The Adventures of Marky and Mavis... the MF240QD - new to me on 14th November 08

Lord Ferguson

The big question.... restore her or not ?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. The big question.... restore her or not ?

• Yep... give her the works
    • No... leave her alone

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've spent a bit of time on old Mavis today... we have the local vintage road run on Sunday... so I've been painting up some front weights... and overhauling her worn out MF float-o-matic seat... the entire system had collapsed, rendering her seat fixed and not floating.. I've had a brainwave and she's now fitted with roller bearings (well... she will be when the paint drys) in place of the old nylon dry roller system, which had long since worn down to bear metal.

I've had to replace some of the metal on the roller guide as it had been broken for so long it had actually worn it's way through 3.5mm of metal  :of

Being the pillock I am... I forgot to take some pictures of before hand  :-[  .. but here it is 'in the paint shop'  :D :D :D

9f20ef41.jpg

and here's the weights...

fa0da631.jpg

Looks good the front weights Mark

Have uploaded the film of Sandra driving Mavis so here is the link!

I hope it is in the air and playable!

Great video Johnny... I reckon Sandra is well suited to Mavis... perhaps I should sell her to you  ;):D :D :D

They hold the front down Marcus  :of::):D :D

Seriously... The early MF240 had grey 100 series weights mate... it was a year or two before the 45kg 200 series weight came out

hardy har har gfaaawww.

really mark ? i thought the first 240's were released while the last dregs of the 100's were still coming off the line so would still have been red ? . but then only really seen these weights in red

No mate... they were Grey... honest gov... I've also seen some silver ones on some export models as well  :of ...

On to today... Lumpy suffers from the same 'affliction' as me... he's over 6ft tall... which makes it a strain on your back when working the log splitter... BINGO... one idea later and hey presto...

b5d29c73.jpg

as it turned out to be a GOOD idea... we'll say it was mine  ;)

9ed89443.jpg

They hold the front down Marcus  :of::):D :D

Seriously... The early MF240 had grey 100 series weights mate... it was a year or two before the 45kg 200 series weight came out

mark,that is serious mf knowledge you have about the weights,wouldnt have had a clue about that

He does buddy.... his real name is a triple word score in scrabble... so he got the nickname a few years back as we couldn't get our tongues around his Lithuanian version.

he calls me 'Zashneee Guliver' which I believe translates to "Goose Face/head" in Lithuanian and is considered a (mild) insult  :-[ :'(

One of my cardboard customers called me today.... not ACTUALLY a real cardboard customer, as they would not be able to talk or use the phone... you know what I mean.... anyway... they had 3 mill-sized bales of cardboard for me to collect and they were only up the other end of the estate... too far for the forklift and hardly worth hooking the trailer up for - so I had to call in 'multi-power Mavis' for the job - I used the 3 point Euro 8 headstock I recently purchased with my forklift carriage I have for the loader.

c7068305.jpg

Just back in to the pallet... lift to transport position and hey presto..

8066e6a1.jpg

6db6a407.jpg

I was thinking to myself today what a lucky sod I am really.... having a Mavis to potter about on  :-[:) ...

Looks good Marky  :)

Any reason for the LED beacon?

thanks mate.... not really... other than it was one I had kicking about.. I've got a bit of a beacon 'fetish' actually... I've got LOTS of them for some reason  :-[

yes its true  the came with the 100s weights the 2000s tractors when the came out at the start the had weights that look like fiat weights but they were MF weights  :D

I didn't know that.... off to try to find an image of one in my early brochures now Robert... its true that you learn something every day

thanks mate.... not really... other than it was one I had kicking about.. I've got a bit of a beacon 'fetish' actually... I've got LOTS of them for some reason  :-[

Ahh yeah fair enough! We have just bought a few as our rotating ones keep burning out  ???