MUD how to

Fendthead

Question

So many people have been asking so here goes.

I had the weight block off the 818 sitting on the bench so I thought I would mud it up and at the same time do a bit on here,( and I have a new airbrush that just had to be played with :D) sorry it,s not a whole tractor. But the bench is a bit full of other things at the min

1st pic is of the mud mix, this is green filler ( can't remember the make and it's down in the shed ::)) mixed with a small amount of the mat brown paint I use tamiya paints. To get sloppy mud put this mix on real wet, for dryer mud let it set a little then once put on the model keep moving it about with the brush to get a lumpy effect. Keep building this up it is trial and error realy. I have started to put it on the model in the second photo

post-1877-132638990221_thumb.jpg

post-1877-132638990231_thumb.jpg

Once you have got the mud to look as you want it let it dry. Now you need to get the airbrush out, I use 2 types of airbrush both are double action one with a medium needle and then one with a fine 0.2 needle to apply realy small amounts of paint,for this model I used tamiya flat earth paint. You need to paint the filler 1st so start with the roughest areas and start to build the look you want up slowly it is very easy to over do it and end up with a brown tractor :-\

1st picture is mid way through the painting

2nd is finished and on the tractor, for the last part I fitted the block onto the tractor then added a little more mud and finished the painting, it had to be fitted for the last bit to get the mud to look right

post-1877-132638990238_thumb.jpg

post-1877-132638990251_thumb.jpg

This last photo is a bit of a before and after with an 820 that is getting the treatment for someone ;D

The whole thing is trial and error, you just have to apply the filler slowely and be sure were you want it. One thing is this is a display look once you have done this to the tractor you cant play with it as the filler is very fragile.

I have plans to use this tractor in a diorama with a spreader/ tanker........If barry ever sends me one :D :D

post-1877-132638990501_thumb.jpg

That is simply superb... I MUST have a go at that.... can you get me a brand name for the filler you use please Mr FH...

Thanks so much for sharing your tips... you are the daddy of all things muddy that's for sure... how long have you been doing this kind of thing ???

like all the other musts you have yet to do!!!.....hows the transit?

great work Fendthead, sure Jezzy will like that tip!

like all the other musts you have yet to do!!!.....hows the transit?

great work Fendthead, sure Jezzy will like that tip!

I am accepting that challenge and in the process of buying a workbench in Deutschland to put in the basement.

Errrrm a long time :D on and off but the fendt was the first tractor. I think the filler is signal ??? you can use any filler

Forgive me for being stupid but do you mean normal filler as in polyfilla?

I tried mixing some decorators filler wiht paint last night... seemed to go on ok actually... not sure what it's like now it's dried mind you... will post the results if it looks good enough  :)

post anyway Marky, we can advise then!  :) :)

well Tris i was speeking to my dad and he said he used to take playdo and run the tractors over it but it cant be to warm because it becomes sticky  and when he had all the tracks in places he would add some mud effects (real mud or paint) wait for it all to dry then put PVA glue all over it to sort of seal it

well dave what do you have planed now ????????????????????

Get these flails finished aaaaaaaah no more :D then I have a jd to finish, with mud again weeee, and then I have a plan for a fendt,a spreader thats on it's way (hint barry :D) and a UH telehandler and a very muddy diorama ;) all by the end of Jan, oh yer and I have to do my company tax return :'(

is it the west spreader your getting or a tanker  ;), im awaiting a tanker ( hint, hint barry )  :D :D :D

you lucky sod  ;):D :D :D

Get these flails finished aaaaaaaah no more :D then I have a jd to finish, with mud again weeee, and then I have a plan for a fendt,a spreader thats on it's way (hint barry :D) and a UH telehandler and a very muddy diorama ;) all by the end of Jan, oh yer and I have to do my company tax return :'(

wow well can't wait till the telehandler  and the jd + fendt and spreader