclones' (the spinning disc's that transport the beet through the machine) and also the guards at the side are changed so the thin roots can't slip through as easily. You also have to set up your lifting gear a lot deeper to get them all important roots complete with ends gathered as that is (just as with beet) the place where most of the inulin is gathered. It also saves you from getting a lot of volunteer plants the following year as they can be a real pain in the ass when growing potatoes for example.

Hi, thanks for this additional information. Very welcome!

Back to topic:

Operating alongside the blue New Holland and deWulf Sugar beet harvesting team was this self-propelleled AMAC potato harvester.

fIMG_2762.jpgfIMG_2763.jpgfIMG_2771.jpgfIMG_2773.jpg

Look at that Dezeure trailer   :o :o  It's massive and yet it doesn't sink?!! Something we needed on maize this year  :D

I think, sinking is not that much a problem over here in the region between Wallonie and lower Rhine area - thanks to a more continental climat we have less precipation than possible on the British islands, and not that often so muddy working conditions. However, you can often see literally nothing happining on the fields over here after a rainy period. If work permits, most farmers wait until the soil is almost dry again and than this heavy soil over hear becomes hard as concrete, so no risk of sinking ;-)

due to the success of finding such a vast amount of very interesting machinery in a rather small area, I repeated the journey two days later. It was a sunny Sunday, but when arriving back in the region after the 1 hours journey all fields were found empty when beginning with my "seek-and-destroy" mission first. I already thought there might be a law or rule in Belgium, prohibiting any farming operations on Sunday, or it might be a cultural particularity in Belgium that even farmers regard Sundays as strict family and leasure days. And although I regarded this theories as very unlikely, I was very happy to find this trio of tractors operating on one field, seeding wheat with another old vehicle parked with a seed trailer ...

zIMG_2686.jpg

zIMG_2693.jpg

zIMG_2695.jpg

zIMG_2697.jpg

zIMG_2701.jpg

zIMG_2705.jpg