BRITAIN'S No 9496 Deutz DX 4.57 Tractor in Banded Box- Hybrid or not ????

BC

Well at the Aberdeen toy fair yesterday there was a Britain's Deutz DX 4.57 sitting on a table in a rather scruffy looking BANDED box... the ones I tend not to go for. I have a DX 4.57 already but that's in an Authentic Farm Models box and well this one was sitting there just looking for a new home so I though it was not too expensive with its £ 12 price tag and bought it.

Anyway when I got it home and out of the box for inspection I compared it to David Pullen's bible and could not see a similar photograph of one in his book.

There are one or two differences on mine than the photos in the book mainly

1) The white roof on the cab

2) The stickers over the side decals reads AGROSTAR 6.08

3) The Wheel centres are coloured Grey versus white in all the book photographs

In addition the tractor has

1) Steering although not from the steering wheel

2) Black links and centre lift arm

3) Driver in brown

Overall I'm pleased with the model given the price i paid but was just wondering if it was a hybrid or has anyone else on here got a similar one  ??? ???

aa36139d.jpg

2d1d47be.jpg

8776e1f0.jpg

d3051e6d.jpg

3cf2269e.jpg

Right Mark... conversion's... that's what they are called are they ??? ???... more of a "hybrid" to me with the white roof and different decals  ??? ???.... Never mind I'm sure I've have spent £ 12 on worse things in the past and had less to show for it ;D ;D

Right Mark... conversion's... that's what they are called are they ??? ???... more of a "hybrid" to me with the white roof and different decals  ??? ???.... Never mind I'm sure I've have spent £ 12 on worse things in the past and had less to show for it ;D ;D

£ 12 for that one is nice Bill  :) :)

• 3 weeks later...

Never seen this but did overhear someone talking about a different version of the 4.57 at a Spalding event a few years ago and the name on the bonnet side is ringing a, rather quiet, bell. Does the roof look painted or is it the same colour underneath?

The decal looks a bit 'DIY' and the mudguard extensions certainly appear to have been painted (they were left green on the normal version), so I suspect the roof has been painted too.  In which case, I would strongly suspect that this is simply a third party conversion and nothing to do with Britains

I must agree that the roof does look a little sus and that the black on the outer edges of the mudguards looks hand-painted. The decals on the side of the bonnet look very slightly rubbed. Having said all this though, could it possibly be a protoype I wonder? But looking in the 'bible', the issue with black plastic links and central lift lever was the second issue produced between 1996 to 1998 and beyond so doubtful. Still a nice find though at the price.

Well after all the feedback on this one I decided to go up to the loft and retrieve my two models and do a side by side comparison.

Oh and the roof has definitely been repainted since it has "grottles" on the finish... I would not have stood for that kinda finish on my vintage collection.

b4091ba8.jpg

7aa60bf7.jpg

00797dc8.jpg

37ad36a2.jpg

683b25a7.jpg

The white wheeled one the real one has the number 3590SS on the base of the chassis

c4319ac2.jpg

The boxes

bcf42671.jpg

15a9cbac.jpg

2b3b2469.jpg

0ecfeac5.jpg

Now comparing to the David Pullen bible

8b0153ea.jpg

754eb08f.jpg

So the thing that is still really confusing me why the grey wheel rims ... I assume these must have been taken from something else when the real DX 4.57's in the box suggest they were white ??? ???

I think that the chap that 'converted' it tried to replicate the 'real' tractor. My neighbour has a real one, same model and that one has a white roof and silver wheels so there could lie the answer.

Well after all the feedback on this one I decided to go up to the loft and retrieve my two models and do a side by side comparison.

Oh and the roof has definitely been repainted since it has "grottles" on the finish... I would not have stood for that kinda finish on my vintage collection.

The white wheeled one the real one has the number 3590SS on the base of the chassis

c4319ac2.jpg

The one I have has the green roof and white wheels but has 1258S on the underside of the chassis, I don't know what these numbers refers to though

The one I have has the green roof and white wheels but has 1258S on the underside of the chassis, I don't know what these numbers refers to though

I was under the impression that these numbers had something to do with Chinese production ??? probably which slow boat they went on  ::);D

grottles equal streaks or snots?

I was under the impression that these numbers had something to do with Chinese production ??? probably which slow boat they went on  ::);D

grottles equal streaks or snots?

Gritty and a terrible paint job finish ;D ;D