Asbestos?

James T

Could any of you kind peeps help me with identifying this white material seen on the underside of a small piece of a wind-damaged roof?  It doesn't belong to a farm building, but to a water authority building built around the mid 1960s.  Is it asbestos?

???

ecc54b88.jpg

Does it crumble into dust when broke  :-\ :-\

dont do that!!!!!! :o :o :o, just dont touch it, its the dust thats dangerous....in time

as it was built in the mid 60's, i'd be surprised if it wasnt Asbestos!, the water authority should have an asbestos register, BT do for all there buildings, ask Sean ;)

Doesn't look like it to me looks like that old compound fiber stuff  but don't touch it phone up the environment agency like Ben said  ;) ;)

could be right Simon?, cant see the pic at work today for another look  >:(

if in doubt, just ask, better to be safe than sorry later on in life, its only harmful if it is asbestos when the dust is inhaled, other than that its 'safe' if undisturbed :-\

Much asbestos is moderately 'safe' anyway. The one to concern yourself with is AIB, unsealed board, chrysotile type stuff.

You'll find it used as firebreaks around partitions in 20th C buildings and looks a bit like fibre cement roof sheet but more white and powdery. This one is dangerous because it's a raw compressed board which haemorrages dust when it moves, hence it wasn't very suitable as fire stopping because flexing has caused most ceiling voids to become full of asbestos dust. Most of what anyone will come into contact with these days is fairly harmless as you find it, there's a lot of hysteria surrounding asbestos because it was treated as harmless and turned out not to be. If you approach it the same way as battery acid or something - ie with care - it's not going to make you poorly. It was the data cablers in the 80's who had the biggest problems [after those who installed it in the first place], banging through these fire breaks with hole saws in enclosed voids, making and inhaling loads of dust. That's when asbestos is dangerous, not finding a lump of a sealed board lying on the floor. Try not to panic!!!  ;D

personaly i would get it checked, and wouldnt move it round to much till you know, as ben said we now have a huge list of site for us and other companys where we cant work ect, amazing how much of the stuffs round without knowing about it, could well be straw board, but why risk it?? its free to have then check it ,water board should know anyway as part of there regestar

Thanks for your responses folks.  I should explain that it isn't causing me a problem or anything like that, it's just out of curiosity.  The building is near a favourite hillwalking haunt of mine at Loch Sloy at the north end of Loch Lomond.  The building has been vandalised in the past and has become very shabby in the past couple of years.  Here's a view of the area from the nearby dam, the building in qustion is the furthest away one in the cluster.

b5ec6895.jpg

just saw this topic ( i know i havent been on here in a while) the product you are looking at was made by a company called strammit and these were straw based insulation boards. the rats love them as too do the birds and if you get a fire hot enough they do combust and you wouldnt want to be in the building.

As for asbestos the content should be nill.