Actuall Tractor Speeds???

MODELFARMER

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The information I just put here came from the police, an expert on the subject in fact. before I was told this I'd always been led to believe it was 3 cars but was told there was no set amount of cars you could have behind you before you were forced to stop as in a lot of cases there is no where to stop on roads for several miles at a time, especially about here, so it isn't possible to make that sort of restriction. I've had 50+ cars behind me on the A47 behind and that was just between two layby's and included a police var, nothing I could do about it though

you are legally required to pull over after 7 vehicles get behind you!! obviously if you cant pull up then you cant. i was expected to pull up on the other side of the road as well because was two laybys on the other side!!

There is no set number of vehicles anywhere in the legislation, it is a matter of "reasonable consideration" for other road users. As Gav says, it would be reasonable to pull in at every available opportunity provided that it does not contravene any other law.

The problem is that the definition of what is reasonable is a subjective test and may differ from one person to the next.

When you think about it our 3050 is actually doing 50k a modern 50k will pass her but not by much,

is your 3050 fitted with a 50k box then ricky ? chap i used to know ran 2 deeres 3050 & 3055 & both were fitted with 50K boxes , his fuel consumption was horrendous  :(

As Robo says there is nothing in the law about how many vehicles you can have behind you and when it would become an offence.

This is what the highway code has to say.

Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.

Note it also says if necessary. It will be for the prosecution to proove that you were inconsiderate/ careless driving - the number of vehicles you were holding up and the number of possible stopping places you pass would be evidence towards this.

BGU

Aka Traffic Sarge!! :D :D

I used to have a 1967 MF135 multi-power, that would do 21.5 mph on the flat. That was until the engine seized and I replaced it with a recon, the pump on the new engine seemed not to have been limited the same as the original, as it would rev right round to the zero stop and the tractor would do over 25 mph on the flat. I was to afraid to open it right out ,other than in short bursts, as I had visions of pistons flying out all over the place.

On the 20mph speed limit on tractors, I believe this only applies if the tractor is towing a trailer.

Police Legal Database.

Item 9.

An agricultural motor vehicle is limited to a maximum speed of 40 mph on all roads.

NOTES:

This Part applies only to motor vehicles, not being track-laying vehicles, every wheel of which is fitted with a pneumatic tyre and to such vehicles drawing one or more trailers, not being track-laying vehicles, every wheel of which is fitted with a pneumatic tyre.

is your 3050 fitted with a 50k box then ricky ? chap i used to know ran 2 deeres 3050 & 3055 & both were fitted with 50K boxes , his fuel consumption was horrendous  :(

Only 30 and 40km/hr boxes Marcus - some differences due to tyres.

Also 3055 was that a once off - never heard of one of those maybe 4055 ???

Police Legal Database.

Item 9.

An agricultural motor vehicle is limited to a maximum speed of 40 mph on all roads.

NOTES:

This Part applies only to motor vehicles, not being track-laying vehicles, every wheel of which is fitted with a pneumatic tyre and to such vehicles drawing one or more trailers, not being track-laying vehicles, every wheel of which is fitted with a pneumatic tyre.

I think you will find that only applies to tractors fitted with air braking and suspension.